• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yam bean ideas

lamington

I bought a yam bean the other day. Helpfully marked as "water chestnut", which it most definitely wasn't (this much I knew). I have now identified what it is -- yam bean -- but would like to know what things people do to it (other than shred it and fill spring rolls with it). It's also called, I believe, kuzu-imo (Japanese), and cu san (Vietnamese).

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Peel, slice, spread with hoisin sauce and topped with crushed peanuts as a snack.

Shredded and stir-fried with with shredded carrots, thinly sliced french beans, pork and dried cuttlefish (known as "jeu hoo char") - it's similar to spring roll stuffing but is eaten with rice. It's also served in little wafer cups served with a chilli sauce - "pai tee".

Just what is a yam bean? Could you please describe it a little?

since my last post, I've discovered it's also known as jicama or Mexican turnip. I'm including a photo of a small one.

yambean.jpg

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."