• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a Turkey

snowangel

I didn't brine because when I read up on it on line it said not to brine if you have a self-basting turkey (packed in a sodium solution).  Mine says that it is a self-basting breast with 3% sodium solution, so I didn't brine.

Good catch! Absolutely right ... don't brine a self-basting bird. (Does anyone know why not? Is this just a case of guilding the lily or is there a more scientific reason?)

The whole bird technique lcdm mentioned ^ is awesome! There's a thread in this forum somewhere where a number of us used it ... not gonna search right now. World Cup's on. :raz:

A.

Self basting (like a Butterball) is basically pre-brined. Some pork products are doing the same thing they usually say enhanced on the label.

I do smoked turkey every Thanksgiving. I try to find a non-enhanced bird and brine it. I use the following http://www.bbqsearch.com/turkey/22571.shtm

If its been enhanced with a 3% solution, I think its ok to go ahead and brine. If it were 12% or more, i'd pass on the bird altogether. But if I already had it, I'd just dry rub and smoke.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Well, it's done. It took about 3 hours at between 200 F and 225 F (never got up to 250).

I pulled it right at 160 F, wrapped it in foil, and waited 45 minutes to carve it. It is super juicy and really flavorful. Perfect!

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

It's almost time! Smoking bird for Thanksgiving? I will again this year, as I have for years. Our family gathering has one fron the oven and my smoked one. Anyone else smoking? Updates and techniques? Now is the time to start thinking about it if you have never done so. Smoked turkey is great.

Mike, I'll be smoking a turkey, too. On the trusty kettle. Now that I have a ton of applewood, I'm starting to wonder if that might be the way to go. I'll do a whole turkey.

Funny thing is that my SIL will roast a turkey, but my smoked turkey is always more popular!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Mike, I'll be smoking a turkey, too.  On the trusty kettle.  Now that I have a ton of applewood, I'm starting to wonder if that might be the way to go.  I'll do a whole turkey.

Funny thing is that my SIL will roast a turkey, but my smoked turkey is always more popular!

I use apple or cherry for my turkeys. They always eye it up first, but the smoked bird always goes before the oven roasted one does

Over here, there's a topic on brining turkey and toward the end of the topic, discussion about pre-salting.

I'm thinking I'll try pre-salting this year, and if I end up doing two small birds, I'll brine one and pre-salt the other (and figure out a way to mark them so I know which is which).

I'm thinking I'll try pre-salting this year, and if I end up doing two small birds, I'll brine one and pre-salt the other (and figure out a way to mark them so I know which is which).

why not clip a wing on one and write down which one that was....

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of wood are people using for their turkey this year?

I have just recently scored a bunch of nice apple from a local orchard. So this week's bird will be apple smoked.

Susan, I only wish that you could send Dianna to split it for me. The picture of her swinging the axe form the smoking blog remains a favorite of mine

My turkey and turkey breast (someone gave me the latter) are resting nicely under foil. I must be doing something right with the kettle; I struggled to keep the temp at 225 today, so the breast took something like 5 hours, and the whole bird (16 pounds) some time longer. They look beautiful! My camera batteries need to charge, and I need to empty the card before I can take pictures of them.

But, the best of all, is that waft of smoke that comes off me, sort of like walking behind a bride wearing a filmy veil on a windy day.

My turkey and turkey breast (someone gave me the latter) are resting nicely under foil.  I must be doing something right with the kettle; I struggled to keep the temp at 225 today, so the breast took something like 5 hours, and the whole bird (16 pounds) some time longer.  They look beautiful!  My camera batteries need to charge, and I need to empty the card before I can take pictures of them.

But, the best of all, is that waft of smoke that comes off me, sort of like walking behind a bride wearing a filmy veil on a windy day.

You smoke them a day in advance? how do you reheat for service?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm going to carve tomorrow morning, add a tidge of smoked turkey stock, and reheat gently in the oven (covered dish) until warmed. It was either that or get up at 4:00 am, which is a time that does not exist for me unless a kid is sick.

I had a smoked turkey this evening at the Thanksgiving feast I attended. My buddy had purchased an Orion Smoker and made the moistest and most delicious turkey he's ever made (and he's made many good ones over the years by various methods). He used applewood chips soaked in cider and the meat was just outrageously good. I still have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :wub:

I'll post pictures when the photos are forwarded to me. This was one mighty purdy bird.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yet another reason to get a Bradley smoker: I woke at 9a, stuffed (using this Gourmet recipe), tied, and then smoked a brined 17-pound free range turkey that had been sitting a day in the fridge to develop a pellicle from 10a-1p at 250F with apple pucks, then finished it off in the oven from 1-3p at 375 (thigh to 165F). It was fantastic.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm going to carve tomorrow morning, add a tidge of smoked turkey stock, and reheat gently in the oven (covered dish) until warmed.  It was either that or get up at 4:00 am, which is a time that does not exist for me unless a kid is sick.

got up at 6.00 and started the smoker. It was ready to go by 7.00 as planned and I smoked two small birds (10/11 lbs) over some hickory/oak mix as it was what I had available. I did throw some rosemary on the wood to add that flavor to the birds. The heat kept at a pretty constant 250* and both birds were ready to go at shortly after noon which was a bit earlier than I expected. I wrapped both well in foil and just kept the heat at about 200* until we were ready to eat shortly after 2.00pm. We ate most of one yesterday and it was very good. On Sunday when I have time I will pull meat, freeze some and then make stock fr/ both of the carcasses. I saved the livers (every thing else went in the giblet gravy) and thought about throwing them on the smoker just to see what happened but forgot about them so any ideas about what to do w/ left over turkey livers?

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Yet another reason to get a Bradley smoker: I woke at 9a, stuffed (using this Gourmet recipe), tied, and then smoked a brined 17-pound free range turkey that had been sitting a day in the fridge to develop a pellicle from 10a-1p at 250F with apple pucks, then finished it off in the oven from 1-3p at 375 (thigh to 165F). It was fantastic.

But, Chris, I was able to do the same thing on a 25+ year old Weber Kettle (that cost $49.00!) with a few briquettes and some apple wood that was free that the teen split for me:

gallery_6263_35_68492.jpg

(old photo from a blog)

The turkey went far faster at Thanksgiving than did the roasted bird, and I was glad I held some back for Thanksgiving late night...

• 11 months later...

I'm smoking a turkey on Wednesday for Thanksgiving. Wood suggestions? I have apple (tons), maple and cherry. No hickory. What would you use?

Anyone else smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

I'm smoking a turkey on Wednesday for Thanksgiving.  Wood suggestions?  I have apple (tons), maple and cherry.  No hickory.  What would you use?

I am. I'll brine it for 24 - 36 hours then smoke it on Thursday with an apple & cherry mix.

I'm smoking a turkey on Wednesday for Thanksgiving.  Wood suggestions?  I have apple (tons), maple and cherry.  No hickory.  What would you use?

Am I smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

OF COURSE, I am. I have some apple and cherry ready to go, the bird will go in the brine Wednesday and I will be fire the WSM Thursday morning.

The weather forecast: Rainy and windy.

Bring it on mother nature!!! We'll do battle, smoked turkey there will be come hell nor high water.

And saving that carcus to make wonderful smoked turkey soup.