• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tampa Restaurants

Mummer

I've a business trip to Tampa next week.

Any "must go" restaurants? (I've been to Bern's and it doesn't qualify, IMHO.)

I'll be with a Vietnamese colleage; what's the best Vietnamese place? I'd love to have him order dinner, as long as it excludes what Westerners would call pets!

Edited by Mummer (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I just returned from a business trip in Tampa and am planning a more full write-up, but here's the highlights...

I had an exceptional dinner at SideBern's. It is the kind of creative food that is exciting without getting bizarre.

I know its touristy, but I also enjoyed my dinner at Columbia in Ybor City. I definitely reccomend staying in Ybor if you can, downtown is a wasteland. I stayed at the Don Vicente and would highly reccomend it.

You may also want to check out the Best of the Bay 2002 from the Weekly Planet Magazine. One of the places they mention is The Yellow Door, which is Vietnamese. I would have like to try it.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I believe Bern's is the best overall dining expeience in the country. But saying that, I had dinner at Sidebern's about three months ago while visiting. I called a week in advance and the chef (name escapes me now - I think Julie or Julia) prepared one of the most outstanding dinners I have ever experienced.

If Bern's isn't on your list, try Sidebern's - truly remarkable.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

But saying that, I had dinner at Sidebern's about three months ago while visiting. I called a week in advance and the chef (name escapes me now - I think Julie or Julia) prepared one of the most outstanding dinners I have ever experienced...

I'm quite envious! Jeannie Pierola is the chef's name and I was coveting a tasting menu when I was there. Unfortunately they told me it was only available for groups of 8 or more. If I ever get back, I'm definitely going to make a point of setting something up ahead of time.

Edited to add: if you're looking for a lunch place, The Laughing Cat in Ybor offers an exceptional value. For $8 you get a buffet of really tasty Italian and French items. It puts standard buffet food to shame.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks!

SideBern's is well supported. I hope Kiet is up for it. I'll pass along Yellow Door and our vendor there plugs me into Cuban places.

Both of my Bern's meals were as part of a large (20 or so) group. Great meat, fine service, trophy wine list (that's somebody else's thing.) Perhpas, the huge table diminished the experience. Our host was a pal of our waiter and we had a tour at one meal. Perhaps it's the size of the place. It didn't compare with memorable meals at smaller Philly (and European) restaurants.

I thought it was hokey that we had to go upstairs to have dessert. And I'd rather have cheese than sweets.

I found Mise en Place to be very good to excellent (appetizer was the excellent one, entree very good). It has a phenomenal wine list ; maybe not Bernsian but 90 Togni Cab for a very fair price for example.

beachfan

Yes, SideBern's is extraordinary. Thanks, posters, for that recommendation. I'll provide details later.

Kiet, my Vietnamese colleague, and I also had a good meal at The Yellow Door.

An aside - We all know that the booming US economy isn't happening today. Is it a national trend that we're greeted at a restaurant with an opening upsale about water? Both places did so, but neither argued when we said that tap water would be fine.

Back to The Yellow Door, voted Tampa's best new restaurant. Nice music playing, black clad waitresses (surprise!) stark, open, attractive room.

There weren't many people there early (7:00) on Wednesday, nor when we left. They call their menu Pan-Asian, a variety from the East, but we stayed with Vietnam dishes.

Aps were spring and fresh rolls, mains were duck breast in yellow curry and tendeloin of beef something (not mine, our server's favorite, tasty.) All were very good. My curry had a nice edge without being overbearing.

Sorry about lack of details, but I was there for dinner rather than note-taking. Next time in Tampa, I'll try the current best new restaurant. Seems the readers have good taste.

Funny thing - when I went to the restroom door, I found myself in the restroom corridor of the place next door.

(The restaurant group has a noodle house and a bistro. Kiet said he'd like to visit the noodle house for lunch, based on the menu they gave us. Maybe next time. We didn't see the bistro menu.)

SideBern's - Everything they say.

Since they print the menu daily, they were happy to give each of us a copy. That certainly makes details easier.

The room is as attractive and had, to me, a fifty's, Populux feel. A combination of the Mondrian-like logo, the free-flowing, large island bar and the light-blue shirted waiters.

Aps were Tuscan Tenderloin Carpaccio (reggiano crusted oysters, micro arugula, lemon truffle aioli) and Escargot Fricasee (baby spinach, oven dried tomatoes, golden raisins, spicy garlic sauce, parmesan crisp.) The former was a very tasty single slice, about seven inches in diameter, topped with the other components. The flavors were very nice and seemed to blend together. Such was not the case with the snails, as one bite would have a tart tomato spin while the next would be sweet raisin. The parmesan crisp, a serving bowl sitting on the sauce had a wonderful mouthfeel and kick. Both were excellent - I liked the snails better.

Then they brought out the 4 daily breads and refilled our wine glasses. We had a Foley Pinot Noir 2000, chosen from an extensive list (but not like the trophy one down the street) using my "if you don't know a specific bottle, choose the second least expensive from the variety you want" theory. $50.

Entrees were Tempura Jumbo Soft Shell Crabs (purple sticky rice, french beans, crispy garlic and shallots, passionfruit pondu) and Charcoal Grilled Veal Chateaubriand (carmelized fennel risotto, baby spinach, melted peppers, oyster mushrooms, shellfish emulsion.)

Again, each was excellent. The veal dish was stacked while the vegetables for the crabs were on either side of an oval platter beside the stacked other components. I didn't find the crab as flavorful as other's I've had, but I think it was due to the strong other flavors. There was much more happening on the plate than with pan-sauteed softshells. The waiter asked about temperature and the "medium" veal was mostly pink but not at all cool - I though it was perfectly cooked for my colleague's request. It was a marvelous dish and the risotto was terrific!

We split, and thoroughly enjoyed everything. We passed on desserts - the bill was $131 before tip.