• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Burgers

5 Guys is the one people always talk about when this question comes up. Who else put together a good burger around here? Low-end greasy spoons and high-end steakhouses etc... are equally welcome in this survey.

Also, are there any innovative or unusual versions that are worth trying? I put the mini-burgers at Matchbox in that category.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Colorado Kitchen. There's no denying the superiority of this burger. The chef spent years developing her best burger, and it shows. This is not a yuppified foie-stuffed burger a la Bouloud or a greasy spoon burger a la Five Guys, it's the sort of burger I imagine an eGulleteer making for their family on the grill. Intelligent and straightforward.

When I was pregnant with Emma all I wanted was hamburgers. Out here in the 'burbs the best one I could find was a Houstons. If I had to have a milkshake with it - Silver Diner.

The burgers at Luna Grill used to be good, especially with their sweet potato fries.

Burgers are an iffy thing for me - unless it's highly recommended I usually look for something else on the menu. The ones we make at home are usually soooo much better.

Malawry, where is Colorado Kitchen?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Why, it's on Colorado Avenue, in the District.

It's a little hard to find. The burger is only available Fridays at lunch and Sundays at dinner.

I wonder what the cheese is on a truffle cheeseburger? I somehow always picture cheddar as the cheese on cheeseburgers, and truffles plus cheddar sounds wrong to me. I want to hit the new Palena cafe next time I visit the Uptown. :wub:

While waiting for my burger to cook at Five Guys on Rt. 1 in the Mt. Vernon/Gum Springs area, I paused during my peanut eating frenzy to examine the laminated burger-related Washingtonian articles pinned to the walls. It seems as though there's not a lot of competition for Five Guys.

I can't remember all of the names of the restaurants pitted against Five Guys -- and since the dates of the clippings span at least a decade, some of the restaurants mentioned may not even be in business. The alternatives to Five Guys included Slade's (the only one of these I ever knew of was in the Ballston Mall, and it's now a Chevy's mexican); Hamburger Hamlet (never been to one of these), Fuddrucker's, and (sigh) Burger King.

Burger King seemed to excel in speed and cost, but lost major points as far as cleanliness goes. Fuddrucker's got points for sheer quantity. Slade's was noted for topping variety. But in the end, Five Guys came out on top.

I like mine with bacon, cheese, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms and A1 sauce. Unfortunately, I need to take a bath in Lipitor after I eat one.

I forget if it's Tuesday or Wednesday night, but Whitey's over in Arlington makes a mean burger for half price. It's a great little divey neighborhood joint. You gotta love the big "EAT" sign in neon out front.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Darren, I would most definitely add to the list of burgers worth checking out the mini-hamburgers at the weeks-old Matchbox on 7th & H St. They're delicious, actually cooked medium-rare, served unadorned with a pickle slice on a toasted mini-brioche bun and draped with fried onion strands. Salt, parsley, parmesan sprinkled on top of all. Nine bucks for a plate of six.

Sietsema was all over this, mentioning it in his Dish recently.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks, Steve! I'm all over them too. Best burger I've ever had in a pizza place. See my comments in the pizza thread.

They do a good job with their pizza, which I'll say a few words about later, but the real must-have dish is the amazing mini-burgers.  These 2" angus beef burgers come 3, 6, or 9 to an order, for $6, $9, or $12.  They're an ideal starter for the table, and they'd made a great snack at the downstairs bar.  The exteriors of the thin patties are crisp charred, but the centers remain delightfully pink.  We didn't specify a particular level of doneness--this was the default.  They are served on beautiful buttery little toasted brioche buns with a slice of pickle.  These burgers are what White Castles dream of growing up to be. A dollop of ketchup completes them.  Dijon mustard would also be great.  Next time I'll ask if they have some.

Don't bother with the onion straws that come with burgers.  They make for a nice presentation, but they are entirely too salty and covered with a totaly superfluous sprinkling of dusty parmesean cheese.  They must be trying to make the point that this is still a pizza place.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Seems you were all over this as well as Tom! And yes, the chef will give you a little ramekin of a fragrant Maille dijon mustard if you ask, we did and it was worth it. We were dipping our leftover pieces of bun into the mustard after scooping up all the little bits on the plate. Maybe we should start a Matchbox thread because there's much more promise to Matchbox than being a merely good pizza place.

Continue non-burger Matchbox talk on thread here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...4&t=21846&st=0&

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 4 months later...

So at long last I found myself at five guys today for lunch. The burgers were good, and in my opinion could be even better if they didn't insist on cooking them well done. I would vote for higher heat to char the outside but leave some pink in the middle. That would be my vote, and they would cook faster too. Still, a good solid burger with plenty of topping options.

It's known as a burger place, but the burgers were without question blown away by the fries. Those fries are what fast food is all about. Peanut oil and crisp fresh potato flavor. Just amazingly good simple food.

Next time I might try a hot dog with my fries. Are they recommended?

MadVal, Seattle, WA

So at long last I found myself at five guys today for lunch.  The burgers were good, and in my opinion could be even better if they didn't insist on cooking them well done.  I would vote for higher heat to char the outside but leave some pink in the middle.  That would be my vote, and they would cook faster too.  Still, a good solid burger with plenty of topping options.

It's known as a burger place, but the burgers were without question blown away by the fries.  Those fries are what fast food is all about.  Peanut oil and crisp fresh potato flavor.  Just amazingly good simple food.

Next time I might try a hot dog with my fries.  Are they recommended?

Darren,

Sunday night at Timberlake's on Connecticut Avenue is "Three Dog Night". They feature 3 different good quality hot dog/sausages every week. Cool idea.

Mark

I hit Five Guys-Springfield a couple of months ago. There was a whiteboard on which some worker had scrawled: "Today's potatoes are from: IDAHO."

BTW I have heard through the grapevine that Shelley's, a divebar very close to 14th/Natl Press Club area...what is it, G Street? Anyway I hear they have a good burger. And I thought Stoney's burger was respectable, I liked the "special sauce" which was like a very mild cocktail sauce. The patty was large and well-seasoned.

I hit Five Guys-Springfield a couple of months ago. There was a whiteboard on which some worker had scrawled: "Today's potatoes are from: IDAHO."

Today's were from North Cackalacky.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Sunday night at Timberlake's on Connecticut Avenue is "Three Dog Night". They feature 3 different good quality hot dog/sausages every week. Cool idea.

I'm going to have to hit Timberlake's for that. No question about it.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Whitey's in fact is closed.

I had a great burger for lunch the other day at Charlie Palmer's. It tasted exactly like the ones that my dad makes on the grill in the Summertime. Along with the burger they serve five types of mustard ranging from sweet to hot.

It was really good....damn. Now I can't wait until lunch.

Jennifer

I'd like to throw Mr. Henry's on Pennsylvania Ave SE and 6th(ish) into the Quality Burger Ring. 

The only down side is the fries which are more like potato rounds then fries and you usually find more than a couple that are undercooked.

Sadly, I can't say that I have ever found the cuisine there at all inspiring. But it's always crowded, so people must like it.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I'd like to throw Mr. Henry's on Pennsylvania Ave SE and 6th(ish) into the Quality Burger Ring. 

The only down side is the fries which are more like potato rounds then fries and you usually find more than a couple that are undercooked.

Sadly, I can't say that I have ever found the cuisine there at all inspiring. But it's always crowded, so people must like it.

I go just for the burgers...never eaten anything else there but the burgers.