• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fine vine for under $10

timothycdavis

Any nice reds under $10 anyone would recommend as a good versatile table wine to keep around the house for little impromptu suppers and to use as gifts? I have some personal faves, but wanted to branch out a bit.

tanks.

T

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

I always have some bottles of Robert's Rock malbec-shiraz blend. It is very enjoyable by itself, and pleasant with most foods (although not with Polish food). Plus since it is hard to find, it makes an interesting gift.

Anne E. McBride

My fave "grab-and-go-red" to have on hand is the Osborne Solaz from Spain. It cost about $7.00 is NJ (shh-h-h-h!) and is 80% Tempranillo/20% Cabernet. Tastes like a slightly more powerful Rioja, is smooth, medium tannin and body and very food friendly. Total Wine carries it at that price point.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Pepperwood Grove Syrah has been reliable for a wine priced under $7. Costco has had it (in NJ) for 5.99 occasionally. Good with burgers...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher of the Wall Street Journal wine staff covered inexpensive red jug wines in a September column.

Liked:

Belmondo Merlot Delle venezie 2000 at 6.99 for 1.5L

Dario D'Angelo Montepulciano d'Abruzzo at 5.99

Foxhorn Vineyards Merlot at 7.49

column ran September 6, 2002

They tend to be reliable wine guides based on my limited experience

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

If its available in your part of the country, the Snoqualmie Syrah is a total steal at $8-$9/per.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Borsaio from Spain is very good and runs about $6.99.

Another one that's easy to drink but not terribly boring is the Rosemount Shiraz/Cab blend. I think that's the one. It has a purple label and runs about $6.99. Rosemount Shiraz is good too, and it runs around $10.00.

Blackstone Merlot $8.99 -- good

Gordon, Trimbach Pinot Gris costs about $18.00 here in Austin. Is it cheaper where you are? I love it, but wouldn't consider it an every day wine because of the price.

Another at $9.99 is Guigal Cote du Rhone and in white a Firesteed Pinot Gris from Oregon

I had the Firesteed last weekend for the first time and it got a thumbs up from several people.

Another one that's easy to drink but not terribly boring is the Rosemount Shiraz/Cab blend. I think that's the one. It has a purple label and runs about $6.99. Rosemount Shiraz is good too, and it runs around $10.00.

Even cheaper and OK too is the Yellowtail Shiraz.

The Trimbach Pinot Gris is in the $16-18 range in NY/CT the last time I had it.

My favourite is Ravenswood Zinfandel, usually found for $9.99.  I usually have a case or two in stock at the house.

the best part about the vintners blend is that it can be found for about 7.67 here in NJ. it's our throw-away "house wine." love it.

Parallel 45, Belleruche, Les Abeilles and Les Becs Fins: delectable Cotes du Rhone all under (or around) $10. Micante Le Pupille, Costera Argiolas and Viticcio: better-than-potable Italians under (more or less) $10. Hecula, a few Monastrells and Solanera: excellent Spanish deals, all hovering around diez dollares, hombre. Just my prejudice of course, but why venture to the new world when old world values are so superior. And that $7 Spanish Borsao? For $7 it's not bad, though it's by no means good, and since you can get a CdR for another buck fiddy: splurge!

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

All due respect Tommydude but uh this here thread is about RED wines under $10. :muahaha: :angry:

While i've had some great ones from S. Africa :rolleyes: they were not inexpensive...

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

All due respect Tommydude but uh this here thread is about RED wines under $10.  :muahaha: :angry:

While i've had some great ones from S. Africa :rolleyes: they were not inexpensive...

my bad. i thought it was red and white. ok then, i'll throw in beaucastel CdR then, which comes in just over 10 i think.

edit: wrong. i get it for 18 or 19, which clearly isn't 10. :sad:

Edited by tommy (log)

Beaucastel CdR $25 last i checked :winkkkk: but worth it

-Beaumarchais