• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexico Lindo

sara

Hi

I am thinking of checking out Mexico Lindo in Camden, given Craig LaBan's nice writeup a few months ago. Has anyone else been?? What to order?

Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I wonder if this is related to the Mexico Lindo that was in Chatham? It closed a few years back, it used to be inside one of those old modular diners. As I recall the food was pretty good there.

EDIT: The Mexico Lindo in Chatham became a different Mexican restaurant:

Lupe's Cancun

221 Main St, Chatham, NJ 07928

Phone: (973) 635-2022

At one point, Mexico Lindo did a Sunday breakfast/brunch, with mexican hot chocolate and stuff like huevos rancheros and chilequiles... I'd love to see another NJ mexican place do that again.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I love Mexico Lindo and thought Craig Leban's article might be the worst thing that could happen. It is an authentic family run restaurant. The tacos are the best I have had. The super burrito is enough for two people.

The drawback is the location. We tend to eat there more in the summer, for the simple reason that it stays light later. I have never been concerned in the area for my own safety, but for my car - yes.

Park in the empty lot diagonally across from the restaurant .

BTW - check out Lynn's bakery across the street - great cream filled donuts.

After spending a few fun hours bowling at Maple Bowl this afternoon, my friends and I ventured over to Mexico Lindo.

The place was completely empty at 6 pm. We decided to makeup for it by ordering nearly everything on the menu (well, not everything--the menu is HUGE).

We thought the food was wonderful, and incredibly cheap. We especially liked:

taco w/ enchilada (pork cooked w/ spicy sauce)

quesadilla w/ barbacoa (goat)

quesadillas de cuitlachoche (corn fungus)

sopes con carnita (sope w/ pork)

huaraches

gorditas con carne

and the outstanding best dish:

enchiladas de mole poblano!!! awesome

5 of us ate all we could handle and the total was $75 with tip. great deal.

By the way, thanks for the parking tip. I'd add to it, watch your bumper pulling in--the edge doesn't nearly as steep as it is--I did a little damage to my bumper even tho I was going less than 5 mph.

(Unfortunately we had no room left over for the doughnuts next door!)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara - you and your friends must have hearty appetites if 5 people were able to reach $75.

My wife and I ususally don't even hit $25

BTW - you can take out from there as well.

Did you enjoy the cans of mexican juice nectors with your food?

David

Well, we ordered the 7 dishes I mentioned below, plus I think about 3 more that weren't great (the queso fundido and the cubano I recall and I think there was another), plus we all got aguas frescas ( the melon was wonderful). 4 out of 5 of us took some of the extra food home.

No, we didn't try those other drinks you mentioned--next time!

-- William Grimes

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread. ;) I just had lunch at Mexico Lindo. I ordered the taco "al pastor" and quesadilla "tinga de pollo." As a sort of appetizer they brought out a nice dish of tortilla chips topped with refried beans, a sprinkling of cheese, and sides of green salsa and pico de gallo! The taco was decent, but the rival mexican places in south Philly do it better. The meat didn't seem to be seasoned enough. The quesadilla could have been better too. Since the menu describes it as having chilis in it, I expected it to be somewhat spicy. I didn't detect any chilis or spiciness at all.

I'm sure I don't know every Mexican restaurant in the area, so Mexico Lindo may be the best around the Camden area. But I would suggest trekking over to south Philly for La Lupe or Veracruzana. As far as authentic Mexican joints in NJ, I can suggest Lola's on the White Horse Pike in Lindenwold. I've not had the tacos there, but their quesadilla tinga de pollo is wonderful and very spicy, and they make great burritos. Another possibility is La Esperanza on Gibbsboro Rd, also in Lindenwold. I haven't been, but they are supposed to be good also.

Edited by deprofundis (log)