• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best wings in north Jersey?

hscottk

Everyone shout out for the best buffalo wings in north Jersey. So far, the best unbreaded wings I've managed to find are at Sharky's in Clifton. It's a bit of a dive bar, but the wings are crisp and juicy, and the hot sauce is top notch.

Any other diamonds in the rough out there? Oh, and wings with breading and/or flour need not apply!

BTW.. the best wings I've ever had probably were at Duff's in Buffalo. Those guys know their stuff.

you're so right about breaded wings. what are people thinking? did they grow up in a place where chicken skin/fat isn't coating enough?!?!? :blink:

Gaffer's in west orange has some damned fine crispy wings. although, they've been a little light on sauce once or twice (ask for extra).

Scuttlebutt's in Nutley has some damned fine crispy wings as well.

where's sharky's???

Everyone shout out for the best buffalo wings in north Jersey.  So far, the best unbreaded wings I've managed to find are at Sharky's in Clifton.  It's a bit of a dive bar, but the wings are crisp and juicy, and the hot sauce is top notch.

Any other diamonds in the rough out there?  Oh, and wings with breading and/or flour need not apply!

BTW.. the best wings I've ever had probably were at Duff's in Buffalo.  Those guys know their stuff.

location?? i been jonesin' for quality wings.

sharky's dive bar. in clifton. yeah. i like the sounda that.

I don't recognize the names of several of these towns but are any of the Quaker Steak & Lube locations in the part of Pennsylvania that's close to North Jersey? If so, I think these are the cream of the crop -- Buffalo has got nothing on PA when it comes to wings.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't recognize the names of several of these towns but are any of the Quaker Steak & Lube locations in the part of Pennsylvania that's close to North Jersey? If so, I think these are the cream of the crop -- Buffalo has got nothing on PA when it comes to wings.

none close, i don't think. however, their wings are "famous" and their burger "voted best." so there ya go.

Sharky's is on the Clifton/Passaic border on Highland Ave. You take rt 3 to rt 21 north, and get off at exit 11A, I believe. Then it's a right off the exit, and it quick left onto Paulson. You take that for about 4 miles through Passaic, pass by a strip mall, and eventually turn left on Highland. The bar is about a block down the street on the lefthand corner.

Regarding Quaker State & Lube.... I read all about them and they sound fantastic, but they're all in western PA. 4 hours is a bit of a drive to get good wings. I actually found out about them right AFTER taking a cross country trip last year that took me along rt 80. If only I had known....

thirsty moose does wings - not breaded - with mild, medium or hot sauce.

went out to lunch last week and ordered wings and a green salad. the wings came out hot and crispy, with enough sauce to thoroughly coat each crevice and pool gently under each of the dozen pieces. mmmmmmmmmm... :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

thirsty moose does wings - not breaded - with mild, medium or hot sauce.

went out to lunch last week and ordered wings and a green salad.  the wings came out hot and crispy, with enough sauce to thoroughly coat each crevice and pool gently under each of the dozen pieces. mmmmmmmmmm... :wub:

Um... I beg to differ on this one.

I went to The Thirsty Moose during my misspent 'quest for wings' autumn last year (nice drive btw...).

The wings were decent, but not naked. According to the server, they use either breading or flour on them (I forget which).

We purists are hard to please.

i think I mentioned Mr. Cluck you is my neighbor...I think he has great wings, and I think they are just floured, they don't seem heavily breaded. I must admit its been over a year since I had any..but I'm pretty sure. Next time his Rotty jumps his own electric dog fence,a nd my electric dog fence, and I call him to come retrieve her, I'll ask and let you know! :laugh:

hscottk, how about just a *little* flour.  isn't that acceptable?  i mean, i'm with you on this one and all, but sometimes a little flour helps the crisping, and is unnoticeable otherwise.  :unsure:

First, I should mention that I do have a bit of an agenda here, because I do a low carb diet when I'm trying to lose weight and flour doesn't really work for me there.

But the fact remains that the best wings I have ever had were not breaded or dipped in flour. Yet they still managed to create a crispy, juicy wing with tremendous flavor. And standard 'buffalo wings' do not use breading or flour. In fact, the Quaker Steak and Lube wings that FG mentioned earlier are served 'naked' and are raved about.

Perhaps a blind taste test is in order?

Edited to add: my wife just mentioned that she had the Quaker Steak wings in Pittsburgh a few years back and they kicked a$$.

Edited by hscottk (log)