• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Desert Island Collection

Essentials of Asian Cuisine -- Corrine Trang

I'm curious what you think of this one. It's relatively recent I believe. Does it go into sufficient detail covering all those asian cuisines?

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm curious, too, torakris.

I've done a couple of receipts from this & I've been happy with the results. However, I've this feeling that some of the receipts will require a bit of adjustment.

What's your experience been with your results?

I really like this book!

It is a great overview of the Asian cuisines, not just recipes but information and lots of it!

I have tried a couple recipes and they have been great, way better then average.

If you want just one book on Asian cooking I would recommend this one (and I have a lot of books on Asian cooking!)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

3. Elizabeth David Classics (Mediterranean Food; French Country Cooking; Summer Cooking)*

I am considering buying this book. There is one copy left at Amazon Japan, how do you like it, do you cook from it.

I own none of her books and thought this would be a good place to start.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Lessee, Craig Claiborne's Favorites (4 volumes counts as one, right?); Madeleine Kamman's The Making of a Cook, the original one; Elizabeth David's French Provincial, French Country, Italian, Mediterranean, & Summer, all in a neat little Penguin box; La Cuisine de Mapie, the Countess de Toulouse-Lautrec.

I reserve the right to edit worldwithoutendamen.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ● #TacoFriday observant ●  Twitter    Instagram

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian

Julia Child, The Way to Cook

Bastianich, Lidia's Italian Table

Madhur Jaffrey's Step by Step Cooking,

Calvin Trillin, Feeding a Yen, which I am in the middle of and enjoying immensely..to the point that I slowed down reading it in order to extend the pleasure

I will assume that I have been bonked on the head by flotsam (or is it jetsom) and will not be able to cook my favorite things without a recipe...

Emeril's - Louisiana Real and Rustic

Victor Sodsook - True Thai

Rick Bayless - Mexico One Plate at a Time (or any other Bayless book)

Zarela Martinez - Food From My Heart

Patricia Wells - At Home in Provence

I had to leave a lot of books on the boat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi, True Thai is an outstanding cookbook. I'm glad someone mentioned it. I have fallen out of love with Thai food or I would have definitely listed it. Plus it's just plain great reading.

3. Elizabeth David Classics (Mediterranean Food; French Country Cooking; Summer Cooking)*

I am considering buying this book. There is one copy left at Amazon Japan, how do you like it, do you cook from it.

I own none of her books and thought this would be a good place to start.

I don't really COOK from most of my food books. I read them to learn how to use an ingredient, or to get new ideas for using standard ingredients, or to find how to substitute a new ingredient for a standard one -- that sort of thing. The point is, I like to READ them. And Elizabeth David is, as they say, a very good read. She tends to be a bit vague sometimes about quantities, and assumes you know how to DO things. She writes the way I like to cook. Mostly you're reading her descriptions of food, and her opinions. The volume in question has something closer to standard recipes than many other of her books. But it still has plenty of her voice.

First order of Business: Read everything that Suzanne has posted on this thread. Dead right, as always.

Me?

Yeah:

The Unrevised Joy of Cooking

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian...wow, nuts and berries never tasted better

The MFK anthology...because there is so much good writing.

Boxed set of Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking and More Home Cooking , ditto

Larousse

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The point is, I like to READ them.  And Elizabeth David is, as they say, a very good read.

My husband used to wonder why there is always at least two cookbooks on my night stand, and was often puzzled when he'd awaken and find me asleep, night light on, book on chest.

He no longer asks why, he just knows that I like to read them. In fact, I'm hard pressed to buy a cookbook that is not a good read.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I agree with Suzanne - books serve as a source of inspiration, ideas and to get the juices flowing.

Pellaprat - Modern French Culinary Art

Shirley Corriher - Cookwise

Harold McGee - On Food and Cooking

Larrousse

Leith's Cooking Bible

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

fifi, True Thai is an outstanding cookbook.  I'm glad someone mentioned it.  I have fallen out of love with Thai food or I would have definitely listed it.  Plus it's just plain great reading.

:shock: How does one fall out of love with Thai Food?

Mine:

Laurie Colwin Home Cooking and More Home Cooking

Julia Child and Jacques Pepin Cooking at Home

Fannie Farmer the 1986 edition edited by Marion Cunningham

Mahdur Jaffrey Quick and Easy Indian Cooking

Oxford Companion to Food, in case I need to know if something is edible. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I read them for pleasure, but I definately cook out of my books. The way I look at it is: here is this compendium of literally centuries, in some cases of knowledge and experimentation. Why dick around? After I make a recipe, I might tweak it to personal taste, but often I don't. I lost interest in trying to create my own food long ago. I would much rather faithfully recreate a work of art than to create my own. But that's just me.

Is this a
Desert Island
or a
Dessert Island
There is a major difference! :smile:

Currently stuck on a Rainforest Dessert Island and with weight restrictions on incoming luggage I had to choose carefully (books or wine? - always make room for the wine). I brought these five:

Baking with Julia

Au coeur des Saveurs - F. Bau

Dessert Notebook - Michel Bras

The Roux Brothers Patisserie

Beard on Bread

I feel well armed for any creative battle.

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

We don't need no stinkin' books.  We need F-I-R-E!

Assuming we have fire, perhaps . . .

Aidells, Complete Meat Cookbook

The Jamison's, Smoke & Spice

Schlesinger & Willoughby, Let the Flames Begin

Schlesinger & Willoughby, Thrill of the Grill

Kirk, Championship Barbecue Sauces

We don't need no stinkin' books.  We need F-I-R-E!

Assuming we have fire, perhaps . . .

Aidells, Complete Meat Cookbook

The Jamison's, Smoke & Spice

Schlesinger & Willoughby, Let the Flames Begin

Schlesinger & Willoughby, Thrill of the Grill

Kirk, Championship Barbecue Sauces

Nice list. I think Wilson will approve.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• Similar Content

• By Mutleyracers
      Hi all. I hope you are well. I am just into baking bread due to lockdown and need help. Ideally I would like modernist bread but the wife is not quite agreeing to that yet. So I would like some where to start for now until she comes around to the idea. After she has tasted all my amazing breads I make. 

I would like this to be in metric rather than imperial.

Thank you 
    • By Burmese Days
      Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please tell me if I've made any mistakes. I'd like to learn the ropes as soon as possible. 

I first learned of this cookbook from The Mala Market, easily the best online source of high-quality Chinese ingredients in the west. In the About Us page, Taylor Holiday (the founder of Mala Market) talks about the cookbooks that inspired her.
      This piqued my interest and sent me down a long rabbit hole. I'm attempting to categorically share everything I've found about this book so far.

Reading it online
      Early in my search, I found an online preview (Adobe Flash required). It shows you the first 29 pages. I've found people reference an online version you can pay for on the Chinese side of the internet. But to my skills, it's been unattainable.

The Title
      Because this book was never sold in the west, the cover, and thus title, were never translated to English. Because of this, when you search for this book, it'll have several different names. These are just some versions I've found online - typos included.
      Sichuan (China) Cuisine in Both Chinese and English Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (In English & Chinese) China Sichuan Cuisine (in Chinese and English) Chengdu China: Si Chuan Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (Chinese and English bilingual) 中国川菜:中英文标准对照版 For the sake of convenience, I'll be referring to the cookbook as Sichuan Cuisine from now on.

Versions
      There are two versions of Sichuan Cuisine. The first came out in 2010 and the second in 2014. In an interview from Flavor & Fortune, a (now defunct) Chinese cooking
      magazine, the author clarifies the differences.
      That is all of the information I could find on the differences. Nothing besides that offhanded remark. The 2014 edition seems to be harder to source and, when available, more expensive.

Author(s)

In the last section, I mentioned an interview with the author. That was somewhat incorrect. There are two authors!
      Lu Yi (卢一) President of Sichuan Tourism College, Vice Chairman of Sichuan Nutrition Society, Chairman of Sichuan Food Fermentation Society, Chairman of Sichuan Leisure Sports Management Society Du Li (杜莉) Master of Arts, Professor of Sichuan Institute of Tourism, Director of Sichuan Cultural Development Research Center, Sichuan Humanities and Social Sciences Key Research Base, Sichuan Provincial Department of Education, and member of the International Food Culture Research Association of the World Chinese Culinary Federation Along with the principal authors, two famous chefs checked the English translations.
      Fuchsia Dunlop - of Land of Plenty fame Professor Shirley Cheng - of Hyde Park New York's Culinary Institute of America Fuchsia Dunlop was actually the first (and to my knowledge, only) Western graduate from the school that produced the book.

Recipes
      Here are screenshots of the table of contents.  It has some recipes I'm a big fan of.

ISBN
      ISBN 10: 7536469640   ISBN 13: 9787536469648 As far as I can tell, the first and second edition have the same ISBN #'s. I'm no librarian, so if anyone knows more about how ISBN #'s relate to re-releases and editions, feel free to chime in.

Publisher
      Sichuan Science and Technology Press 四川科学技术出版社  
      Cover
      Okay... so this book has a lot of covers.
      The common cover A red cover A white cover A white version of the common cover An ornate and shiny cover  There may or may not be a "Box set." At first, I thought this was a difference in book editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. As far as covers go, I'm at a loss. If anybody has more info, I'm all ears.

Buying the book
      Alright, so I've hunted down many sites that used to sell it and a few who still have it in stock. Most of them are priced exorbitantly.

AbeBooks.com ($160 + $15 shipping) Ebay.com - used ($140 + $4 shipping) PurpleCulture.net ($50 + $22 shipping) Amazon.com ($300 + $5 shipping + $19 tax) A few other sites in Chinese  
      I bought a copy off of PurpleCuture.net on April 14th. When I purchased Sichuan Cuisine, it said there was only one copy left. That seems to be a lie to create false urgency for the buyer. My order never updated past processing, but after emailing them, I was given a tracking code. It has since landed in America and is in customs. I'll try to update this thread when (if) it is delivered.

Closing thoughts
      This book is probably not worth all the effort that I've put into finding it. But what is worth effort, is preserving knowledge. It turns my gut to think that this book will never be accessible to chefs that have a passion for learning real Sichuan food. As we get inundated with awful recipes from Simple and quick blogs, it becomes vital to keep these authentic sources available. As the internet chugs along, more and more recipes like these will be lost. 

You'd expect the internet to keep information alive, but in many ways, it does the opposite. In societies search for quick and easy recipes, a type of evolutionary pressure is forming. It's a pressure that mutates recipes to simpler and simpler versions of themselves. They warp and change under consumer pressure till they're a bastardized copy of the original that anyone can cook in 15 minutes. The worse part is that these new, worse recipes wear the same name as the original recipe. Before long, it becomes harder to find the original recipe than the new one. 

In this sense, the internet hides information. 

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

• By K8CanCook
      Update!! --- the sale is still going on at Amazon as of Sunday (11/24) at 11:15am EST
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone note the sale price on Modernist Cuisine today (maybe yesterday)? Amazon and Target dropped the set of tomes to $379!!!

This price looks like it will change after today...so get it ASAP!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0982761007?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=SRFCHFB5EFTGAA8AZHJX
      -or-
      https://www.target.com/p/modernist-cuisine-by-nathan-myhrvold-chris-young-maxime-bilet-hardcover/-/A-77279948
    • By Bollo
      I need a book on the application of rotavapor machine. I've searched something on web but i can't find something strictly professional for the kitchen please help me. To improve the research.