• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mason/Ball Jars

elyse

I need to buy a bunch of jars, probably pint sized or slightly smaller. Does anyone have an inexpensive source? Is this a mail-order thing, or do you buy them in person? I'm in NYC. The only ones I've seen here seem pricey. I do need some for this weekend, so will have to bite the bullet. Zabar's is the cheapest I have found. Any suggestions for now or the future?

Hardware stores also carry them -- Garber's in the Village for sure. Also check out places like Odd Lot, Jack's, and "Self Service" on Broadway and White (?) in Tribeca. I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Self Service, which reminds me of the Woolworth of my youth. Sigh.

Any idea what they go for in pint size? I think Zabar's is $1.25 - $1.75. Somewhere around that. I could be making that up. I can swing by an Odd Lot or Jack's today. Woolworth's. *sigh*

Gee, I don't know. I use 8-ounce, and it's been so long since I bought them. I reuse and reuse and reuse.

But I thought of another possible source: medical supply stores, if the jars don't have to be canning jars. There's a good one on Lexington in the 20s (near Baruch College). I'll bet they have all sizes of jars, probably with plastic screw caps.

elyse,

Wanna trade pies for jars?

Sure! Drop them off and you'll have a nice hot pecan pie!

Suzanne, if I ride my bike down Lex in the 20s they'll just be around? I'll have to see if they can withstand heat. Plastic tops are fine. Good idea.

Just checked the phone book but didn't see them (don't remember the name) :unsure: Anyway, if they're there, they're on the left (east) side of Lex as you head downtown. Also in the neighborhood is Marburger, on Irving Place and 16th.

Well, I'm not in a panic anymore so that's good. Suzanne, you're a doll.

Was it Arrow? I've been there before. They only had glass jars with metal non-screw tops. Like doctors put swabs or cotton balls in. My search continues in a more leisurely manner.

Edited by elyse (log)

Arrow sounds good. :wink:

I happened to stop in at Zabar's today, and their widemouth pint Ball jars were $.99 each, with rings and lids. How's that for you?

(But don't let me interfere between you and MatthewB :raz: )

(But don't let me interfere between you and MatthewB  :raz: )

:laugh:

.99c sounds good. Archer was it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to check Goodwill, Salvation Army or another such store. Last time I was in one of those, they had cases of 24 jars for $1.50. 

Good idea. If I have time, I'll go. It's pretty slim pickins in NYC,though. Wow! That's an amazing price. Took a while to sink in!

Edited by elyse (log)

The going rate at the suburban stores like Target is something like $6 per dozen for the pint size. I'd offer to pick some up for you but my car is in the shop. What are these for, by the way? Did I just not read the thread carefully enough?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks, Steven, that's sweet of you. It started out for the block party, but that's off now. Jammy sort of stuff. I wonder if Target is accessable by sub.

It isn't, because there's no Target in New York City. The closest one is in Edgewater, NJ, which requires various convolutions of subway plus NJ Transit bus from the GWB terminal, which would defeat your savings on any quantity less than one million jars. I can't remember whether Costco has them -- unfortunately small items like this don't make it onto the major big-box stores' Web sites.

Note that for jam there are specific jam jars available.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You're right -- I was incorrectly using the store locator on the Target site. There are actually a couple in Queens. You'd want to call ahead and check on the product, though, because not all Targets are created equal.

They are lying, but at least it gives you grounds for righteous indignation when you show up and the product isn't there.

• 2 months later...

Elyse, where did you find them? What was the price? I always buy mine at Zabars or Broadway Panhandler (when available here, the particular size and pattern I want, they are cheaper than at Zabars). I find that Zabars has more stock. It is a schlep for me to go to, but I never am lazy to do so.

I bought the last batch at Gracious Homes (Broadway location) and they were too expensive. It was late and I knew only GH would be open at that hour.

knew i shoulda come here before i went looking for mason jars.

paid $3 for 3 at a farmer's market, so didn't do bad down here in south joisey, but goodwill + salvation should be pretty good sources, not to mention that case for buck fiddy is a steal and a half.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.