• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won't eat... What are your food limits?

fifi

I will never eat sea urchin.  I have a couple of acquaintances who are on a "call list" from some restaurant and get a notice when a shipment of these creatures is due so they can make a reservation. 

They rave about them but I can't even look at the plate.

I'l second that notion. I eat just about everything at the sushi bar but that urchin is nasty.

Elvis needs boats, Elvis needs boats................

monkfish.

i had nightmares after the first time i had to clean them for our thursday night monkfish special.

ditto for the time i cut a tumor out of an otherwise beautiful side of opah.

funny, cleaning and portioning food was my favorite task at my last job, but i just can't eat the stuff anymore.

I won't eat:

Tuna in a can - vile smelling. Can't be in the same room with the stuff.

Raw onions. I know - I know. I have seen so many posts here berating people for disliking raw onions. I didn't realize it was such a big deal to so many people. But, for me it is simple - they make me gag. Cooked onions though ? Love 'em!

Robin Tyler McWaters

Sadly I have eaten most foods put in front of me and having been to Iceland twice this includes pickled herring, rotten shark, hardefisk, smoked salmon, and yes testicles....the waitress said " you call them balls. no?".........that was the best part of the dish YIKES probabley never eat any of it again but also no olives raw tomatoes things that are still alive ..oysters are dead right? hmmmm big bugs might be too creapy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

WOW! Reading this thread has really been an eye-opener. I didn't realize that so many people hated bananas! Who knew?

I have a husband who, besides hating peanut butter as a kid, also doesn't recognize coconut as a food.

I long ago decided that I couldn't eat anything I disected in Biology class. Which means I won't eat frogs. (I don't care if they taste like chicken: I will happily eat chicken.) Nor will I eat perch. Any other fish is fine, as long as it isn't called "perch."

No insects, amphibians or reptiles. Which means no escargot. Those of you who love them may have my share.

Edited by rosebud (log)

Heh. I've got a weird food aversion for y'all:

Canned tomato soup.

It's a childhood food thing, I think. I never had it at home because my mom had an aversion to the stuff too. So I first encountered it in the school lunchroom. To me, it had a color not normally found in nature, and an aroma and texture that had as little to do with real tomato as I could imagine. I loathed it on sight. I don't think I ever actually tasted any--I must have, because I recall the texture impression. Must have blotted the traumatic experience itself from my memory. :biggrin:

I really don't care for tomato juice either, for similar reasons.

Strangely, I love just about any other form of tomatoes you can name--raw, cooked, in sauces, even home-made tomato soup, all are fine. But as far as that can o' Campbells, well, Andy can keep it on the wall.

Otherwise I'm a pretty brazen eater. I'm therefore paradoxically grateful for my tomato-soup aversion -- it helps teach me that some food preferences and aversions simply do not yield to rational analysis, and that's that. :cool:

(edited to fix some fussy little stylistic thing that probably only I noticed...)

Edited by mizducky (log)

Heh. I've got a weird food aversion for y'all:

Canned tomato soup.

It's a childhood food thing...

I absolutely agree. For me it was cafeteria lunchroom at school, which smelled so awful that I was the only child in my family that carried a lunch box. I have never eaten tomato soup in my life and that's saying something.

Besides that, I will not eat fish head, tripe, chicken feet or pig's feet, tail or ears and especially not snout. I have such an aversion to the snout thing, that a photograph will make me lose my appitite, which is almost an impossiblity.

Emma Peel

The only prepared food item that I can remember refusing is tongue. It was 25 or more years ago at a friend's house. She and I had spent an afternoon playing tennis and after a quick call home she invited me for dinner as her husband had prepared "something special' - it just so happened he owned one of the better French restaurants in the city I lived in at the time. However, when the platter hit the table bearing nothing but a large greyish looking ... well let's just say "tongue" is not what I was seeing, in fact I had no idea what I was seeing ... I politely declined assuring them that the salad and bread had been plenty :sad:

Sadly, that experience has resulted in an aversion I can't seem to overcome.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

any animal that's still alive.

there's no real justification for eating an animal or part of an animal that's still alive, except to induldge a questionable sense of epicurianism.

endangered or threatened animals.

brains, tongue (although i've had it), testicles, things like that.

brussell sprouts.

bugs, generally.

hard boiled eggs (reprise). they stink.

any cheese that smells like vomit.

cheese with maggots.

cheers :)

hc

There are a lot of things I don't eat if other food is available, but they don't fall into the category of "never-ever-uh-uh" for me. For example, I don't eat beef or pork (except bacon) as a general rule, but I would if I found some that was particularly appealing or if I was really hungry and that's all that was available.

My never-ever foods are:

Brains. There's not enough data out there about prions and vCJD for me to ever feel comfortable about eating nerve tissue from any animal. Having seen first-hand what early-onset Alzheimer's looks like I would never, ever want to go there, especially as a result of something I ate. May seem nonsensical to some but that's how I feel. I would probably draw the line at headcheese also.

Any food infested with some sort of insect. (I would, however, probably try fried or chocolate-covered insects.)

Oysters, because I got sick off a bad one as a teenager. That was some bad sickness, and although I've wanted to try them again I've never been able to. Once the oyster gets within slurping distance the memory of lying on the bathroom floor puking comes back and I just can't do it.

That's pretty much it.

edited to add - reading back through the thread I have to add dog, and live chick embryos on the half shell. Anything that seems like it's based on a dare is probably out for me.

Edited by designchick88 (log)

Javelina. Ever again. Just typing the word brings back the most vile taste you can imagine.

No brains, guts or gizzards. Or bugs, execpt for the occasional incidental. :biggrin::blink:

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Licorice, tabasco sauce, American cheese

On rye bread with some horseradish - that was my dinner last night.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!