• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won't eat... What are your food limits?

fifi

well, as of this moment, i may have to starve to death as i cant imagine ever eating anything again after reading this thread!!!!

however, assuming i do recover my appetite, i will not, under no circumstances that i can fathom, eat:

offal. tho i do love chicken livers (fried or in pate)

bugs. dont like em wont eat em where is the RAID?

snakes. know that scene in INDIANA JONES with the snake pit? i wouldnt have escaped because the second i saw all those snakes i would have dropped dead.

and i am allergic to fungus' and shellfish so i couldnt actually eat them to save myself from starving to death as eating them would kill me!

however, its all moot as i dont think i am going to eat anything anytime soon.

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Duck/chicken embryo semiformed in the egg (I forget the exact name). I saw it being eaten on a foodnetwork tv show.

In the Philippines, it's called pulutan. And no, I never ate it. Very popular there, though, especially as a bar snack. Also sold in bus stations as road food <shudder>.

Jello in its many incarnations tops my list of Nasty Food, but then, I grew up in the South.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

Anything cooked by Emeril. ... I swear he is on 24hrs a day on the Food Network! Urrrrgh.

I've probably said this before but, around my house, we call it the All Emeril Channel.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Anything cooked by Emeril. ... I swear he is on 24hrs a day on the Food Network! Urrrrgh.

I've probably said this before but, around my house, we call it the All Emeril Channel.

At my house, we call him "Hemorril" (as in Preperation H).

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

I'd like to kick HIM up the notch, if you know what I mean....

I'd like to kick HIM up the notch, if you know what I mean....

Good lord....what has he done to you all to hate him so much.

The brother can be on ALL 24 hours if it was up to me. THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT...I tell ya.......

• 2 weeks later...
That cheeze the Italians and Greeks (and probably some French) make that has the maggots in it. Sorry, where I come from you fish for crappie and sunnies and other panfish with maggots.

I would starve to death before I would eat this.

OMG I'm going to have nightmares tonight. :shock:

Curry - Yukkkks!

My wife has always appreciated my apetite and openness to trying just about anything. I was raised in the mid-West by parents who were raised on farms.

Interestingly, my mother cooked much more than beef, potatoes, corn and green beans. We had lima beans, okra, greens, spinach, califlower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, beets, navy beans, kidney beans - just about any and all vegetables were part of our everyday fare at the dinner table. She cooked beef in its many forms; including tonge. We ate lots of different pastas with different sauces. We had fresh chickens (we'd go down to Grandma's and she'd wring the neck of a nice roaster that got too close to her at the wrong time - fate!?). Mom would also prepare pork chops and pork loins and sausages from a small independent butcher close to my grandparents farm.

We would also go out to restaurants for more exotic stuff like lobster and bisques and local catfish and other specialty fare.

Wow, as I'm sitting here thinking about all the eating experiences of my youth and I'm so thankful to my parents for exposing me to so much diversity!!!!! Thanks Mom and Dad. :wub:

This foundation has served me well and I have been able to try lots of new things all over the world as I've traveled. BUT!!!!! There has always been one taste that I have never been able to enjoy or appreciate......... CURRY.

My wife says curry is a variety of spices and that she can't understand why I don't like it nor will I go anyplace that serves it. She loves curry-based dishes. We have a picture of an absolutely gorgeous luncheon dish prepared by the restaurant on top of Tabletop Mountain outside of Johannesburg, S. Africa that she claims is the best curry meal she's ever eaten; I wanted to eat at a different table.

She says I should try different curry dishes to see if I can develop a taste and appreciation for the spice. It seems there is a great deal of the world that eats curry dishes in many forms.

I'm open to any suggestions someone might have.

She says I should try different curry dishes to see if I can develop a taste and appreciation for the spice. It seems there is a great deal of the world that eats curry dishes in many forms.

I'm open to any suggestions someone might have.

Well, many Indian curry dishes are so highly spiced that the flavours of the actual food become completely overpowered.

Is it chicken? Liver? Pork? Shrimp? Dunno.

There is also a general tendency to overcook.

Southeast Asian curries on the contrary emphasize fresh herbs as well as spices and the balance is such that the archetecture of flavours and textures is much more defined and nuanced.

So perhaps you might try some Thai dishes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Brains, for personal reasons, could not eat, and probably live insects.

But of normal stuff, cannot eat bananas.

Cannot even stand the smell of bananas.

If a banana peel is in my waste can at work, will remove it immediately.

Have no idea why.  Just something about them that affects me viscerally.

Probably am the only person on the planet with the aversion, but it is a real one.

Otherwise, am pretty normal foodwise.

They may be the world most popular fruit but I can't stand them...bananas.

Someone made a banana-jalepeno sauce of some sort at work last week. As soon as I caught a whiff of the over-ripe bananas being tossed around in the robo coup next to me I was quickly compelled by my stomach to visit the toilet and relieve said organ of its contents.

Liver and tripe are my main no-no's.

And other than that, I'm going to have to go with mayonnaise. I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with putting mayonnaise on everything! It tastes like something you'd find in a toilet. Oh god, it's vile! Although, I will admit, that a proper tuna sandwich just ain't right without a little bit of it.

Other than that, I'm pretty much willing to eat (or at least try) anything.

In my experience an ingredient needs to be cooked right before you can eat it.

Tripe, for example, is delicious Oporto style - I guzzled buckets of it in Portugal.

Curry runs the gamut from mild to super hot and from varied cuisines, so there's bound to be one that suits

Sea cucumber are the most sluglike creature I can think of (excepting slugs) and are absolutely delicious stewed

I'm so glad I'm not the only person with an aversion to cooked salmon. I never cared for it that much, but could certainly eat it. But the last 2 times it was served to me I felt so ill after a couple of bites it was all I could do to choke down a couple more to be polite. I felt so bad...friends had gone through quite an effort to prepare it - one with the salt crust which I ordinarily adore with any other fish.

I would think I had developed an allergy at some point down the line, but smoked, gravad lax and raw versions don't bother me at all.

There is some food that I do not like, but if it is served to me then I would eat it.

Maybe someone could help me figure out something that I will absolutely not eat.

Well would you eat the cheese with the.....M....word...in it?

(You have to go back and look because I'm not going to say it, write it or go see who wrote about it. Just disgusting. Don't eat it.)

No asparagus -- instant up-chuck.

Fresh spinach is nice; cooked spinach has a horribly bitter taste.

Raw oysters -- occasionally, when really fresh, really cold, with a lot of spicy sauce. Otherwise, no raw meat.

Will eat shrimp, lobster, and meat from crabs -- otherwise, no bugs. No 'softshell' crabs.

For meat, mostly just skeletal muscle tissue.

No reptiles.

No felines or canines.

Offal? Mostly awful.

Like Indiana Jones, no "chilled monkey brains", not for dessert, not ever.

And, no dung, even if soaked in alcohol -- sorry China.

But, some biochemists might clarify just what really is and is not harmful to eat.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

There is some food that I do not like, but if it is served to me then I would eat it.

Maybe someone could help me figure out something that I will absolutely not eat.

Well would you eat the cheese with the.....M....word...in it?

(You have to go back and look because I'm not going to say it, write it or go see who wrote about it. Just disgusting. Don't eat it.)

You meant Casu Marzu?

I am not sure about live worm but I ate a dish with fatty worm inside. Those worm are caught at the sea and then it is steamed with eggs, it tasted like the other "popular" chinese dish, steamed egg with fish intestines. If it is offered to me, I would try just to satisfy my curious mind. I am sure some of you ate earthworm during your childhood....... it wasn't too bad or was it?

Under normal circumstances, I probably wouldn't eat any 'pets'. Although I cam curious as to what they taste like. Definately no simians. Other than that, I'm pretty open. I actually don't like plain cooked beans. Say a pile of pinto beans on a plate - even though I'm a Southerner. (Oh, except black beans - love them.) I like refried beans, bean salad, whatever. Just not a big pile of them slopped on a plate.

Also, the main reason I replied to this is the book Life of Pi. It's a wonderful book in its own right. But it touches on this subject. The brief plot is a Indian boy is trapped on a life boat, and it details how he survives. Part of it is what he eats, and back home he was a vegetarian. Very very interesting.

-Greg

Non-deveined shrimp.

Yes, I KNOW it's edible and I KNOW it won't hurt me but psychologically, I just cannot force myself to eat shrimp if I see even a bit of black. I've tried, and my throat physically refused to swallow it - and I realized that if I kept trying, it was going to come right back up anyway.

Hehee, I won't eat deveined shrimp. I love the juicy crunch of biting into whole shrimp, and the whole deveined look just changes the whole first bite texture for me. Like when I see it, I think non juicy/crunchy shrimp, therefore unfresh shrimp, therefore mushy.

Irrational definitely. But I just won't eat it. IMO it's such a waste of possibly great shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...