• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Silver Spring?

I pass by daily and have seen a sign for "Asian Bistro" This can't be the Thai place can it? And someone (forgive my poor memory) previously had mentioned that Pho Hiep Ho was opening in downtown SS (also in Wheaton, if its the same one)

According to the official Downtown Silver Spring development website, there are two places now open: Asian Bistro and Thai of Silver Spring. Pho Hiep Hoa and--er--Cakelove are among the restaurants listed as "coming soon."

Wonder if there's any relation to "Asian Bistro" of M Street in DC.  Not bad, not great.

I had the Pho there today...my office is sooo freezing that I needed hot soup to warm up! And it really was not bad at all. :biggrin: I can't imagine that the SS one is going to be owned by the same people, though. I'll try to remember to ask them tomorrow when I get out for lunch.

Edited by squids (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I had lunch at Pho Hiep Hoa last week. Had a very mixed experience.

Food was very flavorful and fresh, with an excellent balance of spice, but the service was really, truly, horrid. I've tried to forget the mishaps that occurred during the meal, but they included the server not knowing which dish had pork and which had beef (my dining companion and I had to explain it to him -- and he argued with us), not getting silverware despite asking twice (we finally snagged from a nearby table), not getting plates to share our appetizer (despite asking twice) until we grabbed a busboy -- then my plate was dirty. Spilling both drinks when the server absentmindedly threw them onto the table with his back turned, waiting forever to get our check and then having to go up to the register to pay because our server had forgotten about it and was sitting down at a table by the door, staring into space.

We told the woman who rang us up that the food was great, but the service really horrible, and she somewhat apologized, saying that two of her servers were new, and there was a "guy in the kitchen who was driving her crazy." Hmmm. Okay.

The food was tasty enough for me to give it a second chance next time I'm back in town, and they're a new restaurant, so I'm willing to give the servers a little break-in time, but if it happens again, don't think I'll be going back.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I ate at Pho Hiep Hoa last week, too!

OK, being a restaurant kid (Ya know, growin' up in a restaurant and all -can I still call myself a kid? Hmm.), I totally understand the pains and roadbumps small, ethnic, family owned-places face when they open. Totally understandable.

But unless I'm mistaken, looking at their menu, their offerings are NOT that complicated. If they had their stuff in one sock they would need only 2 servers at lunch working the room, not 3 and there wouldn't be any lapse in service. It's just pho, com (rice dishes), bun and some apps, drinks and desserts (I think). Not a complicated menu.

But it took forever to flag a server to take my order and then I got flack for asking for a small dish on the side to mix my dipping sauces in. And the server was dour. Ai ya...

So why the crappy service? Who knows? On the day I went, I ordered pho and ca phe su da. I never got my drink AND I got charged for it. It took me 10 minutes to pay my bill and the owner was complaining about her brother's incompetence (my server) to me. "Yeah, he doesn't like to work the front but oh well..."

(Perhaps it's cause I'm Asian - and look Viet - that she felt she could be a bit more familar with me? Sounds strange but sometimes being of the same ethnic group, you DON'T get good service...PM me if you want an explanation)

The pho was very good - clear broth, good flavor and nice green plate to go with it. The problem was the portion was INCREDIBLY SMALL. Holy moly. It was like a kid's pho. OK, maybe it's cause they have to pay alot of rent and for the beautiful decorations but c'mon! Couple extra pieces of meat and noodles wouldn't have hurt.

I'll try again in a month...I hope they shape up, I'd hate to see them not have business.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

el Guajiro, which Sietsema inexplicably raved about as I never found it to be better than average, is closed. Replaced by yet another Mex/Salvadoran place.

I'm guessing it was replaced by El Rincon Latino, which is where I expected el Guajiro to be.

Just off Georgia on Thayer is Negril, a damm good Jamaican counter service joint.

It was a good pitstop on the way to the Pig Pickn.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Oriental East isn't just the best dim sum in the area - it rivals the stuff in Toronto.  Definitely better than anything in Boston, which has a billion times better Chinese food in general. 

The har gow - steamed shrimp dumplings - are always extremely fresh and crisp, and the ba la bao, the buns covered in a crusty exterior, are filled with amazing custard that beats 90% of dedicated Chinese bakeries.

I ate there recently, and can't say I agree the dim sum there is that amazing, although it may well be one of the best in the DC area (which I find weak for Chinese in general). I found the selection limited (not many seafood or vegetable offerings for one) and what was offered were a lot of fried and greasy style dumplings. They even charged for tea which I found annoying. I still enjoyed myself and found everything tasty, but I had better dim sum at a spot in Boston (I think it was called Chau Chow City or Grand Chau Chow but i'm not sure), and definitely better in NYC (Dim Sum Go Go for one), and even in West Orange, NJ (Joy Luck Pavilion, terrific, especially the jellyfish and congee.) I haven't had Toronto Chinese though I've heard good things.

Edited by jeanki (log)