• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vinegar in India

The recent discussion on paneer (Indian cheese) got me thinking about vinegar in Indian cooking.

It was mentioned that rice vinegar is sometimes used in place of citrus acids, I had never really associated rice vinegar with India before. How popular is rice vinegar in India?

Is it similar to the rice vinegar found in Japan and other Asian countries?

What other types of vinegar are used through out India?

Are they "traditional" in the sense that they were created in India by Indians without outside influences?

Are there certain types of dishes where vinegar plays a heavy part?

Oh dear, I am starting to sound more and more like Suvir with the multiple questions! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin, you are being bad, very very bad.

Rice Vinegar surely must have come to India with the Chinese. I am sure someone that posts here can enlighten us further.

Goan cuisine uses vinegar. The Portugese had settled in Goa. Many dishes from that region have Vinegar.

Tandoori meats are often tenderised with Malth Vinegar. Not sure how that came about.... again, someone here could enlighten us about it.

Chinese food (what we call Indian Chinese) is hugely popular in India and vinegar is thus very popular. Vinegar goes into dishes served in Chinese restaurants, vinegar with green chiles soaking in it is served as a condiment in Chinese restaurants.

Onions soaked in vinegar are served in Indian restaurants serving Northern Indian food.

Sindhi Pickles are often made with Vinegar.

Vinegar is now easy to find in India... when did it first get popular? I am not sure.

Vinegar is produced when natural yeast in the air acts on the juice of whichever fruit is being used to make the vinegar. It converts the sugar to alcohol, and then this alcohol is converted to acid. Acetic acid is the substance which gives it its tenderizing quality.

The strength of acetic acid in vinegar varies depending on the fruit base. Every country uses vinegar made from locally abundant fruit. Grape and cider vinegars remain the most popular for cooking in the West. Synthetic vinegar is widely available and is often used in India.

Prasad:

What do you mean by "synthetic vinegar"? What is it made from and what makes it "synthetic"?

Pan:

I am certainly not a chemist, but to answer your question the research says:

Synthetic Vinegar means a liquid derived from Acetic acid Synthetic Vinegar shall conform to the following standards :

1. It shall contain at least 3.75 gms of acetic acid per 100 ml.

2. It shall contain

i. Sulphuric acid or any other mineral acid

ii. Lead or copper

iii. Arsenic in amounts exceeding 1.5 parts per million

iv. Any foreign substance or colouring matter except caramel

Prasad:

What do you mean by "synthetic vinegar"? What is it made from and what makes it "synthetic"?

Pan:

I am certainly not a chemist, but to answer your question the research says:

Synthetic Vinegar means a liquid derived from Acetic acid Synthetic Vinegar shall conform to the following standards :

1. It shall contain at least 3.75 gms of acetic acid per 100 ml.

2. It shall contain

i. Sulphuric acid or any other mineral acid

ii. Lead or copper

iii. Arsenic in amounts exceeding 1.5 parts per million

iv. Any foreign substance or colouring matter except caramel

Prasad, I can't believe any foodstuff would have lead in it by design. Do you mean that it won't have lead in it?

Michael aka "Pan"

to add to the vinegar thread......

It is also used in making Meat Achar(pickles). Traditinally game ( wild boar, geese, duck) would be used but now chicken, mutton/goat and pork are popular. It is essentially meat pieces pickled( after fryingor boiling) in oil, vinegar and spices. Stays good at room temp. for months! Makes a great anytime snack with a rustic bread.

A place called Dhalli on the way to a moutain resort called Shimla was very famous for its meat pickles.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 4 weeks later...

Reading through some of the past threads on this board. I think the correct vinegar to use for Goan dishes is toddy vinegar, which is made from fermented toddy which is tapped from palm trees.

Its a dark and tangy product and really the only vinegar I use for Indian dishes since the alternative is the totally chemical tasting synthetic stuff. I use it in particular for Syrian Christian style beef which is one of my fallback recipes. Don't know what sort of vinegar Syrian Christians use in Kerala, but its probably something similar.

My Goan friends tell me that an alternative in their dishes that use vinegar like balchao or vindaloo is to use feni, the local Goan moonshine which can be distilled from coconut toddy or cashew apples (the fruit part, from which the but develops).

Haven't tried either since I think feni is way too rank to drink, but it might be interesting.

Vikram