• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Thai Omelet

Fat Guy

Another nice article, Mamster. I really enjoy your writing.

Interesting comment on the peanut oil. We can still get it in the grocery stores here (Houston) althoug it is pretty expensive. Maybe it is a "south'n thang". It is the preferred oil for frying turkeys but canola is pushing it out due to cost.

But now I am wondering about the peanut oil you refer to. The grocery store stuff doesn't have much of a flavor to me. I think Lou Anna brand is what we usually have. My next trip to my Asian market will definitely include a search for the brand you referred to. Thanks for the tip.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi, I usually recommend avoiding supermarket peanut oil--it's expensive and flavorless, as you say. (If you want an oil like this, grapeseed makes more sense.) The Lion & Globe brand seems to be pretty well distributed to Asian markets, and while it's still expensive, it's worth it, because the flavor is awesome. You get a great aroma when you heat it in a pan.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I second that. Now. Picked some up Wednesday and used it tonight to fry up some quasi-Japanese fish and cabbage cakes. Much better than Planter's. And I liked Planter's. Not cheap, though.