• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crawish Festival

Jason Perlow

Saw this website and event mentioned on CH today:

http://www.crawfishfest.com/

Anyone going?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason,

I'll be there on Sunday diggin' into crawfish, jambalaya and etouffee. Look for recipes and story in next Wednesday's Ledger. It's a great time; rockin' music and mountains of food!

I'm holding out for Breaux Bridge where, by the way, you won't find "New Orleans Dishes and booths." :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Hi

I produce the crawfish festival. As I write this, my friends are headed up from Louisiana to cook this weekend. My parents just drove up 1350 miles to be here. Daddy will be cooking Jambalaya in 45 gallon cast iron pots, which he towed to NJ. My friend Carlton from Baton Rouge will be flying up on Thursday. Carlton is bringing 4,000 loaves of french bread he is buying in new Orleans. Carlton will be serving oyster, shrimp, couchon du lait and catfish poboy's for 7 bucks each. Not a bad price here. Carlton also owns the crawfish ponds and his in-laws will be driving them up in a reefer truck. His son runs the crawfish farm and will be up here with his wife. Jerry, of crescent city meat will be flying up. His plant in New Orleans makes our alligator sausage and smoked pork sausage for the jambalaya. Jerry will make crawfish bread, crawfish pie, muffaletta's and some other goodies. His wife and sister-inlaw will be here. Jerry brings camelia red beans to cook from scratch. Mike Murry, our pastry chef had his own bakery for years, then sold out to be retired. He did not like retirement, so now he teaches at Johnson Wales in RI, his wife will be here to help him out. The cooking is done by families here. Thats just the food, all dishes all 7 dollars or less. We have bands playing who alone would get $25 for a show in NJ or NYC. You can get 9 of your friends and get an advance rate of $17.50 each. I think that is fair and reasonable. Advance tickets are 20 each, and if you think the weather is gonna be bad and you gamble and wait till the day of the event, then you will pay $25.00 This is not a cheap event to produce, but i do love doing it. This is how I make a living. Stage and sound is 1st class, I don't mind a critique, but I do wish you would do it after you attend the event.

How much more room will you have at The Sussex fairgounds than you did at Waterloo. I have attended twice at Waterloo and am considering bring my girlfriend and our four children.

For those unfamiliar the food is fantastic and is a lot of fun.

We have a lot more room to spread out. We have added a second stage under a 6,000 sq foot tent.

The area in front of the main stage is a little bigger than waterloo, with the food being on the opposite end of the field. All parking is in one lot, with room for 4,000 cars. No shuttle buses required. Under 14 is free with parent. We will be having the Free kids tent again,with face painting, mask making and tic tac toe on the big boards with plastic crawfish and crabs. This may be my last post, its starting to get crazy, but in a good way, feel free to e-mail me, as I answer all e-mail myself , thanks for the space on your board. Glad you liked our food. Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooooooo! Did anyone go? How was it??

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Don't know. We had so much rain on sat, I didn't bother going on Sun. It was at the Sussex Campgrounds and figured it would be muddy. With 4 kids, it had disaster written all over it. I hope those that ventured had a great assortment of crawfish.