• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won't eat... What are your food limits?

fifi

I detest anything slimy that has to be swallowed :unsure: ... so I would have to go with boiled okra ... ewwww!

and it isn't as if one could simply swallow (but I prefer to "spit" here! :shock: ) the disgustingly gooey okra pods ... somewhere along the line, you just have to "chew" the okra ...

fried okra also is not a big "turn on" for me either .. on the theory that it would ultimately mix with one's saliva and turn gooey inside of me (and I would "know" that!!) ... ewwww redux!!

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'll go with bugs and slugs. Nope. No escargot. Not on my watch.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Anything that is above 5 or so on the heat scale is out of bounds for me. I do like spicy stuff, just have a limit.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I assume we're talking would rather starve to death on desert island than eat, right?

Cockroaches. Pretty much everything else, I could choke down if I had absolutely no other choice ever on this world.

I'd eat people before I'd eat most other bugs, though.

*shudder*

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I'll go with bugs and slugs. Nope. No escargot. Not on my watch.

Fifi;

I believe we can also add okra to that list, can we not :laugh:?

THW

Okra slime would be in the do not touch group. I have been known to choke down okra well hidden in gumbo. Fried I will tolerate but I can't come up with a good reason to go to all of that trouble. Hell... just fry up some thin catfish filets if you want fried cornmeal. You know, I can't even come up with a mental image of what okra tastes like. All that being said, okra in general does not rise to the do not touch level.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Snake is the one thing I refuse to eat.

AB made me scream watching his show when he ate that snake.  :shock:

You mean you didn't enjoy Tony Bourdain eating the still-beating cobra heart with gusto?? Personally, it made me think twice about what I was willing to consume ... :rolleyes:

and then there is that irritating question of what a good wine pairing might be with cobra heart ....

a red to go with the beating?

a white to accompany the facial hue of the diner? :unsure:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

I'd have to be in a hell of a pinch to eat a lot of things, and I'd eat anything if it was my only option, but black eyed peas are right at the top of the list. I cannot abide by them. I've tried them a hundred different ways, and I've buried a couple of beans in a big mouthful of something else, but I just cannot get them down.

If it was my only option, I'd be in trouble...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

so, just how does one survive in Louisiana sans black-eyed peas? isn't that a major food group there? :hmmm:

Not neccessarily where I grew up. I had to move to New Orleans to really discover red beans and rice. In Cajun country, it's rice, predominantly.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Since I have been here in Atlanta for many years, albeit a northern transplant, I pay due homage to the black-eyed peas with much reverence.... how might one properly celebrate New Years here without them? Local folklore ...they are a little too pasty in their "mouthfeel".... :sad:

Parsnips.

No matter how that vegetable is prepared, ---- mashed, candied, roasted----I just can't get it down. I've tried, my Mother tried, to no use. I just plain can't stand the flavor. Other roots are fine -- just not parsnips.

Salmon. Tried it many different ways - planked, smoked, cajun blackened, etc. -but it still tastes like salmon. It's so popular that I still give it a chance once in while, especially if the preparation makes it sound too good to pass up. But, nothing has changed my mind yet. Salmon

KathyM