• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderately Priced LA restaurants?

Becca

Where will you be staying? Will you have a car? What sort of food would you like? What do you want to avoid?

Here's a start.

Thai: Ruen Pair, 5257 Hollywood Blvd, Thai Town (BYOB)

Vietnamese: Pho 79, 727 N. Broadway, Chinatown

Middle Eastern: Sunnin (Lebanese), 1779 Westwood Bl, Westwood; Zankou Chicken, various locations

Indian: Ambala Dhaba, 1781 Westwood Bl, Westwood

Sushi: Hide, 2040 Sawtelle Bl, West LA (cash only)

Burgers: Thai American Express Cafe, 2903 Rowena Bl, Silverlake.

Mexican: Loteria Grill, Farmers Market, Fairfax & Beverly, MidCity; La Bonita Restaurant, 5253 Santa Monica Bl, MidCity; La Luz Del Dia, 1 Olvera Street, downtown.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'll be staying first w/ a friend in Whittier and then w/ a friend (housesitting) in Brentwood -- they both have cars. I'm not really looking to avoid anything... I live in DC and am moving to NYC so I'd like to enjoy things are are (relatively) unique or especially good in LA.

In Whittier, you'll not be too far from Renu Nakorn and some very authentic Thai (sorry, don't have the address) or from El Tepeyac, 812 N. Evergreen Ave, known for the outsized Hollenbeck Burrito. In Brentwood, you'll be close to the Getty Museum complex which is worth a visit and actually has a good cafeteria and you'll be fairly close to the beach. As a general rule, the closer you get to the water, the more expensive it gets.

not really looking to avoid anything... I live in DC and am moving to NYC so I'd like to enjoy things are are (relatively) unique or especially good in LA.

Been far too long since I've been to LA to have any kind of recommendation, but I'd think that Mexican food in the area would be "especially good in LA" in comparison to either DC or NYC, as well as fitting in with your budget. "Unique", I can't help much with.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In and around Brentwood try the following:

San Gennaro, Barrington Circle just south of Sunset, pretty good Italian food, casual, sometimes slow service so be patient and relax.

There is a whole Japanese area on Sawtelle, which is just east of the 405, between Santa Monica Boulevard and Olympic. Sushi, Japanese curry, and lots more.

Lots of fun places on Montana Avenue in Santa Monica between about 7th & 20th. Isn't that where Father's Office is? I've never been but it's supposed to have the best burger's in town.

Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica for traditional English food (there's a big English population in Santa Monica).

C&O in Venice at the end of Washington, almost at the beach. Inexpensive, basic American food. Great people watching for a more colorful southern California experience.

Gyu Kaku on the north side of Pico, east of Veteran for Japanese style Korean BBQ. Dinner only.

La Serrenata de Garibaldi. On Pico approximately across from Gyu Kaku. The west LA outpost of this East LA classic.

The Border Grill in Santa Monica brought to you by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger.

Since I don't know what "fairly tight budget" means to you, you may want to call these places but none of them are ultra, ultra pricy. Have a nice visit.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

The rule of thumb, that the closer you get to the water the pricer things get, holds true when you head west. Heading south can provide a totally different experience; I don't consider Long Beach (southerly) to be expensive at all, while the People's Republic of Santa Monica (westerly) can ring up big bucks fast. However, getting around in LA county can be a pain the the neck, simply due to it's size, so you're probably not going to hit Long Beach.

That having been said, you might as well get in some tourist stuff while you're here. For that reason, plus the food is authentic and very reasonably priced, I'll second Hollywood's recommendation of La Luz Del Dia, 1 Olvera Street. I'd go for lunch, personally, and order on the light side. Have yourself a tasty Mexican meal and a good margarita, explore the street itself (a blend of interesting history and really tacky but joyful souvineer stands), and then head down the hill just a couple of blocks to Union Station. The archetecture is glorious, and it's been used in countless film shoots. For that matter, if you really have a problem with Mexican food, Traxx is a fairly good alternative restaurant located inside Union Station, but not as unique an experience as La Luz will give you since the Traxx kitchen does contemporary American. (Their bar does serve a damn good martini or manhattan, however.)

I'd avoid anything by Feninger and Milliken, as they lack real authenticity and charge well for what they give you. Also, avoid anything served as food at the Music Center. It is mislabelled.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Also, avoid anything served as food at the Music Center.  It is mislabelled.

Generally, I'd agree with you, but I haven't been to Otto's since Patina Group took over (they seem to have a lock on food service at most museums and cultural spots these days, the Getty being a notable exception, the latter having good food).

Also, avoid anything served as food at the Music Center.  It is mislabelled.

Generally, I'd agree with you, but I haven't been to Otto's since Patina Group took over (they seem to have a lock on food service at most museums and cultural spots these days, the Getty being a notable exception, the latter having good food).

Bruce Kimmel, record producer/novelist/songwriter/the guy who made The First Nudie Musical, was seriously not impressed with Otto's or the Patina Grill on recent trips to the Music Center, and has reported same in his blog at http://www.haineshisway.com

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

In West L.A., just south of Brentwood, Juquila serves wonderful Oaxacan food--for a pittance. Lately they've been offering a special of empanada filled with huitlacoche (corn fungus--a delicacy), zucchini blossoms, and quesillo, a crumbly, salty white cheese. This is a fabulous dish at something like $6.95, and big enough for lunch. (Juquila is on Santa Monica Blvd. between Federal and Barrington). I eat there several times a week.

I know it has its detractors, but the dim sum at Royal Star on Wilshire in W.L.A. is pretty good--in fact, terrific compared to most of what you get on the east coast.

Someone already mentioned San Gennaro--if you go there you should know that the entire wine list is $10 per bottle. Yes, that's right. And they have some pretty decent Chiantis! They do have a "reserve" list that's pricier. Food is just okay, but decent antipasto and pasta and a ten dollar bottle of wine make for a fun evening.

I also like Pizzicotto Cafe in Brentwood, on San Vicente. Wonderful gnocchi and good thin-crust pizza. If you sit outside at a sidewalk table, they won't (can't) serve you wine.

If you want to pay a little more (okay, a lot more) for a special meal, there are two fantastic sushi bars in/near Brentwood: Takao, on San Vicente Blvd. and Mori Sushi on Pico Blvd.

Hope you have a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
... from El Tepeyac, 812 N. Evergreen Ave, known for the outsized Hollenbeck Burrito.  ...

Forgive me for bumping such an old thread, but I came by this post during an extensive search. I'm wondering if this is the place where my mother and I used to get delicious chicharone burritos. I vaguely remember that it was near a hospital, and a police station. It was a walk up place, with no tables inside, only picnic tables on one side.

The burritos were filled with chicharone, and spicy rice n beans.

I often dream about them :wink:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I vaguely remember that it was near a hospital, and a police station.  It was a walk up place, with no tables inside, only picnic tables on one side.

That's the place. The house burrito, the Hollenbeck, was named after the police station...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

That's the place.  The house burrito, the Hollenbeck, was named after the police station...

PERFECT! now .. please drive over .. buy as many chicharone burritos as you can carry .. freeze them ... and fedex them to me please :smile:

edit: actually Joe Blowe if this is the place you have in mind .. http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/59599 .. thats not the one I mean. The one I mean has NO space inside. It is only a walk up window? My mother can vaguely recall First Street?

Edited by tug (log)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much