• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The pan-ya and bread in Japan

i believe the syrup is a form of a maltose syrup from rice starch. I have not found it at our local market. (The first four clerks thought I was having them for a lark.) I found a recipe online but I am a bit reluctant to make it from scratch.

The original recipe is referring to mizuame, a Japanese invert sugar. You could try using corn syrup, which is a little bit less dense than mizuame. Lyle's Golden Syrup is a little closer to the thickness of mizuame, but sweeter I would say. I think either would be fine and not ultra-critical.

Also, you may be able to buy mizuame from a Japanese grocer. (However, I wouldn't expect to find it at an "Asian" grocer, because it is a specialty Japanese product. Ask for "me-zoo-ah-may").

BTW, for the milk/cream in the recipe is this "whole milk",  "cream", or something else? I can not be certain. Google translated as "Fresh cream".

This is referring to whipped cream (typically available in two percentages in Japan), but you should be fine with the standard whipped cream in your supermarket.

hi. I have been trying to find a recipe for ShokuPan. I am aware of the doublesoft recipe from earlier in the thread:

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/e-pan/doubl.../doublesoft.htm

Has anyone on this forum made this? Any suggestions? I enjoy baking but I am not sure if the failure is mine, the recipe, or both.

I've only tried one recipe from that site, but was very pleased with the results. Judging by the overall level of care and detail put into the instructions and the site, I would tend not to fault the recipe. The author's instructions are _very_ detailed.

BTW, this is the separate thread I started with a focus on baking shokupan.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=shokupan&st=20

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I've only tried one recipe from that site, but was very pleased with the results. Judging by the overall level of care and detail put into the instructions and the site, I would tend not to fault the recipe. The author's instructions are _very_ detailed.

BTW, this is the separate thread I started with a focus on baking shokupan.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=shokupan&st=20

Thank you for all of the information. I am very encouraged. (I suspect that my challenges are part of the initial experiences of learning how to bake bread.I have heard it is both simple and hard at the same time. I do enjoy it though.)

i will follow up on that thread with the results of the recipe.

• 2 months later...

Kome ko (rice flour) has become increasing popular these days mainly due to sudden increases in the price of wheat flour.

Bread made with rice flour has also become increasing popular.

Here's is one example:

gallery_16375_5796_18223.jpg

This particular bread is made with wheat flour plus Koshihikari rice produced in Niigata. It was much better than I had expected. Soft and mochi-mochi texture.

I followed the recommendation written on the back of the package.

gallery_16375_5796_334.jpg

First apply some soy sauce, toast in a toaster oven, and eat with butter. Tasted very good!

• 1 year later...

Gosh, aren't you a little old for teenage fads! :biggrin:

I thought salted caramel was strictly for teenagers.

The rice-flour rolls are a favorite of my son2, but I find they turn to paste as soon as you take a bite.

Since I bought a rice-polisher, I've been considering incorporating rice bran into some breads.

Gosh, aren't you a little old for teenage fads! :biggrin:

I thought salted caramel was strictly for teenagers.

The rice-flour rolls are a favorite of my son2, but I find they turn to paste as soon as you take a bite.

Since I bought a rice-polisher, I've been considering incorporating rice bran into some breads.

No, I'm forever young!

Have any of you tried Funwari Shokupan from Yamazaki? I have, and I have found the crust is incredibly soft. Photos of the bread can be found here in my blog.