• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean foods-- bap

Thanks. Having discovered this store and a nearby Korean restaurant, I've rekindled my interest in Korean food, sparked by my college roommate from Seoul. Methinks an on-going Korean food at home thread might be in order....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks. Having discovered this store and a nearby Korean restaurant, I've rekindled my interest in Korean food, sparked by my college roommate from Seoul. Methinks an on-going Korean food at home thread might be in order....

Methinks so too. I have to get some, well alot, of Korean recipes down on paper from my mom, before it's too late. And a little nudging here on egullet would certainly help me get off my procrastinating you know what. My mom's family owned a good chunk of of land in Korea's most fertile region before the Korean war. They still have some of it, even now almost everyone in the region with the same family name as her is a relative. About 20 years ago, everyone was!

I'm afraid that even Koreans often times underestimate the range and variety of our cooking.

I enjoy bibimbap but I can't justify paying for it in restaurants since it's essentially a clever way of using leftovers. For the most part, in Korean restaurants, I won't order anything that I can easily make at home, but I make an exception for bokkum bap because for some reason mine at home never turns out as good as what they make in restaurants.

But my favorite thing to do with rice is taking leftover bap, boiling up some water, and then pouring the boiled water over the bap and then eating that with leftovers. When I went to college, I developed a taste for Rice Dream because it reminded me of the taste of eating the watered down rice.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I have to say, I guess I'm way too Americanized but I don't get the whole frozen fish in the hwedupbap. So Iasked why it's frozen and I heard the hot rice was supposed to melt it. Now, I eat pretty fast, so this melting business never happens for me. :sad:

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Where did you have hwedupbap with frozen fish in it? As in the fish was still frozen when it arrived at your table?

They do it like this in all the places in Seoul that I ate at last time, where I had it. But they do it here too. Yeah, it's still frozen fish, I think tuna.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My very first post.

I love korean food!!! My favorite rice dish is a really good hwedupbap at most restuarants in the US. It used to be BeeBimBap. On a trip to Sorak Mountains we stopped at a shack of a restaurant. We had BeeBimBap and frankly ruined all others BeeBimBap for me (for what ever reason the food always seem to taste better in the country of origion). I've search for the same taste but they nothings come close. So now I have given up on BeeBimBap and go straight for the Hwedupbab.

Soup

Hello,

My very first post.

I love korean food!!! My favorite rice dish is a really good hwedupbap at most restuarants in the US.  It used to be BeeBimBap.  On a trip to Sorak Mountains we stopped at a shack of a restaurant.  We had BeeBimBap and frankly ruined all others BeeBimBap for me (for what ever reason the food always seem to taste better in the country of origion).  I've search for the same taste but they nothings come close.  So now I have given up on BeeBimBap and go straight for the Hwedupbab. 

Soup

Welcome to egullet Soup!

I wonder if you have any Korean restaurants in your area that specialize in bibimbap, especially jeon-ju or dolsot bibimbap. Even when I'm in Korea I only order it places that specialize in the dish. At a 'general' Korean restaurant it's bound to be dissappointing.

Hello,

My very first post.

I love korean food!!! My favorite rice dish is a really good hwedupbap at most restuarants in the US.  It used to be BeeBimBap.  On a trip to Sorak Mountains we stopped at a shack of a restaurant.  We had BeeBimBap and frankly ruined all others BeeBimBap for me (for what ever reason the food always seem to taste better in the country of origion).  I've search for the same taste but they nothings come close.  So now I have given up on BeeBimBap and go straight for the Hwedupbab. 

Soup

Welcome to egullet Soup!

I wonder if you have any Korean restaurants in your area that specialize in bibimbap, especially jeon-ju or dolsot bibimbap. Even when I'm in Korea I only order it places that specialize in the dish. At a 'general' Korean restaurant it's bound to be dissappointing.

Actually, I live in Annandale VA. There is a vibrant korean community with restaurants that specialize in all kinds of dishes. However, its missing a beebimbap house. It also doesn't have a place serving SooJaeBee. Unless I've missed it. Let me know if you know of either.

Actually, I live in Annandale VA. There is a vibrant korean community with restaurants that specialize in all kinds of dishes. However, its missing a beebimbap house. It also doesn't have a place serving SooJaeBee. Unless I've missed it. Let me know if you know of either.

I'm not familiar with the area where you live. But I think in the D.C. forum there are a few threads discussing local Korean food.

SooJaeBee is really easy to make at home. You can even buy the "pasta" premade at a Korean grocery store. My favorite though is gamja soojaebee. Think of Korean gnocchi of sorts. The dough is made with boiled and gently mashed pototoes to which the smallest possible amount of flour is added, just enough so that it will "hold" together. The soup base can be anchovy/dashima broth or white beef stock.

You can even buy the "pasta" premade at a Korean grocery store. My favorite though is gamja soojaebee. Think of Korean gnocchi of sorts.

I've not made it from scratch. However, I have bought the premade stuff in the frozen section of the Korean store. Throw that in with a really good stock (sometimes I go with homemade when I have it, or I reach for the box) and what ever vegetable I have on hand. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

Soup

Where did you have hwedupbap with frozen fish in it? As in the fish was still frozen when it arrived at your table?

They do it like this in all the places in Seoul that I ate at last time, where I had it. But they do it here too. Yeah, it's still frozen fish, I think tuna.

Not trying to argue with a Seoul sistuh. But I've never been served it that way in Seoul or in LA. Very,very cold, yes. But still frozen never.

We must have gone to all the different places. :biggrin: