• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternate Pastas

jhlurie

I'm holding in my hands a package of Mrs. Leeper's Corn Spaghetti, which I bought on a lark.

It was located in the ever-growing "gluten-free zone" of my local Whole Foods (I personally have no problem with gluten), which also contained rice pasta and Quinoa pasta. Located across the other side of the shelf--a bit set off from both the gluten-free and the "normal" semolina-based were also a few made with Spelt--which apparently also has its own form of gluten, but people who have problems digesting "regular" wheat gluten apparently don't have as much of a problem with it.

Putting aside issues about gluten sensitivity itself, are any of these products any good on their own merits? How do you sauce/prepare them?

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've tried corn pasta, but it really wasn't anywhere near as good as semolina. Rice pasta fared a bit better, but it had to be cooked very quickly or it turned to mush. So did the corn, actually. I ended up tossing the last of the "alternate" pastas I had, and just save up for something really good. Hmmm....like the ravioli I have stashed in the freezer..... :biggrin:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Wow, you brought back some horrible food memories. As a kid, I was violently allergic to wheat. There were very few gluten-free options in the 70s, but I do vividly remember the corn spaghetti. The main problem is that it gets very soggy and very sticky as soon as it's done. Stirring in cooking water or sauce or even butter does you no good. Of course I like to think they've improved the formula since then. The elbow macaroni version held its shape better, but it tasted just as bad. Well I guess not bad but certainly not tasty. Like undercooked cornbread. There was always that slightly raw almost metallic aftertaste. Which isn't compatible with the usual things you'd do with traditional semolina type pasta.

Well what about Quinoa? That's the only one nobody here has admitted to trying. :biggrin:

Also: as far as the Corn Pasta goes... what about the idea of frying it after you boil it? Might that not help with some of the texture problems?

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

We use rice noodles all the time, but in Asian preparations. Banh noodles for soups and salads and stuff like that. Stir fry dishes.

I wouldn't think of using a rice noodle in an Italian dish, it sounds yucky.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Also: as far as the Corn Pasta goes... what about the idea of frying it after you boil it?  Might that not help with some of the texture problems?

Not really because the biggest texture problem is that it pretty much dissolves.

I did try some sort of high-protein alternative pasta once. I guess it must have been soy but that doesn't sound right. It was probably spirals and pretty much puce (brownish greyish purple). It was just gross. I wish I could describe it better than that. Not bitter, like the corn. Not metallic. Kinda rancid and pungent. Like bad lamb. And really dry and heavy, in that 100% whole wheat sort of way.

I regularly use spelt pasta, and I quite like it. Like Spelt flour, the pasta has a "nuttier" taste and really works well with a butter/garlic sauce.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well what about Quinoa?  That's the only one nobody here has admitted to trying.  :biggrin:

shameless, it's true: i've tried quinoa pasta, maybe twice. it is beyond vile.

but i like quinoa for breakfast sometimes, hot with a little butter and jam :biggrin: also good in tabouli

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Spelt?  Quinoa? Corn?  Give me a break!

Actually, I would rather have dumb and dumber.

Pasta is pasta. 

"Alternate" pasta is some lame attempt at trolling.

Huh? Trolling? :blink:

On to the topic: I have tried some of the "alternate" pastas and have thought all were gross. Rice noodles we use a lot, but they are what they are, not a lame attempt to substitute for spaghetti. The worst was the the low carb stuff I tried while on the gestational diabetes diet.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

dave88: what's with you today? :unsure: wrong side of the bed? on the rag??

If it exists, we will taste it. This is not an advert for any of those; just the question "are any of these products any good on their own merits?" Legitimate question, and as you may have noticed the answers tend toward: NO.

Calm down, my friend. :laugh: