• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won't eat... What are your food limits?

fifi

so, just how does one survive in Louisiana sans black-eyed peas? isn't that a major food group there? :hmmm:

My mother sure must have thought butter beans were a major food group! We grew them in our garden and had them so often, I can't stand them anymore.

I also cannot appreciate beets.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

Baby birds on sticks - grilled whole at street food stalls in China.

I looked closely at one in Beijing but just couldn't do - my Chinese friend assured me they were excellent!

I guess I'd be passing on the embryonic chicks too...

David

those are Quails and they're delicious

Sorry but that's not what I understand by quail - small poultry normally on toast.

Quite acceptable unlike the afore mentioned birds on sticks - I think its to do with the eat everything except the beak thing...

Within the realm of the bizarre foods I couldn't eat Rat.

Of the foods I may come across regularly? Lemon Meringue Pie. I can make it for my SO and she loves it. Shrimp heads are delicious, escargot exquisite, my mom being form Tennesse fixed okra (one of the few things she could cook), you name it, I'll try it, but not Lemon Meringue Pie. Odd I know, but then again, I am odd. :rolleyes:

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

It seems that there are three types of inedibles to most people:

the flavour is awfully primal

the texture is horribly visceral

the food is terribly familiar(think dog, cat etc.)

I think it bears repeating that if anyone in a particular country can eat it, while it may not be extremely tasty, it is not poisonous, and really, if one is starving, isn't that what is key?

That said, the texture I can't stand is viscousness of any sort, the flavour I cannot stand is that of anything rotting, and the food I would in absolute not eat is probably myself. After all, the stomach must have legs to travel on. : )

I would most likely try anything once.

tu autem servasti bonum vinum usque adhuc

i don't know.  it just sort of reminds me of the anecdote that kim jong-il eats sashimi straight off a still-living fish.

I'm pretty sure this is available -- even to folks other than Dear Leader -- in Japan as well.

Sashimi cut off "living" fish is available in some mainstream sashimi restaurants in the U.S. as well. I know of at least two in Northern Virginia.

This is called ikezukuri ( 活け作り -- the kanji are for "living" and "to make" or "to build" -- or 生け作り -- kanji for "live" or "genuine" and "to make" or "to build") and is common in better Japanese sushi-ya.

A literal reading of the word would allow for the common serving technique of arranging the sliced fish on its skeleton, without regard to its state of health or the time of its death. However, in common usage and as understood by most people, this refers to slicing pieces from the flesh of a live or just deceased fish. In fact, while one can find it sliced directly from the still live fish, it is most commonly done with a fish that is taken from the tank, killed, and immediately sliced.

I've most often seen this preparation done with ishi-dai and aji, but is not limited to these fish.

With regard to Kim Jong-il, I think this is more than an anecdote. His long-time Japanese personal chef has written a book (published only in Korean and Japanese, I believe) detailing his life with the Dear Leader, including curiosities both gastronomic and otherwise. The book describes Kim's love of sushi and sashimi, including ikezukuri.

In terms of things that I cannot eat, I would have to say the only one that comes to mind is American-style, canned, water-packed albacore tuna. For whatever reason, the mere smell of it induces a gag reflex. Then again, I am not generally fond of canned fish. Good Italian tuna packed in olive oil is another story. Peter Pastan (Obelisk) used to do a roasted pepper stuffed with a tuna mousse that was out of this world.

Bugs, brains, live things, long-fermented things...bring 'em on...just keep that damned Starkist away from me!

There are other things that I would not choose to eat, but that do not make me ill -- Japanese style curry, Korean kimbap, American fast food, etc. The aforementioned water-packed albacore is the only one that actually turns my stomach. I imagine that, were I starving, I could also eat the canned tuna. However, I've not had to try, as I am one of those blessed never to have come closer to real hunger than the looks of desparation and smells of sickness one encounters in the slums of certain Asian cities.

Would that all had the great fortune of choosing their food. This thread makes me realize just how fortunate we all are here on eGullet.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Gosh. . .

And to think one of my favourite comfort foods is thinly sliced pork liver (I can't stand calf liver, but pork liver's okay) lightly fried with onions, spring onions and ginger. :biggrin: Not to mention double-boiled brains with chinese medicinal herbs.

I don't think I could do the okra though, even smothered in curry. Actually, I don't like corn either. . . *hides from the incredulous stares*

P.S. Be kind. This is my first posting!

huien, I'll join you in a little public embarrassment. I don't hate corn, but there is one food I hate and will never eat despite puzzled and mocking looks from pretty much everyone I meet.

Mashed potatoes.

You can persuade me to eat a crispy thin french fry, or thinly sliced scalloped potatoes smothered in cream & cheese, (where, in both cases, the potato taste & texture have been cooked out), but you will never, ever get me to eat mashed potatoes. The texture and taste make me shudder. Baked potatoes are pretty nasty too. It's the mealy texture, I think, that does it - reminds me of a bad, mushy apple. :blink:

I'm of Irish & German descent too - I recognize the irony.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I have eaten and even like many of items that are disliked by others in the thread (love rabbit, enjoy grasshoppers, fish eyeballs were my favorite as a youngster, miss kidneys and eat liver from time to time, made my own raw egg in shell pickled in vinegar concoction).

I don't have a problem eating dog but I'm waiting to try it in its proper context. i.e. in Korea. I will get my Korean friend to take me to a place where there is good dog.

Ditto for brains. I'd eat them and I have a friend who ate them in Belgium. I just haven't had the opportunity/found a restaurant that features this ingredient.

Fugu sounds a bit iffy but again, I'd check with folks I know in Japan for pointers to the safest place to eat this.

I have an egg allergy so eating raw/soft boiled/scrambled/poached egg/meringue/egg custard is out of the question. Egg as an ingredient within a dish is usually fine (e.g. cake, quiche) as is hard boiled egg.

My Mum is the source for the reason that I can eat almost anything. As a youngster, she cooked and served us a variety of odd foods. e.g. escargot, chicken feet, haggis, kimchi, etc. So, I am not so encultured to one cuisine.

Another thing, if there's something I don't think I'd like, I'm game to eating it once in order to have an informed opinion (even if it means I'll throw up). At least I tried.

Living in the South, I'm looking forward to eating chittlings and pigs feet, preferably in someone's home but at a push, at a restaurant.

there is one food I hate and will never eat despite puzzled and mocking looks from pretty much everyone I meet.

Mashed potatoes.

What would Elvis Presley say of this ?

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Well, when Viva said to Elvis- "Would you like my mashed potatoes? I don't like them very much."

Elvis will say (not would, will. as Mojo Nixon says "Elvis is Everywhere"), " Why yes I would ma'am. And thank you. Thank you very much."

Mojo Nixon-Elvis is Everywhere

They look like Elvis.

ELVIS!

Everybody in outer space looks like Elvis.

Cause Elvis is a perfect being.

We are all moving in perfect peace and harmony towards Elvisness

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

And Elvis would probably like me very much, as I wouldn't be horning in on his potato stash!! :laugh:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I will never eat sea urchin. I have a couple of acquaintances who are on a "call list" from some restaurant and get a notice when a shipment of these creatures is due so they can make a reservation.

They rave about them but I can't even look at the plate.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Duck or chicken eggs complete with embryo are called balut, at least in the Philipines. I don't believe I could eat those either.

Or bugs.

(edited becuz I cain't spell)

balut are pretty good...it needs some getting used to...there's also the usual tripe, oxtails...but as for blowfish(which i think is called fugu in japanese), i'd pass on that.

Unless we are talking live or die situations, olives are near the top of my list. I think a big bowl fo them looks beautiful and I always have them out for people when I host a cocktail or dinner party, but I cannot stomach them myself.

• 3 weeks later...
Duck/chicken embryo semiformed in the egg (I forget the exact name). I saw it being eaten on a foodnetwork tv show.

In the Philippines, it's called pulutan. And no, I never ate it. Very popular there, though, especially as a bar snack. Also sold in bus stations as road food <shudder>.

From what I can recall, it's called balut (it's pronounced like the "u" in "put"). Men consider it an aphrodesiac and verility enhancer... good Lord.

As a child, I'd be getting ready for bed when I'd hear the street vendor shouting, "Baluuuuut, baluuuuut." Clearly sold at night for a reason... who wants to look at an embryo while you're eating it? I've always seen it semi-hard-cooked; in other words, when you crack the top of the shell open and sprinkle some salt in to taste, you tip the egg up to drink the broth before consuming the tasty treat inside... aaaaaaaaaack.

And, no, absolutely no. I never ate it. Vaguely remember drinking the broth once but would've been completely horrified if the embryo had touched my lips.

:blink:

Edited to add that my food aversions can be summed up in one simple statement: No feet, faces, or organs. Especially at dim sum. Duck tongues. Chicken feet. Tripe. Not even a hope. However, I do love pate...

pulutan is small portions of different foods that filipinos eat while drinking...and balut..it's extremely delicious..haven't had one in ages.

I would rather starve ( and I went without food for a whole day on a fishing trip because of it ) FRENCH'S YELLOW MUSTARD

Can't stand it. Can't smell it.

Driving on a vacation in Europe. Saw fields of yellow flowers. What's that ? I ask.

Mustard was the response.

What a waste was mine !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 6 months later...

Since I'm a pretty new member and haven't yet had my say, I'm going to resurrect this fascinating thread...

I'm a pretty adventurous eater and have tried big game, insects, fugu, etc. (I draw the line at dog, cat, or monkey) but if there's one common enough food I don't like, it's anchovies. They spoil the taste of a Caesar salad dressing for me, and if they're on pizza? horrors! They make the rest of the pie inedible.

A friend of mine won't eat sweet potatoes in any form.

There's no accounting for tastes.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Great topic. Being a vegetarian, meat is obviously top on my list and all of the aforementioned "meat parts" are off my list anyway (thank god!). I will however, eat pretty much anything else, seafood included. The one thing I won't eat though, is roe. Bleah. Just the thought of it...

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

But of normal stuff, cannot eat bananas.

Cannot even stand the smell of bananas.

If a banana peel is in my waste can at work, will remove it immediately.

Have no idea why.  Just something about them that affects me viscerally.

Probably am the only person on the planet with the aversion, but it is a real one.

Otherwise, am pretty normal foodwise.

A friend of mine declares that bananas are the fruit of Satan and absolutely detests the smell and taste of them. He says that it had to do with a bad experience at a strip club. No elaboration was given and none was necessary.

:blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Great topic. Being a vegetarian, meat is obviously top on my list and all of the aforementioned "meat parts" are off my list anyway (thank god!). I will however, eat pretty much anything else, seafood included. The one thing I won't eat though, is roe. Bleah. Just the thought of it...

But, do you eat caviar? :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"