• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a Turkey

snowangel

I'm smoking a turkey on Wednesday for Thanksgiving.  Wood suggestions?  I have apple (tons), maple and cherry.  No hickory.  What would you use?

Anyone else smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

I'm doing 22 on Wednesday. My wood of choice is a 70/30 mix of apple and cherry. Apple wood will be sweet and mild, Maple will be sweeter. Cherry can be a little strong but will give the bird a glorious reddish finish.

Regardless of which wood you choose don't over smoke the bird. It doesn't take a lot of wood.

My turkey is on, and smoking nicely at between 215 and 225. I forgot to remove the wing tips for the Bone Bag, but did remember to snip all of the tendons at the bottom of the leg.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Nope, I did totally apple, because that what what the Teen split.

gallery_6263_35_68492.jpg

(old photo, but the scene was the same)

The turkey is off the Trusty Old Weber, and resting. The bits that "fell off" are Oh, Me, Oh My. It's been way too long since I smoked meat. I do know which of the two turkeys tomorrow (my smoked, my SIL's traditional roasted) will be more popular. I've already been asked about leftovers.

For those who have never smoked a turkey, it will look scary when it is done, and you will think that your SI has committe a crime. But s/he hasn't.

Oh, and hubby has informed me that my scent is irresistible.

• 1 year later...

Bump!

I'm smoking a turkey tomorrow. My cousin got one from work, and he didn't have room for it in the freezer (or the time to roast it right now). I didn't have space in my freezer, either, so it has been sitting in the fridge.

I'm going to freeze some for my girlfriend weekend (Thanksgiving weekend) and give him the rest.

Since Diana isn't here to split wood, I'll use the rest of the split apple, and augment with hickory, if necessary. Reminder that when she's home from college over Xmas, she has a task to do!

Anyone smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving this year?

Yep. I plan on smoking one of my turkeys with apple wood on my kettle grill. I have not decided how to season the bird just yet, but it will be a dry rub.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Bump!

I'm smoking a turkey tomorrow. My cousin got one from work, and he didn't have room for it in the freezer (or the time to roast it right now). I didn't have space in my freezer, either, so it has been sitting in the fridge.

I'm going to freeze some for my girlfriend weekend (Thanksgiving weekend) and give him the rest.

Since Diana isn't here to split wood, I'll use the rest of the split apple, and augment with hickory, if necessary. Reminder that when she's home from college over Xmas, she has a task to do!

Anyone smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving this year?

As always, i am smoking turkey. My favorite wood to use for turkey is cherry. However, I may be out of it now but I got a whole lot of apple wood which will do just fine. To brine or not to brine is the question. I always do when it gets smoked.

• 1 year later...

I smoked one (19.75 lbs before I took out the giblets) that was pre-basted, so I didn't brine it. I put it on around 4:30, and it hit 160 right around 8:30. It did not carry over, though, so I stuck it in the oven until it hit 165. At that, it still had what looked like raw breast and leg meat and pink juices. And I'm not talking about just pink meat, but raw-looking meat. Not the same things.

I've oven-roasted birds to 160 and let them carry over to 165 before, so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I stuck the bird back in the oven at low heat for a while just to be on the safe side.

Also, next time, I need to use more chips. The bird was only slightly smoky. :-(

It was only for me and my partner, so not a big deal, and all in all, not bad for a first time smoking anything, but it looks like I need to do a lot more to get used to this. Aw shucky-darn.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I picked up a 16+ lb Murray turkey today for $.69/lb. It was just a little more than a chicken. I broke it down into parts and made stock with the back, neck and giblets. I have the breasts and wings in brine overnight. I boned out the thigh bone from the leg quarters. I had visions of stuffing them but..

Anyway the smoker is get preheated tomorrow. I've got plenty of apple wood on hand. I will smoke the breasts and wings. Maybe the leg quarters as well. We'll see.

Maybe that was part of my problem. I haven't read the smoking thread (but I will, now) and the smoker instructions didn't say anything about pre-heating the thing, but DUH, I should have guessed.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Not certain what type of wood my hosts used, but the smoked turkey that accompanied our Thanksgiving feast was given a rub down of harissa sauce over the breast meat under the skin before smoking. It was so delicious I almost wept. The bit of spiciness was perfect with the sweeter of the two cranberry sauces I made, Cranberry-Orange Sauce /Grand Marnier. The other turkey was deep fried, and it was also moist and delicious.

I'll have to ask for more specifics about the cooking process for the smoked turkey and report back. But the harissa under the skin was a stroke of genius...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Post Thanksgiving turkey. Thanksgiving is not a holiday that I have to cook for. Maybe an app. but that's it.

Smoked Turkey.

The turkey was cut up into parts. The wings and breast were brined in a mix of salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and Cajun spice for 16 hrs. The legs were coated in a homemade BBQ rub overnight. Into my electric smoker set at it's maximum of 275* with apple wood for smoke. 3hrs later the leg quarters were hitting 178* and the breast was at 160*. When poking the tight with the Thermapen for a reading juice squirted about 2 inches high when the probe was removed.

CIMG6523.JPG

CIMG6525.JPG

• 11 months later...

I've used both my Weber kettle (22") and bullet smoker and both work well.

It's easier to manage the temperature with the smoker. I use the standard recipe approach on the virtualweberbullet.com web site, but use no sugar in the brine and use no spice rub.

Big birds don't always fit. Birds in the 12-13 lb range seem to work well.

When using the kettle, it helps to use the version of the Weber top grate that has the folding sides that allow you to add coals without removing the grate. Spread the coals on either side of the kettle (not underneath bird), with a chimney full of hot coals split on top of 15 or so unlit briquettes on each side. This gets the kettle hot pretty quick and I use the vents to adjust the heat once it reaches 350 degrees F or so and try to keep it there. With the kettle, one needs to adjust the vents frequently.

When using the smoker, I use two full chimneys of hot coals to get the smoker up to temp in a hurry. It's often necessary to keep the air vents full open when it's chilly and to adjust a few times during the smoke. Put the turkey on the top rack where it's hotter unless the bird is too big to fit. I use no water in the water pan and simply line it with foil. I don't end up with much drippings and don't bother to make gravy from the very little drippings that result.

Whether using kettle or smoker, I only put a few chunks (not chips) of smoke wood on top of the hot coals when the bird first goes on. I've used various types of wood and they all seem to work well. Additional smoke beyond the first 30 minutes or so is overkill and simply results in black skin that tastes beyond burnt. No need to soak the wood.

Keep the temperature much higher than when smoking pork or beef brisket--325 degrees or higher. Add coals as needed, but try to keep the lid on to avoid unnecessary temperature swings. Smoking works pretty well in the cold, but it's vitally important to protect the kettle or smoker from wind unless you have a lot of time and coals. A digital probe thermometer is helpful--I use one that has two probes--one for the turkey and one at the grate to monitor smoker temp. Double check with an instant read just prior to pulling from the grill/smoker--165 degrees at the breast, 175 in the thighs--no higher or it will be dry. If I pull the bird at the correct temp and let it rest 30 minutes prior to carving, it is quite juicy (brining is key).

med_gallery_7409_476_660654.jpg

I was lucky enough to help make this delicious turkey go away on Thanksgiving this year. I know it was smoked on the outdoor Weber. Other details will be confirmed and posted in the near future. He was quite tasty. Served with a slightly spicy jalapeno cranberry sauce.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol