• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that taste better after time.

WHT

Lasagne.  Period.

Word.

Nero, I knew I liked you! Schnizzle?

On the other pastas front. I always quadruple what I need to have leftovers. Noodles and all. The flavors soak into the pasta. I heat it in foil containers in the oven or a bowl in the microwave if cheese is't an issue. Byt in a pan with butter frying? Mmmmm that's good too. Old pasta, YUM.

Edited by elyse (log)

Japanese style curry tastes better the next day, and Indian curry sauces probably would too (but I've never had left-overs to prove it!).

Oden (a Japanese hodgepodge with stuff like daikon, potatoes, boiled eggs, octopus, tofu etc simmered in a salty stock) tastes better the longer it's kept. The solid stuff will of course go bad after several days, but the stock can keep going forever. There is a shop in Tokyo that claims to be using the same stock since the Edo period (as in, at least a hundred and fifty years ago). And that actually ATTRACTS customers!

I like to short-cut when I make soups, stews, and Japanese curry and enjoy the second-day flavour on the first day. I just cook it as usual then cool the finished pot down in a sink full of cold water and put it in the fridge for a few hours. If I have enough time I'll go for a THIRD DAY flavour and reheat it then repeat the chilling.

Crafty or what?

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Oden (a Japanese hodgepodge with stuff like daikon, potatoes, boiled eggs, octopus, tofu etc simmered in a salty stock) tastes better the longer  it's kept. The solid stuff will of course go bad after several days, but the stock can keep going forever. There is a shop in Tokyo that claims to be using the same stock since the Edo period (as in, at least a hundred and fifty years ago). And that actually ATTRACTS customers!

150 year old oden.....yummm! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"