• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Political Troubles:

Thanks, Tom, for giving us your time!

It used to seem that the overthrow of a government somewhere in the world would give rise to new "ethnic" restaurants in DC, opened by well-educated former officials who couldn't go home. (Such as the proliferation of Ethiopian restaurants following Haile Selassie's overthrow). I don't want to sound callous, but do you think that turmoil like that helps to improve the dining scene in DC and elsewhere in the US?

Sad but probably true, Washington benefits from trouble abroad.

Over the decades, the city has become more delicious following the arrival of refugees from Vietnam, Ethiopia, Afghanisitan, El Salvador and on.

I am not aware of any Iraqi restaurants, but Mimi's American Bistro on P St. NW in Dupont Circle, whose owner is a native of Iraq, frequently hosts "peace dinners" where he combines the cooking of his homeland with that of Israel, for instance. I think it's a lovely idea (and the dishes have been terrific.)