• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A la seconde

The other day I had some fabulous fresh-baked pita bread. We ate them just as soon as they were cool enough to pick up barehanded. They were incredibly soft and light, with a warm fresh wheat taste. Honestly, they were on a whole different plane than normal pita. Thirty minutes later though, the charm was gone and they were like every other pita you've ever tasted.

What other foods are best enjoyed immediately after cooking? Deep fried foods are an obvious answer, but I'm thinking more of things that are commonly consumed some time after they are initially cooked, but are infinitely better if you get them absolutely fresh.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Cookies. Warm from the oven.

cinnamon rolls (ok techically bread, but still)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kind of on topic - fresh cheese. Just last night I had some "fresh" cheese imported from Spain. It had been cut and packaged in early May according to the local re-label. Unwrapped it to find the originally label said best consumed prior to Feb 2003! No wonder it had a sour taste.

Scones.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

I had peas for dinner tonight, picked them out of the garden, shelled them and ate them all in about 15 minutes and I know that minutes count with peas.

Not quite as critical with sweet corn and asparagus--I will give ya an hour between picking and eating for those.

(The act of canning peas should be a felony punishable by death.)

sparrowgrass

A perfectly baked chicken. (Makes good leftovers but there is nothing like that first slice of breast or a juicy thigh.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

mashed potatoes.... made with a ricer, with lots of butter, heavy cream...

I'm with tissue! :biggrin: (That's not a smile, really. It's an open mouth. Shovel in the taters!)

Yeah it doesn't taste the same reheated. Such a simple thing... yet so YUMMY.

sprinkle a little chives on top....

Edited by tissue (log)

Souffles

Winner!

This reminds me a bit of a topic from a long time ago about the reverse of this--hot food people seem to enjoy more when its cold. I'm going to look for it and bump it.

LATER: Here it is. Looking at it now, its not quite the opposite, but close enough...

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I agree with tissue, mashed potatoes must be eaten directly out of the pan while still on the burner!

Almost any bread tasted best directly from the oven.

Most meat based dishes done on the BBQ, especially skewer foods (sate, shishkabobs sp?, etc) they cool down so fast and never taste quite right. I hate cold BBQ'd foods! :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"