• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Green Bo

Fat Guy

Last night we witnessed something at New Green Bo that we were ashamed not to have thought of ourselves: a family brought in a big-ass halibut in a Fairway bag and the New Green Bo kitchen prepared it for them.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Last night we witnessed something at New Green Bo that we were ashamed not to have thought of ourselves: a family brought in a big-ass halibut in a Fairway bag and the New Green Bo kitchen prepared it for them.

Other than the xiao-long-bao, the Shanghaiese stir fried noodle is another slam dunk at this joint. The General Tso chicken is not bad but avoid the Shanghaiese Siu-Mai. They are too doughy.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Recently ate dinner including xiao long bao at Joe's Shanghai, and then we went to New Green Bo immediately afterward for more food. New Green Bo's xiao long bao are nowhere near as good as Joe's. Utterly disappointing. Broth was bad, wrapper was weak, and the service was lacking.

Also note there were no Asian people in the restaurant the entire time we were there. We should have taken that as a sign...

• 5 months later...

Warning: do not go to New Green Bo too early in the day. We had our first-ever unsatisfactory meal at New Green Bo today. On account of various scheduling concerns, we went at 11am, right when the place opens. The scallion pancakes were pale and saturated with oil -- presumably because the oil wasn't hot enough. The rice cakes were also underdone and totally white. The fish tasted like the last of yesterday's mise-en-place. Only the dumplings hit the mark -- they tasted the same as always.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...

New Green Bo redeemed itself this evening. We had a great meal.

We were at one of the big tables, 5/8 occupied by another group. They were Asian-American, and we were the whitest people in the restaurant. We ordered boiled pork and leek dumplings, fish in fermented wine sauce, and rice cakes with mushrooms. They ordered hot and sour soup, cold noodles with sesame sauce, beef with broccoli, beef lo mein and sweet-and-sour chicken.

• 3 months later...

I like the scallion pancakes a lot, light and flakely and not oily, but they could use a bit more scallion flavor in my opinion. I also enjoy the steamed pork dumplings which are very juicy.

We tried the tong-po pork. The preparation was very different from New Yeah Shanghai across the street. New Green Bo's version was almost candy-apple red and cloyingly sweet. The layer of fat on top was very unappetizing. We ate less than half the dish and we didn't take the leftovers home. The xiao long bao seemed "okay" and some other wonton soup we ordered was also unremarkable. Perhaps we ordered all the wrong items off the menu.