• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Coffee Roasters

Elissa

Have you used a home coffee roaster? Did you happen to catch that piece in the Wall Street Journal on Friday about them? The WSJ reviewed four or five. If anyone has the article on hand, I'd like to know (because I forgot) which one they said was 'best.' Sounds a bit tricky to listen for the first and second 'pops,' but I'd imagine that having the machine is worth it for the smell alone. Even, if you never get the right roast.

Fond regards

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I've got both a hearthware gourmet and a home built drum roaster that attaches to my grill. The heathware roaster is pretty basic but overall you can make pretty good coffee with very little effort using one.

There have been some good posts on roasting coffee, for some reason I think they were in the General Food forum, rather than the beverage forum. And then there's Far Guy's Adventures in Home Coffee Roasting series in Adventures in eating.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Adventures in Home Coffee Roasting from eGullet.

The Journal piece was so clueless it really irked me, not because cluelessness surprises me but because I tried to get a real, non-clueless piece on the subject published in more outlets than I can count and they all said no! The Journal piece is, however, not available online to non-paying customers. The findings in short were:

1. Caffe Rosto

2. Zach & Dani's roaster

3. Fresh Roast Plus

4. Hearthware gourmet roaster

5. Alpenrost coffee roaster

In that order.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

it really irked me, not because cluelessness surprises me but because I tried to get a real, non-clueless piece on the subject published in more outlets than I can count and they all said no!

Welcome to the club!

I've tried every slant except:

Dear Editor:

Have you been wanting to publish more articles on how to fill your reader's homes with dense, gray smoke...?

Forget the sensuality, the huge number of unsusal coffee varieties, the big savings in coffee costs and instead stress the gadgets you can buy.

I should have known.