• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Burgers

For restaurant fare I'm going with John W's burger at Firefly (with the killer truffle fries). For roadside it's got to be the great burger and handcut fries at Foster's Grill in Warrenton (there's an outpost in Vienna which is almost as good as the original).

Next time I might try a hot dog with my fries.  Are they recommended?

I wouldn't recommend the hot dog there. It's okay but nothing special. Five Guys split the hot dog longitudinally and grill it to a pretty uniform doneness. Nothing exceptional.

I read somewhere that Whitey's is closed.

:sad:

Whitey's closed about a year ago due to long term issues with the IRS, apparently. It was a day of great sadness for me -- that place was my favorite neighborhood dive.

Clyde's and Wollensky's Grill both make a great burger.

sorry to hear that whitey's is closed! what a great dive! i'm partial to the burgers at southside 815- the "southside" burger has a big slab of sugar cured ham and bbq sauce on it. comes with a side of fries and county fair pickes. they'll substitute greens for fries if you ask. oh yeah-southside is on s. washington st in old town alex.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

sorry to hear that whitey's is closed! what a great dive! i'm partial to the burgers at southside 815- the "southside" burger has a big slab of sugar cured ham and bbq sauce on it. comes with a side of fries and county fair pickes. they'll substitute greens for fries if you ask. oh yeah-southside is on s. washington st in old town alex.

They do make a decent one. Made on a high flame for plenty of mailliard (sp? too lazy to get my Alton book) reaction. Good fries too, usually. I keep meaning to go and pick up some good bleu at Glutton Place to put on my burger. Burgers are half price 4 to 7 every weekday night. On Weds night you can usually get some very tasty littlenecks too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

think that  a wednesday night at southside would be a great place to start the d.c. burger club. but after happy hour it's not for the faint of heart-especially with al dente around! :biggrin:

Sometimes I think people are out to get me...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.