• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that taste better after time.

WHT

I was looking at the thread dealing with fresh foods and someone mentioned Deep-dish pizza being better the 2nd day. This got me thinking that there are a lot of foods that need some time to develop. Stews and chili come to mind. Some soups and even some cuts of roast meat seem better given the extra time. What do you think?

Living hard will take its toll...

Definately any pasta dish.

Agreed.

I disagree completely. How do you heat the pasta without it becoming rubbery and, if sauced, oily? I eat reheated (reheatened) pasta often, but it is never as good as pasta straight from the boiler.

In my book, ratatouille. And chili. Any warm soup/stew.

Rice pie is nice.

Agreed.

I disagree completely. How do you heat the pasta without it becoming rubbery and, if sauced, oily? I eat reheated (reheatened) pasta often, but it is never as good as pasta straight from the boiler.

I should've clarified, I guess.... Not speaking for s'kat, obviously, but for myself, I meant that I LOVE, for example, tomato sauces the day after. I usually don't save the actual noodles, only the extra sauce. Like soups and stews, I think the flavors improve the day after.

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Agreed.

Indeed.

However, pasticchio is an excellent option. I always make too much ziti and sausage in order to be able to make a few trays of pasticchio day after next.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I always make too much ziti and sausage in order to be able to make a few trays of pasticchio day after next.

I always make too much of everything in order to be able to make a few plates of it day after next.

Rice pie is nice.

Butter tarts, made properly, are best the next day. This potato salad is best the next day. Leftover beef stroganoff. My husband swears by spagetti sauce the next day. Red Wine casserole takes two days to make.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Fried chicken.  No contest.  I win.  :biggrin:

cold fried chicken is an UBER food absolutely one of the better things on earth.

but to add: lasagne, spagetti & meatballs, (pasta has to be reheated in a pan with some olive oil so bits get crunchy & sorta fried)

meatloaf (cold w. ketchup on good white bread),

leftover lo mein is pretty good too astraight from the carton with chopsticks

I have a few stew dishes that definately age well same with pasta sauces, and am a huge fan of cold egg rolls don't ask why I just love then so much, pot roast yes..actually I love cold meats left over roast chicken cold pork chops spareribs I just love them. Lamb however has some very unfortunate fat when cold.

and the very best thing after fried chicken is thanksgiving dinner the next day turkey heated up with gravy on a sandwich with stuffing & cranberry sauce & homemade mayo.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Home made baked beans (day 5 is the best for my rec., thats when the bacon takes over!)

Ditto baked beans! In my recipe, not only does the bacon kick in around the 4th day, but the bourbon and chipotle hot sauce do as well. And Mexican charro beans also get better the longer they sit.

On topic, sort of: some folks are known to be virulently anti-leftovers (there are several in my family), never going near any comestible the day after it has been cooked/served. What's up with that?? :huh:

Cabbage rolls, especially if made with sour (preserved) cabbage.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Home made baked beans (day 5 is the best for my rec., thats

On topic, sort of: some folks are known to be virulently anti-leftovers (there are several in my family), never going near any comestible the day after it has been cooked/served. What's up with that?? :huh:

These people are missing out, I feel so bad for them! So many flavors take hours of cold temperatures to help the flavors blend and mingle, as most of us can appreciate. I have to agree with baked beans, meatloaf, and of course any cassarole dish is going to benefit from an overnight, flavor ramba session. :biggrin:

actually mflourless y chocolate cake recipe the batter needs to sit for a day then after you bake the cake it sits in the fridge for at least 24 hrs before then at room temp for @ at least 3 hrs. its the best chocolate cake I'v ever had (even Craig Laban liked it!!)

16oz dark adrk chocolate (I used onyx pastilles)

4 oz milk chocolate

1 # butter

1 cup sugar

8 eggs

1 cup cold very very strong black tea ( I play around sometimes earl grey some times orange pekoe had yet to stry lapchong suchong)

1 tea bag of tea (or I guess a tsp) ground very fine in the speice grinder

In double boiler melt chocolates & butter

whip sugar & eggs in kitchen aid thingy for @ 8mins on med. speed then add the tea & tea powder

whisk the egg/sugar tea mix into the chocloate butter mix ( will be kinda soupy) let sit in fridge cover 24 hrs.

scoop out batter into springform pan that has been buttered and dusted with sugar make sure there are no air pockets bake at 375 for @ 55 minutes.

let sit up to 24 hours (can last a month!!!) bring to room temp before serving ( nice w. lightly flavored whipped cream or tea flavored whipped cream you can also replace the tea with coffee & puit in a tsp or finely ground coffee grinds)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise