• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won't eat... What are your food limits?

fifi

So far most of you detest a lot of the foods I love!

Slimy is cool. OYSTERS and clams on the half shell anyone?

And I love okra fried up with onions and stewed tomatoes. Roasted parsnips I could eat like candy. It's Comfort food to me.

Leaving out the diseased animals, I'd have to say no to rat and cockroaches.

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff.

Oh yeah, probably the blowfish sashimi that if prepared incorrectly causes instant death. :shock:

JANE

Oh yeah, probably the blowfish sashimi that if prepared incorrectly causes instant death. :shock:

You did, I presume, watch Tony Bourdain on this dish? Enlightening..... :unsure:

A little background, if you missed "A Cook's Tour": (scroll down to the item on Fugu ...)

http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/food.html

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Internal organs for the most part intimidate me into nausea. I did grow up eating fried chicken livers and I do still eat them on occasion, somehow that's different. My mom's fried okra is the best but bolied okra is nasty, nasty, nasty. And I would chew off my own arm before I would eat over cooked broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage. Just the smell makes me turn that same gray/green color.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

I just can't seem to get an insect of any type in my mouth. In Khorat, Thailand, the night market is full of vendors selling crunchy deep-fried insects. I've seen beetles, grasshoppers and even ants. (Scorpions too get the treatment). They're served up in a paper cone, with plenty of hot sauce, and the lucky purchaser gets to nibble them like popcorn as he/she strolls the market. I have been offered many free samples (with lots of good-natured laughs from the locals) but I just couldn't bring one to my mouth.

The odd thing, if you think about it biologically, is that crabs and lobsters are really nothing but giant, flightless, aquatic insects. An arthropod is an arthropod is an arthropod. And I love them! Go figure...

I think I would draw the line at those duck embryo eggs. I saw T. Bourdain eat them and they were just fowl (or is that foul :biggrin: ) looking and I imagine the texture and taste are the same. Why would nyone eat them? I do not know.

Okra is good

Escargots yummy

bugs ---not sure but I might try them with hot sauce

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think I would draw the line at those duck embryo eggs. I saw T. Bourdain eat them and they were just fowl (or is that foul :biggrin: ) looking and I imagine the texture and taste are the same. Why would nyone eat them? I do not know.

I think I'm with you on that one.

I HAVE had insects (there is a restaurant in Santa Monica that has fried ants and I've cooked grasshopper bread so it is no big deal to me), but those embryo eggs just look a bit too scary...

I was reading this and thinking, "You know there's really nothing I wouldn't eat. Okra--like it, brain sandwiches--done it, duck emybro--on my to do list (seriously), cobra--in a second, bugs--done it and would again." Finally it hit me, EYEBALLS! Bad, bad experience dissecting one in second grade. Only if I were starving. (Like near death, not just hungry.)

SML

Edited by sml311 (log)

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

:biggrin: The first time I was in Hong Kong I passed a restaurant with a sign outside saying "YES! We have fish eyeballs in soy sauce!"

And I thought, Why is that sign in English? You really get a whole lotta round-eyes looking for the fish eyeballs?

milk (drink, i guess)

He@#$% yeah! Why doesn't the average human being realize how truly disgusting bovine secretions are in their unaltered form?

I will eat anything - ANYTHING - on this earth that walks, crawls, or just sits there. But sucking on another species' teats is just too much. It's not the principle involved. The actual milk is just too gross.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

I was reading this and thinking, "You know there's really nothing I wouldn't eat. Okra--like it, brain sandwiches--done it, duck emybro--on my to do list (seriously), cobra--in a second, bugs--done it and would again." Finally it hit me, EYEBALLS! Bad, bad experience dissecting one in second grade. Only if I were starving. (Like near death, not just hungry.)

SML

You haven't had the huachinenga a la plancha at Tampico on Airline. Try it, then get back to me on fish eyeballs.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

I have no problem with internal organs. I don't really like brains becuase of the BSE thing, but otherwise don't mind.

I like all sorts of extremities like feet and ears and trotters. Yum.

I will eat all sorts of bugs, as long as it's not a maggot or a grub. Esp deep fried. Live, not so interesting to me. I pick out grubs from the garden all the time, and their squishy texture, and squirmy movements just don't sex me up.

I will never eat dog. I have several dogs and it's just not going to happen.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Blue food. Blue candies (I pick out the blue ones - even M&M's / Smarties), blue icing, even blue cheese & blueberries most of the time. I don't know why, but there's something wrong with food that's blue. :hmmm:

I think that I might even eat bugs before blue candies, but it would be a fine line. :laugh:

You did, I presume, watch Tony Bourdain on this dish? Enlightening..... :unsure:

A little background, if you missed "A Cook's Tour": (scroll down to the item on Fugu ...)

http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/food.html

Thanks for the cool link, GG.

Yes, I did see the CT episode (also read the book of course)

Well, I guess if the chef would be willing to take his own life if I croaked from the fugu, then I'd give it a try!

But then what if he was having a bad day anyway, like his wife left him, and he felt he had no reason to live? And then he drags himself to work and sees this stupid American lady with a big grin on her face, ready to enjoy the scary Japanese fugu. It might be enough to put him over the edge! :laugh:

JANE

Eyes. I know they're supposed to be a delicacy in whole fish and calf's/sheep's head. I'll eat a calf's head with pleasure, but the eyes I've tried always look and taste disgusting.

And then I have a Turkish cookbook with a recipe for goat's penis. You start by slicing the penis into 1/2" pieces....

They're supposedly aphrodisiacs. I've never eaten the embryo part. I can't even look at that part, but my dad used to give me the bit of remaining yolk and that was pretty good.

I don't know my limits. I think I would probably try anything on a dare, even a whole balut as long as my eyes are closed.