• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Shopping in Central Jersey

Mike:

We are also in agreement about Corrado's. I make a trip there myself a couple of times a year to buy bulk items - they have great prices on things like huge cans of olive-oil-packed anchovies - but it's not the sort of shop I'm talking about.

If you're going to travel that distance, I suggest you go the other way instead and visit Delicious Orchards in Colt's Neck. This is more along the urban upscale ideal of a fine foods variety store.

In New Jersey, everything is really spread out and you won't find anything without deliberate exploration.

I'm saving the local vs global for another thread. Even though it's discussed often, it's too good a topic to bury at the bottom of this one.

• 1 month later...

Mike:

What's so interesting about Fujiyama Mama when you've got Hon Bang down the street and Fuji across the way? Blecch. It reminds me of Friday's.

But to Shermar's original question, most of the places we're talking about are way too far to be convenient. For produce, NOTHING beats the Asian place on Rt. 1 3m south of Walmart in North Brunswick (N of Finnegan's Lane). The quality is so much more consistent than the AFC. It's one of those places marked just "JERSEY FRESH FARM MARKET" or something like that. Mostly produce & meat/fish (haven't gotten fish but hear it's good). Limited selection of overpriced dry goods. Florist. Indian grocery in the place around the corner -- nothing special, but it's very convenient because you can drive through one parking lot into the other.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA