• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best wings in north Jersey?

hscottk

FINKS

I've eaten one wing at Fink's, and from it I concluded (tentatively) that Fink's has really good sauce on breaded wings. I'd like them better, I'm sure, if they were unbreaded. I'm not even sure I accept flour as useful in Buffalo-style wings. In my experience the interaction of the sauce and the wings doesn't occur properly if there's a coating.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Damn, apparently I have quite a list of places to check out now.

I'm a fan of the Buffalo chicken tenders at Joe's American bar and grill in the Short Hills Mall. No breading, no bones, and a damn good sauce. For those times when I just don't wanna get down and dirty with a dozen wings and a pitcher of beer.

If you said Sharkys and his response was "Wings" well then I gotta go.

MSK

• 10 months later...

it took me almost a year, but i finally got over to sharky's last night for some wings and pool. i was looking for a place where i could root for the red sox and not fear for my life. sharky's was not that place, but they did offer up some really fine wings.

you have a choice of 6 sauces (mild, medium, hot, extra hot, bbq, and teriyaki), and iirc, a small order has 10 pieces and a large has 16. they had larger servings too. we ordered ours with 'hot' sauce, which was delicious and not overly vinegar-y, which always bugs me. i don't think the wings were floured first, but i could be wrong, because they really had an excellent crispiness.

i'm going to be here a lot, i just know it. oh, and if you go, you should also experience their interpretation of a mini-burger. go soon, and go hungry. :smile:

Western PA has a few choices cause Ohio seems to be a real hot bed for wings. Quaker Steak and Lube (started in OH) has really good wings and the decor is it's claim to fame. My favorite for wings is BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) in Indiana but they are a franchise and have outlets in Pittsburgh. They have places in New York (Way upstate) to Nevada and Florida to North Dakota. Columbus OH also has a chain called Roosters that's pretty good too.

My problem is that I'm from Long Island and there's nothing out here.

Having grown up in Buffalo and spent my college years there- I can attest to Duff's great wings. Breading or flour are a crime- Wings are best when prepared simply- Deep fried real hot and fresh and sauced with Franks Hot Sauce and butter. I just hate when they try to improve or make it diferent and FAIL.

CLUCK-U does an admirable job. I try chicken wings all over but am never happy- The other thing is they must be served with celery and GOOD blue cheese dressing- not ranch or some other glue.

Glad I got that out.

Still searching- do occasionally get back to Buffalo for a fix.

Of the Buffalo wings I enjoy the most, I must say that I am a big supporter of Cluck-U. But really, I don't like their wings so much as their Buffalo "fingers," and I don't really eat anything that's hot for the sake of it just being hot, and so I usually get mild. S

ounds kind of strange i guess, but to me, cluck-u's mild "wet bites" or "hot bites," as they're sometimes called, are just perfect. A healthy portion of juicy white meat, crispily coated with breading in a wonderful sauce. If you like cluck-u, the best location in my opinion is the Morristown one, which uses a different breading from any other cluck-u in the country (I inquired about this after trying a few other Cluck-U locations with a seamingly different coating), which turns out to be crispier.

My favorite wings though are at Benchwarmers in ithaca. Their "sweet and spicy" wings are just perfect. Usually plump, perfectly crisped, with a fantastic sauce -- and really cheap on mondays, at 20 cents a piece.

Just My 2 Cents.

I'm curious to know if any of you North Jerseyites have tried the wing place across the street from where Little Saigon used to be in Nutley. I think it's called "Gone with the Wings" - just a little take-out joint. I used to see it after sating my Viet food cravings but never wanted wings at that point.

About the crispiness - of one thing I'm certain: wings that have been purchased frozen and then thawed before frying never seem to achieve the crispiness. Only fresh wings cooked in good oil that's hot enough and cooked for long enough will achieve that remarkable crispy crunch in the skin but it's worth seeking out.

I have tried Gone with the Wings in Nutley several times but I have been dissapointed. The wings are dry and the sauce leaves little to be desired. The blue cheese even tastes a little gluey. The wings at fuddruckers are even better which isn't saying much. The wings at Crows Nest in Hackensack are decent if they cook the wings crispy.

The wings at Crows Nest in Hackensack are decent if they cook the wings crispy.

Here's a tip (but you probably already knew this) - the produce market right across the parking lot from the Crow's nest, just north of it - has an really good fresh fish counter. The quality seems to very consistent and they have some of the best prices in the area. I have a friend who lived in the area - his wife is Brazilian and accustomed to cooking fish four or five times per week. She swore by this place and would not buy her fish anywhere else when they lived in Lodi.

Thanks Phaelon for the tip. I actually live about 5 blocks away from the Crows Nest and go shopping at the produce place every once in a while for veggies but never tried there fresh fish. We eat fish on a regular basis so it's great to know another place. We usually shop at the Chinese Market in River Edge off kinderkamack Rd..

Pat

Edited by irongut (log)

They're not Buffalo wings but the best wings of any kind I have ever tasted are at the Pea Pod on RT 34 in Old Bridge. They are called Chicken Wings Peppery and are out of this world!