• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner @ Ambria

awbrig

We had a wonderful dinner @ Ambria over the weekend - and everything was as spectacular as ever...

fc0f6f98.jpg

You gotta love Buckets o champagne! We had a few glasses of Veuve at the bar before dinner...

fc0f6f9e.jpg

Allison and Master Sommelier Bob Bansberg...what a great guy!

fc0f6fa7.jpg

fc0f6fa1.jpg

Chilled Fennel Soup with Parmiggiano Reggiano Crisp, Lobster Mosaic, Foie Gras Pate Choux, Golden Beet Tartare

fc0f6fac.jpg

fc0f6f8e.jpg

Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Roasted Pineapple, Sauternes Sauce

2000 Semillion Bortoli "The Noble One" Southeast Australia

fc0f6f9b.jpg

fc0f6f97.jpg

Black Truffle Risotto

1999 Riesling Schlossberg Grand Cru, Domaine Weinbach

fc0f6f90.jpg

Soft Shell Crab, Baby Spinach, Lemongrass-Tomato Sauce

fc0f6fad.jpg

Poached Halibut, Baby Fennel, Arugula Fumet

fc0f6fa5.jpg

Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Braised Beef Cheek Ravioli, Tomato Confit, Green and White Asparagus, Cippolini Onion, Madeira Cream Sauce

2000 Paraiso Pinot Noir

fc0f6fab.jpg

Lychee Sorbet

fc0f6fb1.jpg

Some of the wines

fc0f6fb3.jpg

Almond Souffle'

fc0f6fb4.jpg

Chocolate Souffle'

1999 Cabernet Sauvignon, Smith & Hook, Santa Lucia Highlands

fc0f6f95.jpg

Birthday Cake

Excellent Dinner and the wine pairings were perfect...I love Ambria!

Edited by awbrig (log)

well, hey. happy birthday! And I must say, every time I read your posts, I giggle at the Star Wars kid.

It wasnt either one of our birthdays...a waiter over heard Allison talking about coming here for her birthday last year and I think the waiter only heard part of this and assumed it was her birthday ... they brought out a piece of B-day cake... :laugh:

Edited by awbrig (log)

Looks fabulous, awbrig. Another restaurant I'll have to save my money for. I assume this was a tasting menu? Do they offer other levels of prix fixe menus as well?

Yes it was prix fixe - we had the Classic. They also offer a Shellfish Degustation and a Game Degustation.

You cant go wrong here and it is an absolutely beautiful dining room...and friendly professional service...

Edited by awbrig (log)

And I must say, every time I read your posts, I giggle at the Star Wars kid.

Do a yahoo search on "star wars kid" and read the story behind this...its hilarious!

Oh, I know, I've seen the video, and found out that the kid got a free iPod for being taken advantage of by some video editing nerds. Hey, it was a good payoff for him, and certainly a bit of notoriety.

Did you go out here instead of your blowout at trotters? Either way, it looks fabulous!

Yes, we really were craving for seared foie gras and Trotters doesnt serve it anymore. Ambria has the best foie gras in the city...

Awbrig,

It looks beautiful.

I'm glad you had a good time.

But be honest: that first picture of the almond souffle really ISN'T of the almond souffle, is it?

Noise is music. All else is food.

hey Mike,

When you posted about your Ambria dinner you specifically mentioned that you didnt even order the foie gras - but was lucky enough to get a bite from someone's plate. heres your post

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...17152&hl=ambria

no, i never said i was 'lucky enough' to get a bite from someone elses plate. lucky implies that i found the foie to be pleasing and i was grateful that my friend decided to share. i simply said that someone else ordered foie and i was able to sample it. thing is, i wasn't the only one who disliked the foie at that meal, as one of my dining companions posted that he didn't particularly enjoy it either.

mike

Edited by mikeczyz (log)

And the picture of the birthday cake....? :smile:

It looks wonderful.  I'll take in laundry and go to Ambria someday.

LOL. Dahling, diplomatic Maggie to the rescue!

Awbrig, this meal looks magnificent, and the added surprise of them thinking that it was Alison's birthday topped it off.

Might I add, your photography is getting better and better all the time.

What were the sorbets that were served with your souffle courses. Given that you had a lychee sorbet served earlier, I am assuming that these were different (I sure hope so).

Also, do you remember how the soft shell crab was prepared?

I'm glad you got your foie gras fix. :biggrin:

What were the sorbets that were served with your souffle courses. Given that you had a lychee sorbet served earlier, I am assuming that these were different (I sure hope so).

Those actually werent sorbets. The white one in front was a quinelle of Fresh Whipped Cream with Vanilla Bean - really really good! The second was a scoop of Vanilla Bean ice cream...over shaved chocolate or almonds...

I think they prepared the soft shell crab by the Chefs telling him that when they put him in the scalding boiling-hot water that he would just goto sleep and not feel much of anything...but Im not sure...

Edited by awbrig (log)

I think they prepared the soft shell crab by the Chefs telling him that when they put him in the scalding boiling-hot water that he would just goto sleep and not feel much of anything...but Im not sure...

:laugh:

Soft shell crab is normally chilled live crab, batter dipped and deep-fried. No boiling water involved! That would dilute the meat and make it harder to fry. Remember water is Mr. Fryoils enemy? Along with time and contaminants of other types.

Living hard will take its toll...

Soft shell crab is normally chilled live crab, batter dipped and deep-fried. No boiling water involved! That would dilute the meat and make it harder to fry. Remember water is Mr. Fryoils enemy? Along with time and contaminants of other types.

That's one way of doing it, but soft shell crab can be prepared in a variety of ways.

The course of soft shell crab that Awbrig and Alison enjoyed at Ambria last week is seasoned then sauteed and served over a bed of spinach with a sauce of lemongrass and tomato as a final touch.

Of course it was sauteed and not boiled...as I was kidding with Aurora as far as getting "the crab prepared"...It was funnier to me telling the crab about boiling water than a fry pan...oh well

sometimes my jokes work, sometimes they dont... :laugh:

Of course it was sauteed and not boiled...as I was kidding with Aurora as far as getting "the crab prepared"...It was funnier to me telling the crab about boiling water than a fry pan...oh well

sometimes my jokes work, sometimes they dont...  :laugh:

I got the joke (9/10) - even spit some water out laughing :laugh::laugh::laugh:

sometimes my jokes work, sometimes they dont...  :laugh:

It worked. :laugh: The crab could have also been broiled in sauce by the look of the photo.

You forgot the part about apologizing to the crab for disabeling it so that it may not step out of the pan.

In regards to Mike's statements... Ambria, perhaps does not have THE best foie gras in the city, but in my opinion it does...There are many restaurants in Chicago that offer it and it may even be better than what we have had and I hope that I can visit these places... :smile: