• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Boulud

Felonius

it is a neighborhood restaurant. The thing about the UES is that no one goes there. Or rather, no one goes there to go out. Its neither sexy nor trendy. However, it is two extremely dissimilar neighborhoods. One part is probably the wealthiest neighborhood in the city (but this tends to be older money) competing only with CPW and TriBeCa (the most affluent zip code in the city) and the other part (roughly lex and east) has some of the cheapest rents in manhattan and is seen as a "starter" neighborhood for new college grads and young families. Cafe Boulud functions as a neighborhood cafeteria for people residing in the first part. But its not a destination because people from other parts of the city don't go out on the UES. Its unclear whether any restaurant in that hood would ever be a destination. (at least until the UES becomes trendy again...its cyclical.) so it's a neighborhood restaurant of a certain type. i.e. Brother Jimmy's is also an UES neighborhood restaurant...but for the other part.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Cafe Boulud functions as a neighborhood cafeteria for people residing in the first part.

I don't think this is a fair characterization. I think this description is insulting, actually.

On different note, do all of Boulud's restaurants send out warm madeleines at the end? I suppose by this I mean Bar Boulud, since I know that both Daniel and Cafe Boulud does and I'm fairly certain that db bistro moderne does as well (although I'm not entirely sure about the latter).

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

it is a neighborhood restaurant. The thing about the UES is that no one goes there. Or rather, no one goes there to go out. Its neither sexy nor trendy. However, it is two extremely dissimilar neighborhoods. One part is probably the wealthiest neighborhood in the city (but this tends to be older money) competing only with CPW and TriBeCa (the most affluent zip code in the city) and the other part (roughly lex and east) has some of the cheapest rents in manhattan and is seen as a "starter" neighborhood for new college grads and young families. Cafe Boulud functions as a neighborhood cafeteria for people residing in the first part. But its not a destination because people from other parts of the city don't go out on the UES.  Its unclear whether any restaurant in that hood would ever be a destination. (at least until the UES becomes trendy again...its cyclical.)  so it's a neighborhood restaurant of a certain type.  i.e. Brother Jimmy's is also an UES neighborhood restaurant...but for the other part.

The segment of the dining public you define as "sexy" and "trendy" comprises something like 2%. Your comment has nothing whatever to do with the habits of the other 98%.

On different note, do all of Boulud's restaurants send out warm madeleines at the end?  I suppose by this I mean Bar Boulud, since I know that both Daniel and Cafe Boulud does  and I'm fairly certain that db bistro moderne does as well (although I'm not entirely sure about the latter).

I'm pretty sure that Bar Boulud does not. It is meant to be the most low-end of Boulud's properties—at least until he opens a burger joint. So it doesn't have the extras you find at Daniel and Café Boulud. My last visit to DB Bistro Moderne wasn't recent enough for me to recall if madeleines were served.

Cafe Boulud functions as a neighborhood cafeteria for people residing in the first part.

I don't think this is a fair characterization. I think this description is insulting, actually.

On different note, do all of Boulud's restaurants send out warm madeleines at the end? I suppose by this I mean Bar Boulud, since I know that both Daniel and Cafe Boulud does and I'm fairly certain that db bistro moderne does as well (although I'm not entirely sure about the latter).

What's insulting about saying that cafe boulud has very wealthy regulars?

it is a neighborhood restaurant. The thing about the UES is that no one goes there. Or rather, no one goes there to go out. Its neither sexy nor trendy. However, it is two extremely dissimilar neighborhoods. One part is probably the wealthiest neighborhood in the city (but this tends to be older money) competing only with CPW and TriBeCa (the most affluent zip code in the city) and the other part (roughly lex and east) has some of the cheapest rents in manhattan and is seen as a "starter" neighborhood for new college grads and young families. Cafe Boulud functions as a neighborhood cafeteria for people residing in the first part. But its not a destination because people from other parts of the city don't go out on the UES.  Its unclear whether any restaurant in that hood would ever be a destination. (at least until the UES becomes trendy again...its cyclical.)  so it's a neighborhood restaurant of a certain type.  i.e. Brother Jimmy's is also an UES neighborhood restaurant...but for the other part.

The segment of the dining public you define as "sexy" and "trendy" comprises something like 2%. Your comment has nothing whatever to do with the habits of the other 98%.

The UES is filled with destination restaurants and bars drawing people from all over the city? Dorrians and the Tin Lizzy are filled with downtowners?

Edited by Nathan (log)

For one thing, cafeteria = no service. Cafe Boulud = very good service.

And, for what it's worth, customer regularity does not a cafeteria make.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

For one thing, cafeteria = no service. Cafe Boulud = very good service.

And, for what it's worth, customer regularity does not a cafeteria make.

ah. you were taking me extremely literally.

just to make it fun: there's been more than one restaurant in NY called "Cafeteria" that was a full service operation.

I'll allow that "cafeteria" was a joke, and not intended seriously. But "no one goes there" and "neither sexy nor trendy" are more serious errors. The city is not comprised exclusively of people looking for the latest "sexy and trendy" thing. Café Boulud is an upscale, adult experience. By its nature, regardless of where you put it, it isn't meant for sexy and trendy folk. Non-sexy, non-trendy diners eat out too.

I'll allow that "cafeteria" was a joke, and not intended seriously. But "no one goes there" and "neither sexy nor trendy" are more serious errors. The city is not comprised exclusively of people looking for the latest "sexy and trendy" thing. Café Boulud is an upscale, adult experience. By its nature, regardless of where you put it, it isn't meant for sexy and trendy folk. Non-sexy, non-trendy diners eat out too.

My comment about dictionary definition was an inside poke at Nathan. He got the reference.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

You do realize that we're in complete agreement?

What happened to "no one goes there" and "not a destination"?

What happened to "no one goes there" and "not a destination"?

what I actually said was "no one goes there to go out"...which is true. downtowners don't come uptown for nightlife (including restaurants). people in the neighborhood do go out in their own neighborhood (when they're not coming downtown instead). "going somewhere" means that you're coming from somewhere (i.e. you don't live there). the UES is not a destination neighborhood because people from other neighborhoods don't go there to go out.

what I actually said was "no one goes there to go out"...which is true.  downtowners don't come uptown for nightlife (including restaurants).  people in the neighborhood do go out in their own neighborhood (when they're not coming downtown instead).  "going somewhere" means that you're coming from somewhere (i.e. you don't live there).  the UES is not a destination neighborhood because people from other neighborhoods don't go there to go out.

Ok...well, I don't think that's true. "Downtowners," a demographic that includes millions of people, don't all fall into one category. As I noted upthread, there aren't many restaurants in New York that offer a “Café Boulud-like” experience. It is therefore a destination for those who desire food of that quality, in a setting of that quality, because most people don't have one in their own neighborhood. If you enjoy that type of experience, you probably wish you had such a place close by...but you probably don't.

• 6 months later...

Anyone tried the now semi-somewhat-not-really-permanent $24 3 course lunch menu? It's not listed anywhere, in fact I only heard cause my wife caught it as part of a byline in a longer nymag article, but calling the restaurant confirmed that you get a choice from 3 apps, entrees and 2 desserts that changes roughly each week. Seems like a fantastic deal, anyone given it a shot?

• 4 months later...

We had lunch at Cafe Boulud with my aunt and cousin yesterday. Hard to beat the $24 lunch special. Which is 3 courses - starter/main/dessert - and 2 bottles of wine are also available for $24 each. Three choices of starter and main - two for dessert. We had all 3 starters. One was a somewhat plain salad (aunt) - one was stuffed squid (me and cousin) - one was an asparagus veloute (husband). Three had the fish main (sauteed fluke on a bed of barley) - my husband had the lemon risotto. Three had the chocolate dessert extravaganza (best course IMO) - my husband had the semifreddo. We've been to Cafe Boulud before - have enjoyed the food - and we enjoyed this meal. I wouldn't have been unhappy with it at normal dinner prices. Was obviously more than happy with it at Cheesecake Factory prices. And it wasn't treated like a "special". There was an amuse course - "throwaways" at the end of the meal - and an assortment of nice fresh breads. Excellent service as well. No one rushed us through our meal.

One note. The Surrey Suites hotel is under massive renovation. We were seated at one of the banquettes in the alcove - where the sound of an occasional jackhammer was perhaps more evident than in the main dining room. But the main dining room was full and the sound level was pretty high. My aunt (90ish) is a bit hard of hearing - so the banquette in the alcove (which was in general more quiet than the main dining area) was ok for us. The restaurant will be closing near the end of the summer for a total renovation (as part of the hotel renovation). So grab this one while you can. Reservations for lunch are essential (there was a waiting line when we left about 2). There are a lot of good shows at the Met (around the corner) and I think we aren't the only people who had the idea of having lunch at the restaurant and then going to the Met). Robyn