• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flexible Molds--Is there a difference?

bripastryguy

Since Demarle brought out the flexipan many companies are trying to copy the technology, some good some bad.

I have used both the Flexipans by Demarle and the Gastro-Flex molds by Bourgeat and have not seen a real difference (except one is made from a black rubber and the other is made from an orange)

What are their differences? Is one better than the other?

I have purchased some of the gastro flex for my new venture, they seem to be less expensive than the flexipan but they only come in 1/4 sheetpan sizes, when calculated you actually get more "cavaties" for the money.

Has anyone had experience with either of these?

Anyone have an inexpensive distributor for either?

My friend went to Spain last year and actually purchased full size flexipans for $8.00 USD, anybody got a connection like this?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

After using both the flexipan and the gastroflex I think I actually prefer the gastroflex for many things.

Gastroflex has a nice sharp edge instead of the more gradual slope transition in the flexipan molds - I like that.

The gastroflex actually seems to clean up better and last longer than the flexipans (I have noticed that some of the flexipans I have are starting to deteriorate and I don't think they should.)

I like the smaller sheet size since you don't tie up as much real estate or as many resources if you want to keep something in them in the freezer

I think that the flexipan comes in a better variety of shapes and sizes although I haven't checked availability recently.

Thanks Chefette,

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 10 months later...

Considering that these silicon molds are quite pricy, I would like to find out as much information as possible before making a splurge. Other than the sizes and shapes available (and price of course), would you prefer one brand over another? To my limited knowledge, Demarle (flexipan), Gastroflex, and Martellato (Siliconflex) all make similar products. Is the quality of the products any different or are they pretty much comparable?

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

After using both the flexipan and the gastroflex I think I actually prefer the gastroflex for many things.

Gastroflex has a nice sharp edge instead of the more gradual slope transition in the flexipan molds - I like that.

The gastroflex actually seems to clean up better and last longer than the flexipans (I have noticed that some of the flexipans I have are starting to deteriorate and I don't think they should.)

I like the smaller sheet size since you don't tie up as much real estate or as many resources if you want to keep something in them in the freezer

I think that the flexipan comes in a better variety of shapes and sizes although I haven't checked availability recently.

I completely agree with all of your points, chefette. We used Flexipans a lot in school and at the Bellagio, but I bought Gastroflex (otherwise known as Silicon Flex) for use at home and I really prefer them. I just wish they were more widely available and had more options in the full-size category for cake rounds and such.

As I've posted in other threads, by FAR the best prices I've seen on Silicon Flex molds and the biggest selection is from http://www.dr.ca (you'll find the molds here). They also have amazing prices on polycarbonate chocolate molds and stainless steel ring molds. Shipping is a little bit more and not very fast coming from Canada, but the savings are often worth it.