• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cru Bourgeois

hollywood

Thanks, Fat Guy.  It seems the use of the term Cru Bourgeois is more prevalent now.  Maybe I'm dreaming.

IMHO the reason it seems more prevalent is that more makers are bottling and exporting there wines into the US. For years in many smaller wine bars and bistros in France (esp. in the more rural areas) when you ordered a Bordeaux you regularly got a Cru Bourgeois.

I looked at the link and have to disagree with it. Yes there are 3 categories but I am sure they are;

Cru Bourgeois

Cru Grand Bourgeois

Cru Grand Bourgeois Exceptionel

Not sure where they get the superieur bit from.

ctgm

You are correct as of the 1978 classification.

Epicurious is correct as of 1932.

But, that said, all of it is meaningless in terms of wine quality.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

But, that said, all of it is meaningless in terms of wine quality.

Viejo

I tend to agree with you BUT...

as opposed to the Grand Cru classification of the Medoc, which has no room for change, the Bourgeois and St. Emilion get re-evaluated every so often, although I presume that the local politics has a lot to do with who gets promoted or relegated

I looked at the link and have to disagree with it. Yes there are 3 categories but I am sure they are;

Cru Bourgeois

Cru Grand Bourgeois

Superieur means that the wine was naturally able to achieve one degree of alcohol more than the minimum required by the AOC. This means the grapes were riper and should produce better wine.

Some of my favorites:

Cru Bourgeois-

Chateau Patache d'Aux, Medoc

Chateau Noaillac, Medoc

Vieux Chateau Landon, Medoc

Chateau Ramage La Batisse, Haut Medoc (excellent)

Chateau Hantellian, Haut Medoc

Chateau Cap Leon Veyrin, Listrac

Chateau Le Haye, St. Estephe

also

Chateau Siran, Grand Cru Exceptionnel, Margaux

Watch out for the wines of Fronsac as they can be great values.

Some of my favorites:

Cru Bourgeois-

Chateau Noaillac, Medoc

also

I had hoped you'd chime in. Thanks for the recos.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Some of my favorites:

Cru Bourgeois-

Chateau Noaillac, Medoc

also

I had hoped you'd chime in. Thanks for the recos.

There are so many of these it is impossible to keep up with all the good wines. Usually a large retailer will find several they like and purchase large quantaties. I think The Wine House has a good selection as does The Wine Exhange out in Orange. At The Wine House you could check with Chip - he is a first class Bordeaux guy.

Craig, thanks for the info about superieur. Always can rely on you!!

Some of my preferred CBs not mentioned are

Phelan Segur

Angludet

Gloria

Haut Marbuzet

Liversan

Meyney

Ormes de Pez

Beau Site

Bernadotte

Moulin Riche (2nd wine of Poyferre - how many 2nd wines of GCCs are CBs?)

CTQM

At an importer tasting a few weeks back I tasted the Chateau Phelan Segur, Grand Bourgeois Exceptionnel, 2000.

It was very good. Very Big. Lots of fruit. Typically a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc

But distributor list is $41.59. Even with quantity discounts price will not be every day wine.

Viejo

Edited by viejo majadero (log)

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Yes Phelan Segur does seem to have out priced itself. In the UK you can pick up the 2000 for about $32 inc taxes and Duty. I remember buying a case of 1990 in Leclerc (a French supermarket) for about 50FF a bottle (in 1992/3) and I bought a bottle or two of the 1959 for 300FF a bottle.

Some of the CBs are the most guilty of them all when it comes to price increases. Something like Sociando Mallet is utterly overpriced IMHO and my broker in Bordeaux offered the 2000 vintage to me at €40 a bottle. Having said that the French and their 2000 prices seem to have gone way way way way over the top.

Edited by ctgm (log)

Ormes de Pez

Poujeaux

Roc de Cambes

Beind pedantic, Roc de Cambes is not a Cru Bourgeois as it comes from Bourges.

I have had it a few times and must say that my palate doesn't agree with a lot of others when it comes to this one. Also I seem to remember that it is very expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
Superieur means that the wine was naturally able to achieve one degree of alcohol more than the minimum required by the AOC. This means the grapes were riper and should produce better wine.

I don't believe there is a "superieur" designation allowed in the cru bourgeois classification, or at least have found no reference to it in my library of wine books. There is a Cru Artisanal which comes in just below Bourgeois but is not recognized by the EU (yet). The classifications are exactly as CTGM stated, however. But Craig is correct in that where the term "surperieur" or "superiore" is used it is to recognize a higher level of ripeness (between .05 and 1 degree higher alcohol, depending on the appellation).

• 2 weeks later...

Cru Bourgeois

Cru Grand Bourgeois

Just received some offers from one of the negociants I use in Bordeaux and included was the follwoing:

"As you know, the Crus Bourgeois of the Médoc have just been reclassified. Of

the 450 Châteaux previously entitled to use this mention on the label, a

mere 247 remain......a selection of the newly classified Crus Bourgeois Supérieurs, the category

just below the 9 Crus Bourgeois Exceptionnels."

Nice to learn something new.