• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Festivals

KatieLoeb

that picture looks *nothing* like you, and does you no justice whatsoever.

Which picture, Tommy? The blurry Greek Fest shot from tonight, or my avatar "Katie-with-Hat" photo? The avatar photo is admittedly a few years old, but I still think I look more or less the same. My hair is longer and not as dark, but it's still me. More makeup than usual though, I confess. To mess with Shakespeare a bit - "Vanity, thy name is Katie!" :biggrin:

But I thank you nonetheless :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

no, silly, the blurry one.

OK - just checking! You had previously mentioned that you didn't think I looked like my avatar photo either, so I wasn't sure. :unsure:

But I do appreciate the compliment! :wub: Keep 'em coming... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The picture is all Herb's fault. He kept leaning back as if he didn't want to be associated with the others. Forced me further back than the dinky digital flash could handle. Plus I had been drinking, plus I was focusing on the food. Plus Katie was a little blurred when she arrived.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The picture is all Herb's fault. He kept leaning back as if he didn't want to be associated with the others.

Herb has been out with this crowd before... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Wheres the bartender at?  Those two in the back need a drink... :smile:

You got sharp eyes there, awbrig! The bartender kept playing peek-a-boo, and I had to ask the church ladies to summon somebody so we could get our wine. I think they were still getting the kinks out; there weren't any lamb shanks there either. All the more reason to head over there again tonight...

Would someone please expand on the topic of the food at St.G's, along with costs? I need to convince some friends to go with me tonight and it would probably help a lot if I could tell them more about what to expect. Also does anyone remember what time they're open 'til? Personally I'd like to just eat pastries. thx, kt

Welcome, katbert!

The cost for dinner is an even $10. That gets you an entree (moussaka, pastitsio, roast chicken, etc.), two sides, a salad and bread. That's a LOT of very good food! There are also maybe eight or nine kinds of pastries available, from basic baklava to more exotic choices. I personally recommend the "evil shredded wheat." Whatever the real Greek name is...

Here's a photo of last year's lunch menu. I don't think the dishes have changed over the last eight months.

Link to HollyEats

You got sharp eyes there, awbrig! The bartender kept playing peek-a-boo, and I had to ask the church ladies to summon somebody so we could get our wine. I think they were still getting the kinks out; there weren't any lamb shanks there either. All the more reason to head over there again tonight...

The lamb shanks were the highlight of the evening for me. No wait, the spanakopita was. No wait, the favas and artichokes were. No wait, the pastries were. (I went with several friends--we were supposed to go out for drinks but I convinced them to go to there instead--I don't think I saw you guys, judging from the pic, but we went about an hour after you said to meet).

Aw man, you mean if I'd been there an hour later, I coulda gotten a shank? All I saw were slices of what looked like roast lamb. Well, all the more reason to go again, maybe for lunch today. Also to try that fava/artichoke tag team combo...

The lamb shanks were the highlight of the evening for me. No wait, the spanakopita was. No wait, the favas and artichokes were. No wait, the pastries were. (I went with several friends--we were supposed to go out for drinks but I convinced them to go to there instead--I don't think I saw you guys, judging from the pic, but we went about an hour after you said to meet).

you mighta caught us, jas.

we didn't leave til about 8:00 or 8:15.

katbert, don't worry there is a significant dessert selection for you to devour.

the entrees were athenian chicken, lamb shank, salmon sauteed with garlic and something else, pasticchio, moussaka.

i'm actually gooing back for lunch in a few.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

you mighta caught us, jas.

we didn't leave til about 8:00 or 8:15.

Probably just crossed paths. I think when Andrew said they were still working out the kinks, he was probably right, though--most of our stuff wasn't real warm when we got it.

Man those pastries, though. It reminded me of the things I liked about eating in greece. The only thing that just can't be the same here is the dessert they have in Greece, which is that real thick yogurt, with tangerine pieces and honey. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry I missed out, my cat had to get some charcoal juice to fix her stomach. Looked like she ate tulips. Even she can't restrain herself from sampling the delicacies of my backyard.

The 1349 is my address, my b-day would be 11-10-78 - just a baby.

Had Tony Luke's for lunch today - yum.

I'm in Brooklyn for the weekend, have a bridal shower to go to tomorrow. Will eat at my favorite Italian American joint in bay ridge, Gino's on Sunday.

Have a great weekend!

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 4 months later...

This weekend is the Greek Festival at St. Thomas' Church in Cherry Hill, NJ. Supposedly one of the largest on the east coast :blink:

I'm hoping to make it there either Saturday for dinner or Sunday afternoon.

Anyone want to join me?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

This weekend is the Greek Festival at St. Thomas' Church in Cherry Hill, NJ.  Supposedly one of the largest on the east coast  :blink:

I'm hoping to make it there either Saturday for dinner or Sunday afternoon.

Anyone want to join me?

The Red Sox prevented my wife and I from going at a decent time on both days but we did go on Sunday after the game. Last year I had the lamb which was great. I usually don't roast a whole lamb myself so it was a treat. Unfortunately I was late this year and the lamb was out. Their other stuff is pretty good though. I dated a greek girl for 7 years and recipes were what I remembered.

Maybe we can join you for the next event.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Rockhopper:

I meant to post earlier, but have been busy. You've provided me with an excuse. South Jersey Epicurian (Gary) and myself stopped by here on Saturday evening. It was mighty crowded outside and the lines for the gyros off the grill were LONG. But we opted for the sit-down restaurant inside after filling our bags with olives, cheeses and pastries at the gourmet food stand and the bakery areas. For $12 I got two skewers of souvlaki, rice, big slabs of moussaka, a Greek salad and a beverage. Definitely a good value. Unfortunately, the souvlaki was a tad overcooked and a bit dry. The moussaka was tasty, but surprisingly not as good as the one Gary and I made a few weeks ago for the Bobolink Dairy BBQ/Potluck! Greek salad was perfectly fine, but ordinary. Gary had the roast chicken which was tender and very tasty. I'd say this was a larger and better organized festival than some of the others we've been to, but the food quality was not as high as at the Elkins Park Festival and the pastries were about on par with the Center City Greek festival. We missed the dancing so I can't comment on the entertainment.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...