• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Razor Clams

Basildog

Bumpity-ump.

I found a source here for these clams, which I've never had before. In a previous eG thread, folks mention cleaning out "the poo." Ahem. Anyone want to enlighten? What's "the poo"? Daniel, did you clean them, or just steam them like, well, steamers?

I dunno if its the same deal as how my mom prepares the clam( any type ), she just let them sit in a bowl of fresh water for about 2-4 hrs change water every 2 hrs. you'll notice at the bottom of the bowl would be sand and errrrr :unsure: ....poop, and also takes away the excess saltiness from the clams, as they start "vomiting" stuff out, you should see them squirt too once in a while, and plus the dead ones usually float if they dont ever open.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Bumpity-ump.

I found a source here for these clams, which I've never had before. In a previous eG thread, folks mention cleaning out "the poo." Ahem. Anyone want to enlighten? What's "the poo"? Daniel, did you clean them, or just steam them like, well, steamers?

Uh oh.. I do not "de-turd" them, as David Spade put it in the movie, Tommy Boy.. I didnt think I had to.. I had no problems anytime I have made them.. And I have seen no difference in the taste or quality between mine and the ones served in restaurants.. I think its just an added step,but if it makes you feel better you can soak them.. I guess the corn starch in water trick might work for them..

• 1 month later...

I've been given 4 dozen beautiful Razor Clams, they are lovely, fresh specimens. I want to cook them for some italian friends tonight.

Anyone got some great ideas for a good recipe. Nothing deep fried please. I was thinking maybe of something like I've had in Tokyo - charcoal grilled with butter and balsamic vinegar but all ideas welcomed.

I put the guys in a covered pot with a little water. Left them it on high for 4 minutes.. Took them out of the shell, chopped them up and the threw it in a wok with that had ginger garlic. Added shitake mushrooms then bok choy, then sichuan peppercorns..

A la plancha is good.. So is making razor clam w/ pasta... Razor clam on an open ravioli..

Thanks Dan - didn't see your post till now. I ended up making them doused in a little sake and butter and grilling for 4 minutes with some Parsley - superb.

However luckily I saved some back for the freezer so I am going to make your delicious sounding recipe this week!

Razor clams are the one food item I find so visually unappealing, I don't think I could eat them unless forced to. I'm not sure why, as I don't think they look like anything in particular... they're just creepy.