• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The pan-ya and bread in Japan

Is it true that all Asian baked goods are made with Sake Lees as leavening?

I just gluttonly ate two Anpans (one regular and one with an inner mochi layer w/ almond slices on top) and I cant detect a regular yeasty bread smell. And anpans are sooo soft...Softer then even American Wonderbread

I can't speak for other Asian breads, but I think many breads in Japan are made with yeast. Some bakeries boast of their using "natural yeast".

It is true that Kimura-ya (famous bakery) uses sake lees to make their anpan.

http://www.kimuraya-sohonten.co.jp/sakadane.html

Is it true that all Asian baked goods are made with Sake Lees as leavening?

I just gluttonly ate two Anpans (one regular and one with an inner mochi layer w/ almond slices on top) and I cant detect a regular yeasty bread smell. And anpans are sooo soft...Softer then even American Wonderbread

Most of the times, the yeast used in Japan (at least the ones being sold in the supermarkets) is Active-Rise Dry Yeast, which is a quick-rising yeast that doesn't require proofing -- you just dump it on top of the flour -- and with only one rise necessary. But there is not much yeast flavor. Which is actually OK, because Anpan is so sweet and the Azuki-an is really heavy that the outer bread is more like a dinner roll than an artisanal baguette.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aside from the Matcha Melon Pan I bought yesterday I have never been able to find an actual Melon Pan...

Being a single mom, its sometimes easier to use CookDo and buy frozen Karaage etc or think up shortcuts...

Would frozen bread dough, perhaps fortified with extra butter and an eggyolk, and topped with some melon flavored Pillsbury readymade sugar cookie dough, be a good and easy facsimile?

If not, has anyone been to Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ and if so do they have Melon Pan?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Aside from the Matcha Melon Pan I bought yesterday I have never been able to find an actual Melon Pan...

Being a single mom, its sometimes easier to use CookDo and buy frozen Karaage etc or think up shortcuts...

Would frozen bread dough, perhaps fortified with extra butter and an eggyolk, and topped with some melon flavored Pillsbury readymade sugar cookie dough, be a good and easy facsimile?

If not, has anyone been to Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ and if so do they have  Melon Pan?

Do you suppose that melon pans are actually melon-flavored. As you can confirm with this Wikipedia page, many melon pans are not melon-flavored. Some are melon-flavored and still others contain real melon flesh.

Melon-flavored melon-pan is pretty rare. Inside Japan I can't think of any time I've seen it except perhaps in a way that was meant to be clever (as in wordplay). It's far more common to see the standard unflavored types.

Also, any flavored melon pan tend to be convenience store variants, since those ones already start out pretty uninteresting in flavor and texture, and they need all the help they can get.

The name is supposed to have come from the decorative sugar streusel pattern, like "pineapple buns" from Hong Kong bakeries.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A recent purchase from a local pan-ya (bread shop)

gallery_6134_4148_280793.jpg

teriyaki chicken sandwich, mentaiko (spicy cod roe) on French bread and a cinnmamon roll

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I know it's not really bread, but like tonkichi, I like cheesy mochi balls.

Anybody have a recipe? I've tried looking, but I don't read Japanese and the only ones I've found in English involve grilling mochi and putting cheese on top.

I decided that Brazilian Pao de Queijo would be a good substitute, except that it's not. It's not hollow like the cheese mochi balls I get at the Japanese bakery though.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I know it's not really bread, but like tonkichi, I like cheesy mochi balls.

Anybody have a recipe? I've tried looking, but I don't read Japanese and the only ones I've found in English involve grilling mochi and putting cheese on top.

I decided that Brazilian Pao de Queijo would be a good substitute, except that it's not. It's not hollow like the cheese mochi balls I get at the Japanese bakery though.

The only cheesy mochi balls I've had in Japan are the Japanese version of Pao de Queijo (and are labelled as Pao de Queijo). A baking class I was going to take even had them as one of the breads we would make (but I didn't take the class).

Do you have a picture of your cheesy mochi balls? So I know if I've found the right recipe?

There's a recipe for mochi pan with cheese here if you scroll down a bit (it's a post by dolphin9913), but you'd have to understand....Romanian? A European language that looks Latin-based. :blink:

Actually, I think I've figured it out. 150g mochiko, 1 ounce parmesan cheese, 150mL milk, salt (I had to look that one up, and it is Romanian)

Mix the flour and cheese (and I would guess add the salt here(, then add the milk and combine. Let sit for 30 minutes. Form into balls. Bake at 180C for 28 minutes.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Prasantrin, this is the recipe I used, but no pics from me.

The only thing I did different was that I halved (I think...it was awhile back) the recipe.

But just after I hit the send button yesterday, I went visiting in the blogosphere and found this recipe. I don't think I've enough cheese or potatos, or I'd make that this weekend.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 5 weeks later...

Im eating the Melon-pan from Maido in Narberth, Pa.

Its nothing like I expected.

Its quite homey and not as dessertlike as I thought it would be...

Good for a breakfast bread I suppose.

Im drinking my fave gogo no kocha with it..

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Is it understood that melon pan usually doesn't contain any melon flesh or juice?

Is it understood that melon pan usually doesn't contain any melon flesh or juice?

Yes.

I just thought it was gonna be sweeter thats all, but it was good, I ate it all 67iww0z.jpg

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 months later...

I went shopping today, and noticed a new product from Yamazaki.

gallery_16375_4595_64870.jpg

Calcium Soft. I didn't have any intention to buy it until I saw the letters, 4枚スライス (four slices). When I got home, I toasted one slice and had it with some butter. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. YUM!! I like thick slices of bread!!

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

YUM!!  I like thick slices of bread!!

I usually get thin 8 slice, with my American sandwich tastes, but 4 slice is marvelous for the best French bread EVER.

I used to get 8-slice when I lived in Japan, for frugality's sake. And sometimes "pan no mimi" if I was really broke.

I usually get thin 8 slice, with my American sandwich tastes, but 4 slice is marvelous for the best French bread EVER.

I used to get 8-slice when I lived in Japan, for frugality's sake. And sometimes "pan no mimi" if I was really broke.

I usually get "8-slice" shokupan, too. It's only that "4-slice" shokupan is hard to come by, and I just had to grab it.

I usually get "8-slice" shokupan, too. It's only that "4-slice" shokupan is hard to come by, and I just had to grab it.

I wonder if it is a regional thing?

Where I am the 4 slice and 6 slice are sold everywhere, the 8 slice is the hardest to find. I can find it most times but 2 or 3 times out of 10 I end up with the 6 slice instead. I really love the 4 slice but am just too frugal... :hmmm:

Where I am the 4 slice and 6 slice are sold everywhere, the 8 slice is the hardest to find. I can find it most times but 2 or 3 times out of 10 I end up with the 6 slice instead. I really love the 4 slice but am just too frugal... :hmmm:

How much do each of them cost?

How much do each of them cost?

The price will depend upon the brand and then the series within the brand..

4, 6 and 8 slice breads are all the same size loaf just cut into different thicknesses, 8 slice being about the size of American sandwich and 4 being double the thickness.

The cheapest I have ever seen a package of bread is 98yen ($.86) and they can run up to 300 or 400 yen. They average price for supermarket bread is about 160 - 200 yen ($1.40-$1.75)

That is an interesting question. Down here the 8 slice is almost non-existent. Whenever I want 8 I have to go to a bakery, buy an unsliced loaf and ask them to slice it into 8. The 5 slice loaf is also very popular here.

• 1 month later...

if you live in Kyoto, Osaka, or Kobe you might want to check out this book: 京都・大阪・神戸パンの本 Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe Book of Bread. It is a list of great bread shops and their special products. Some great pictures as well. The sandwiches section made me want to go on a tri-city sandwich tour. It seems to be on display in every book store currently.

• 3 months later...

hi. I have been trying to find a recipe for ShokuPan. I am aware of the doublesoft recipe from earlier in the thread:

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/e-pan/doubl.../doublesoft.htm

I have been able to translate this with the help of Google language tools. The comments earlier on the flour protein content was great! thanks.

i believe the syrup is a form of a maltose syrup from rice starch. I have not found it at our local market. (The first four clerks thought I was having them for a lark.) I found a recipe online but I am a bit reluctant to make it from scratch.

Has anyone on this forum made this? Any suggestions? I enjoy baking but I am not sure if the failure is mine, the recipe, or both.

I have tried a few recipes but none match the shokupan I get at the store. ideas? The doublesoft is the next to try.

BTW, for the milk/cream in the recipe is this "whole milk", "cream", or something else? I can not be certain. Google translated as "Fresh cream".