• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pulp of vanilla bean

forever_young_ca

I am making a special dinner and for the first course I wanted to do "seared scallops with a saffron-vanilla cream" from the Lumiere cookbook.

Basically the recipe calls for a reduced chicken stock/saffron/cream mixture. To the strained reduced mixture the recipe says "add vanilla pulp, bring to a simmer and swirl until the vanilla has been incorporated into the sauce. Remove from heat and add in butter".

My questions are:

!) is vanilla pulp just the exterior of the bean or does it mean the seeds inside?

2) the recipe does not call for straining, so would I not have little bits of vanilla floating in the sauce? The picture shows a very pure looking sauce.

For anyone with this cookbook it is on page 140 & 141.

I want this to be a wonderful dish so any help would be appreciated.

Life is short, eat dessert first

vanilla pulp is the inside vanilla bean as far as I know. The picture might not be 100% accurate, maybe it is strained. I would not strain it though becuase I like the little vanilla specks. But hey that's me. good luck.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My guess is that they mean the seeds, and the photo is doctored or doesn't exactly represent the completed recipe. Unless they ask you to puree the vanilla pods at some point, there's nothing else in the vanilla bean that's going to dissolve.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

To me, "vanilla pulp" would be the seeds you scrape out of the inside of the bean when you split it open. They are dark but tiny -- almost impossible to strain out, I imagine.

Don't have the book, but FoodMan could be right about the photo. Think how many people make their living as Food Stylists. :wink:

Thanks all for your help. It makes perfect sense that the "pulp" would be the seeds, now that I think about it :smile:

Also, the photo probably is edited. The recipe calls for saffron, but the picture in the book does not look "yellow" enough to have saffron in the sauce. Editor's license I guess.

Life is short, eat dessert first