• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

They like us! They really like us!

mrbigjas

"They like us!  They really like us!"

The New York Times, perhaps. But New Yorkers, never. They may find those in the provinces amusing perhaps even quaint and charming, but agree that a proper aloofness must be maintained. Like the country club scene from "A Passage To India" where Mrs Moore was scolded from leaving the patio to become friendly with the locals.

The article was great for Philadelphia and a pleasure to read - well written and a good feel for Philadelphia, its history and traditions. Alas, the places listed were mostly predictable - the tourist route.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The article was great for Philadelphia and a pleasure to read - well written and a good feel for Philadelphia, its history and traditions.  Alas, the places listed were mostly predictable - the tourist route.

Yes, I was a little disappointed at the by-the-numbers choices there. Reading Terminal, Gepatjim's for cheesesteaks, blah blah blah. At least there was that (brief) shout-out to the roast pork & greens at Tony Luke's: a much more representative and distinctive example of old-school Philly cuisine. And (not surprisingly, I guess) something the author was pointed toward by a local...

The New York Times, perhaps. But New Yorkers, never. They may find those in the provinces amusing perhaps even quaint and charming, but agree that a proper aloofness must be maintained. Like the country club scene from "A Passage To India" where Mrs Moore was scolded from leaving the patio to become friendly with the locals.

The article was great for Philadelphia and a pleasure to read - well written and a good feel for Philadelphia, its history and traditions. Alas, the places listed were mostly predictable - the tourist route.

Í am one New Yorker who LOVES Philadelphia. I am a native NYer, now living in the NJ environs, who discovered Philly about 14 years ago by going to the great annual Flower Show they have in March. I have seen the city evolve, it has such a great way of preserving the history-- I would call Philadelphia the true American city; NY is more eclectic and international, NY has wiped out most historic buildings, Philly has saved most of them. And the coming of age of the restaurants has been a joy. Philly restos are now just about on a par with the NY ones, just not as many of them, and priced a few bucks cheaper as well.

The Society Hill area, its preservation and restoration, is a marvel-- somehting that you can never see in NY. LOVE Philly!!

?am one New Yorker who LOVES Philadelphia.

And rest assured, Philadelphia loves you back!

Oh Jesus, I hope not.

That damn advertising campaign done sunk in your brain, boy.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Indeed, Philadelphia has erected a statue proclaiming it's love for both Rich and Menton1.  Andrew too - everyone - as long as you don't wheel into town on a skateboard.  (local, anti-Street jab).

I want to visit this statue on a VIP Egullet tour for "NYers who love Philly"; We could do breakfast at Blue in Green, light afternoon coffee at Metropolitan Bakery on Market, and dinner at, maybe, Fork. Perhaps in the down time I could get a tour on a skull of the Schuylkill. (Here's one NYer who can both spell AND pronounce Schuylkill!!

menton, you left out lunch at the terminal.

plus, post drinking late night snack down in Chinatown.

plus, the actual drinking after the fork dinner.

i think holly's fibbing about the statue.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

menton, you left out lunch at the terminal. 

plus, post drinking late night snack down in Chinatown. 

plus, the actual drinking after the fork dinner.

i think holly's fibbing about the statue.

Have you not been to Love Park just west of City Hall, on the way to the Rocky steps?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I suppose everyone remembers Episode 1 (hbo, that is) where da G was here in Philly taking part in cop training.  He really wanted to take someone down.  Respect!

just saw that last night. too funny.

Awright, we're in pursuit of One Bruvva, One Honky...

not as slow as rich.

you should see him waddle to the bar to get either another beer

or the glass of water in between.

Knee surgery will do that to you, Herb. Remind me to show you next time we meet. Cheeky monkey.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

The New York Times, perhaps. But New Yorkers, never.

I love Philly. So fuck you.

By the way, a correction ran in today's Times: "An article in the Dining section last Wednesday about the street foods of Philadelphia misidentified an avenue that intersects Ninth and Wharton Streets near two popular restaurants, Pat's King of Steaks and Geno's Steaks. It is Passyunk, not Manayunk."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I love Philly. So fuck you.

That's lust, not love.

By the way, a correction ran in today's Times: "An article in the Dining section last Wednesday about the street foods of Philadelphia misidentified an avenue that intersects Ninth and Wharton Streets near two popular restaurants, Pat's King of Steaks and Geno's Steaks. It is Passyunk, not Manayunk."

I saw that but figured, since it was in the New York Times it must be true.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter