• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won't eat... What are your food limits?

fifi

Brussel Sprouts: I had a really bad experience as a child. So much so that my mother, who still makes everybody eat their veggies when at her house and serves brussel sprouts on a semi-regular basis, excuses me from eating them.

Misa

Sweet Misa

Salmon.  Tried it many different ways - planked, smoked, cajun blackened, etc. -but it still tastes like salmon.  It's so popular that I still give it a chance once in while, especially if the preparation makes it sound too good to pass up.  But, nothing has changed my mind yet.  Salmon

Update! I gve salmon another try when vacationing in Seattle and environs. Love it! :biggrin: Wild salmon is nothing like farm raised. Grandma was right - keep trying those foods you think you don't like. You might be pleasantly surprised. All salmon is not created equal. :wink:

KathyM

Milk.

In Holland where I grew up they had a government program to make people drink more milk back in the seventies. Part of it focused on milk consumption in schools. After being forced to drink milk in school and absolutely hating it I will never touch the stuff again. The smell alone makes me cringe.

It is funny how a lot of other things I wouldn't eat as a kid (carrots, brussel sprouts, asparagus, etc) I now love. After learning how to cook them myself and turning them from mushy overcooked inedible blobs to nicely roasted/grilled/sauteed vegetables.

I have converted quite a few brussel sprout haters with a recipe that involves briefly boiling them, taking all the leaves off and sauteing the leaves in a bit of butter with some chopped bacon. I make it into a salad with some roasted mushrooms and roasted tomato vinaigrette. (see Tom Colicchio's "think like a chef" for the recipes and inspiration)

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

What is the one thing you will not eat, regardless of who it's prepared by, and where it's served? There are alot of things I wouldn't be that keen to try, but if prepared by the right person would ceratinly give them a go.

The one thing I wouldn't ever eat, I don't care if Jacques Pepin made them himself would be escargot.

I'd try bugs, I'll try brains, but I am not eating slugs, period.

Eggplant- I cannot even smell it without getting physically sick.

Edited by Mnehrling (log)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

I have a few thing I don't like, but others love (don't flame me):

The Thanksgiving Tri-Fecta (Yams/sweet potatoes, Cranberry sauce, Creamed veggies)

Berry sauces on/in cake (why ruin a perfectly good chocalate cake with a layer of jam in it?)

The combination of cheese and mayo (which is why I almost never eat cheeseburgers)

Raw tomatoes on sandwiches (salsa yes! plain unseasoned raw tomato, no!)

Pears (they taste like faulty apples)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Raw fish. You can call it Sushi, I call it not cooked yet. Couldn't pay me enough to eat it.

I love seafood, but won't touch oysters. Slime in a shell. No thanks.

I detest raw onions and will go out of my way to pick them out of anything they come in, even if that means spending a half hour picking them out of the tuna salad.

Watching Fear Factor has made me realize that I have a very weak stomach. I can't imagine even smelling most of the things the people on that show eat. Disgusting.

I well and truly loathe black licorice. Nasty, nasty stuff.

On a lesser note (and please EG taskforce, don't hunt me down) I dislike bacon, and avoid pork whenever possible.

Radicchio, coriander and cilantro used to be a 'never' along with licorice; however I have taught myself to tolerate radicchio -- I figure the dark purpley-red colour means its vitamin-rich.

I will never eat split pea soup, esp. with ham.

Olives. never.

spicy hot chili peppers. I don't like food that causes pain. :hmmm:

the tall drink of water...

Milk.

AMEN!

I hated the smell so much when I was a kid that I just couldn't accept vanilla ice cream because it looked like it.

Growing up, I would be happily eating something and when someone tells me that it was made with milk, I'd start imagining the smell...and stop eating

I am so much better now. I appreciate creams and cheeses in food, but I still can't go near milk.

A line from a TV commercial a while back perfectly expesses my feelings about sushi: "Where I come from, they call that stuff bait!"

I just don't like raw fish -- although I do like raw oysters. Go figure!

Licorice - Americans are notorious for our disdain for this flavor

eel - I think of it as water snake

tongue - it looks nasty, tough -

pigs ears, snout, feet - no explanation necessary

I hate pears - probably b/c my mom served me the canned version as a kid - I hate the texture

I will never eat cabecou cheese again - tried it in France this past summer and it tasted (and smelled) like goat urine

sweet wine - unless it's vin santo with cantucci or Banyuls with dark chocolate

Cincinnatti chili - its vile

Edited by hazardnc (log)

I have eaten a lot of things.. I just dont know if I am capable of bringing myself to eat.. Iowa swinging steak, i.e rock mountain oysters, or bull balls as they are also called.

Can anyone provide an account of eating them.

I have eaten a lot of things.. I just dont know if I am capable of bringing myself to eat.. Iowa swinging steak, i.e rock mountain oysters, or bull balls as they are also called. 

I had some once because I didn't know what they were. They weren't particularly good or bad. Probably the only reason I would eat them again is that's all there was left on the face of the earth to eat.

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I have never tried cojones either, but I actually think I could eat those before pigs snout - don't ask me why :blink:

However, here is a reporter's account of eating bull testicles Have a Ball at the Testicle Festival

Pets-no

Caviar-don't eat fish bait

Testicles-homey don't play that!

Vegemite-what the hell were the Aussies thinking (or drinking?)

Kraft processed cheese slices-only 3 ingredients away from being garbage bags

Sea Urchin-I have never eaten shit but I imagine that is what it tastes like

Anything cooked by that asshole Bobby Flay.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

• 1 year later...

The only reason I have never eaten Mountain Oysters ( we are talking Lambs here) is because they have been in someone elses mouth first. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Brains, I'm sorry, I just can't. It's a texture issue.

Jello, same issue.

Eyeballs, well, I'm sorry, no.

Bugs, insects, etc? YUM, fried and salted!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I have eaten pig snout and trotters, they're a delicacy in the Philippines, especially deepfried.

I have eaten other weird and wonderful stuff like monitor lizard (taste like chicken), crickets (in adobo sauce), and cave mountain snake (I was actually pregnant and the bosses in China said it was good for he baby). Oh and also raw sea urchin roe fresh from the sea urchin (a fishermen showed me how to break the spines off, crack the shell open and scoop out the roe from the insides (tastes like salty omelet).

I would however refuse to eat the following korean foods:

1. Raw octopus on a stick (I'm afraid it will get it's revenge by hanging onto my throat and I'll die a slow horrible death).

2. Raw crabs marinated in soy sauce or red chili pepper sauce

3. Silkworm larvae (looks like roaches to me... shudder)

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

2. Raw crabs marinated in soy sauce or red chili pepper sauce

thats one of my favorite korean dishes!!! My mom made the soy sauce one especially for me when I went to visit my parents a few months ago. you are making me homesick :sad:

The only think I won't eat/drink is milk. Its fine mixed in with deserts and icecream and such but I can't drink it straight. Its so thick and it smells HORRIBLE. My mother used to force me to drink the stuff when I was little. It took me over an hour to finish an 8 oz glass...I was holding my nose the entire time. Milk is nothing but pus!

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena, you can have all my marinated raw crabs (my korean friends still keep insist I try one). I agree with you on milk. I cannot drink it even if it chilled, warmed or spiced. I do however eat tons of cheese. :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Once you get past the look, fried and salted insects, especially grasshoppers, go down like potatoe chips, and are perhaps much more satisfying.

The only things I can recall almost throwing up on recently were urchin roe and nigiri sushi with a pregnant shrimp on it (with roe sac)

Things I would never eat again would be chicken gristle.

Things I will not eat in the first place:

Brains and spinal cord....mostly the colesterol and fat concerns me.

Abalone livers----they look and smell like baby poo.

Things I always think twice about:

liver and kidneys....something always gives me pause to think about it when its primary function in the body is to filter out poisons and waste.

Things I like that I find other people generally hate:

-room clearingly pungent cheese.

-durian

-insects

-tongue

-marrow

edit:

I don't think I'll touch fertilized eggs, fermented eggs, cheez in a can, or spam anytime soon.

Edited by s_sevilla (log)