• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

saag paneer

I know that I have mastered :biggrin: the art of paneer making, I want to make one of my favorite Indian dishes

saag paneer.

any recipes?

hints?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

After reading about Saag Paneer on another thread, I feel my version is far to simple and mild. Maybe that is not what you may have in mind Torakris.

If you are open to trying a mild version, let me know. I can email you the recipe, and you can try it out. Maybe even post about it and what makes it different from other versions you have had.

Mine is cooked as it would be in my home. And actually, my tested version is the simplest version I make. So the recipe I have written, is the basic saag paneer recipe. And I make them more complex depending on occasion and mix of other dishes.

INDIAN CHEESE IN AN HERBED GREEN SAUCE

Saag Paneer

Serves 4

Saag Paneer is a northern dish that originated in the states of Kashmir and Punjab. These days, cooks throughout India make it. The combination of spinach and fenugreek greens that I use in my recipe isn’t traditional to all homes although many Indians do make it that way. I grew up on it. On their own, fenugreek greens are pleasantly bitter but cooked in combination with spinach, they have a lovely, subtle woody fragrance. I particularly like the bitterness of the fenugreek in this dish because it cuts the rich dairy of the paneer. You can buy kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) at any Indian grocery store – the fresh leaves are available in Indian grocery stores and in some specialty stores during the summer. The tempering oil is traditional but not necessary. Saag paneer is traditionally eaten with chappatis and plain rice but I sometimes just toast pita bread.

Paneer (prepared before)

1 tablespoon Canola oil (for frying paneer)

10-ounce bag fresh spinach, stemmed and washed

2 tablespoons ghee or canola oil

3 whole, dried red chilies

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

5 green cardamom pods

5 whole cloves

1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

1/8 teaspoon asafetida

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger

1/4 cup chopped fresh, or dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

TEMPERING OIL (optional)

1 tablespoon ghee or canola oil

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds

1 whole, dried red chili

1/8 teaspoon asafetida

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add as many squares of paneer as will comfortably fit and brown the squares on all sides. Drain the cheese on paper towels. Continue this way to brown all of the paneer, adding 1/2 tablespoon more oil as needed. Set the paneer aside.

2. Bring about 2 inches water to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the spinach, cover and steam, stirring every now and then, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking water, and puree in a blender or food processor, adding a few tablespoons of the cooking water if necessary for pureeing.

3. Heat the ghee or oil with the red chilies, cumin, cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds in a large wok, kadai or frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the cumin turns a golden brown color, 1 to 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the asafetida. Then add the ginger and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.

5. Add the fenugreek leaves and cook, stirring, 15 seconds.

6. Add the spinach puree and the salt. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, 5 minutes.

7. Gently place the paneer squares on top of the greens. Cover and cook gently 5 more minutes. Halfway through the cooking, use a large spatula to gently turn the paneer in the spinach. (Careful, the paneer will break easily.) Taste the greens for salt.

8. For the tempering oil (if using), heat the ghee or oil with the cumin, fennel and red chili in a small frying pan or kadai over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the seeds turn a golden brown color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the asafetida and cayenne and pour immediately into the spinach mixture. Give it a stir and serve hot.

In our home, Panditji would most often make the saag paneer (we called it Paalak Paneer as kids) with raw paneer (not fried). It would taste lovely. The paneer melts in your mouth and is really very soft. You have to be very careful in your handling of paneer if you are making it this way.

I love the tempered oil. It was how we always ate it. Panditji would temper the oil and come pour it over the dish at the table. It made all the difference.

The paalak (spinach) keeps it green color in the recipe. It is not overcooked and denatured as is easy for spinach to get after being cooked even a few minutes too long.

I sometimes add onions, tomatoes and even very finely julienned bell peppers into the saag.

Makes for a wonderful variation.

You will have to saute the onions and tomatoes before you puree the spinach. You can puree them with the spinach or for another variation, leave them as is to give a tooth to the smooth sauce.

When I find fresh mustard greens, I often mix them with spinach to make this recipe. I add extra butter at the end to balance the bitterness that comes from mustard greens. Use Unsalted butter.

In India, we cook mustard seeds by themselves (Sarson Kaa Saag) and this is one of the most famous dishes from Punjab. The greens are cooked long and over a slow flame. And lots of sweet butter is used. The dish is eaten with Makkayee Kee Roti (flat bread made with cornmeal). Loads of butter is rubbed atop the prepared flatbread. It is a winter dish and a favorite of many Indians.

Sometimes, when I am in the mood to play with this recipe, I also add petite green peas into the dish.

They give a nice texture and also add to the hues of green that the dish presents the diner.

When I am adding peas, I add a little more fenugreek into the recipe. A perfect way of balancing the many flavors in the dish.

Torakris, how do you make your paneer?? Care to share the recipe?

How does it come out? What is the texture like?

DId I read correctly that you are breaking the milk with Vinegar? What do you think of the taste of vinegar in the finished product?

Have you tried eating the finished paneer by itself? Does it do something to your mouth that dairy would usually not?

Some people can detect paneer made with vinegar easily for a certain sensation it leaves in the palate.

Since you are a recent Paneer Maker, I am sure the sensations it has left you with are more alive in your palate than for many others. It would be great if you could share some Paneer notes with us. Please. :smile:

Suvir,

How much Paneer would u use for this recipe??? I love saag paneer and would love to try it.

I've never managed to make my own Paneer, it always comes out crumbly and not "sliceable".

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Suvir,

How much Paneer would u use for this recipe??? I love saag paneer and would love to try it.

I've never managed to make my own Paneer, it always comes out crumbly and not "sliceable".

FM

I am emailing you the recipe for the paneer.

Do measure how much I ask for you to use and post it here.. would you please? That would be so great. I do not have a measure for the finished paneer.

I shall email you the recipe now.

The recipe for the paneer is in your email now.

It is a fool proof recipe. Please make it without any fear.

Use half the recipe for the Saag Paneer. If you can measure the half and post here, I shall be indebted to you.

Thanks FoodMan! :smile:

Suvir thank you for all your comments and the recipe! :biggrin:

This is definitely on the menu for next week!

I have only eaten saag paneer in Indian restaurants in Japan and the ones I have tried have always been quite heavy on the ginger with chunks of tomato tossed in.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Well after long delay, I got to make the Saag Paneer tonight.

The Whole dish tasted excellent and I did take a picture but my digital camera is not cooperating and I have not managed to download any yet. I will post it as soon as I get the darn thing to work.It was a little different than the Saag Paneer I'm used to eating at restaurants (or maybe I've never had any real Saag Paneer ).

First of all it had much more cheese cubes per spinach than the restaurant ones. (The amount of Paneer used is about 1.5 cups of 1 inch square pieces. Since I do not have a scale I could not get the exact weight but I believe 1.5 cups is about 3/4 of a pound.)

Second it was not as ..."creamy", the ones in the restaurant are usually sort of creamy and a little less bright green in color. Suvir, can you clarify?? are the restaurant ones containing cream or milk??

The taste however was wonderful and the Fenugreek did indeed add a nice tasty bitterness to it.

As to what happend to the other half of the Paneer. Well I just fried them up and topped them with my last jar of Tomato chutney. Very yummy..

Thanks for the recipe Suvir.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Welcome FoodMan! :smile:

Looking forward to the photographs. You can always add less paneer or more saag.

I like the paneer to be plenty..and some like more saag. It is your personal choice and call.

Restaurants do add cream many a time and some overcook the spinach to a point where it gets dark and dull.

Glad to know the color was still bright, when the recipes was tested, three times, the color remained beautiful whilst the taste was still flavorful and tempered. I was hoping you would report the same. I am glad it worked for you.

If you scroll above, you shall see that my recipe, as I mentioned before, is very light and basic, you can play with it and add cream, spices and more stuff. I like my saag paneer, that I make when I am at home and entertaining family or friends that eat with me often, to be very simple and tasty. The creamy, spicier and more complex versions I prepare for special occasions and even then, only sparingly. There is something wonderful to my tastebuds about a mild saag paneer. The paneer is creamy and rich enough that I like the saag to be very fresh. Did you find it that way? How was your paneer?

FoodMan, I have found that many restaurants are frugal with paneer in dishes that have it.

I guess Paneer adds to food cost, not sure if it would make much difference, really, but perhaps it could be just a mindset.

Dairy is expensive in India, and maybe that mentality has remained.

I often find too much sauce and very little Paneer. It annoys me but I have begun to expect it. In our home, paneer was the main ingredient. The sauce was mantled around it.

Maybe our home was different. We grew up vegetarian, so paneer gave us protein that we needed in our diet. Maybe it was my moms way of ensuring we got plenty of paneer. Maybe I grew up enjoying what is not really the norm.

Suvir,

Thanks for your help in getting my comments posted, I have no idea why it would not work for me.

I am glad to hear that the recipe matched what you expected (nice green and with lots of Paneer). It did taste very fresh and I don't know how else to put it..."Homemade". My wife also enjoyed it since I skipped the Chillies :shock: becuase she cannot eat spicy stuff.

The Paneer itself was very easy to make and came out perfectly firm and "sliceable" yet moist.

So the addition of cream is not some Americanized version?? I guess I will try it in the next batch just to compare.

I will try to get the pic downloaded today after work and will post it as soon as I do.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Suvir,

Thanks for your help in getting my comments posted, I have no idea why it would not work for me.

I am glad to hear that the recipe matched what you expected (nice green and with lots of Paneer). It did taste very fresh and I don't know how else to put it..."Homemade". My wife also enjoyed it since I skipped the Chillies  :shock: becuase she cannot eat spicy stuff.

The Paneer itself was very easy to make and came out perfectly firm and "sliceable" yet moist.

So the addition of cream is not some Americanized version?? I guess I will try it in the next batch just to compare.

I will try to get the pic downloaded today after work and will post it as soon as I do.

FM

Not sure if the cream addition is American or even prevalent in India today.

I never grew up eating creamy saag paneer.

Always had it be very light and full of flavor.

But you know, I have lived here now over 10 years....

And my experiences in India were limited to the places I visited, certainly there could have been those that know of spots in India where cream is added.

I am happy having a few dishes be light, some have cream and others be hotter and spicier.

Glad to know the paneer came out as you describe. Glad to hear the recipe worked. Thanks for sharing the measure.