• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual ice cream and sorbet flavors

zilla369

Blumenthal also is known for Bacon and Egg Ice cream....I think. He has an interesting take on the psychology of food. He believes we taste things differently based on expectations we hold in our memory....for example if we are served crab ice cream, on some level we expect it to be sweet, it being ice cream. But when we taste the dish and it is savoury our brain interprets it much differently than if it was associating it with a savoury memory....I hacked that up pretty well, but I hope you get the gist.... (Fat Duck just received it's third Michelin star!) Fat Duck Restaurant

I had the smoked bacon and egg, as well as the sardines on buttery toast ice cream at The Fat Duck yesterday (not to mention the beautiful pommery grain mustard ice cream which is served with a red-cabbage gazpacho) - and they were fantastic. Especially the first - which is served as a desert alongside a piece of french toast, and a quenelle of salty caramel.

In the second you could really taste the buttery toast, and sardines - a classic English dish of the 60's/70's. Psychologically very interesting to suddenly have these flavours coming through ice cream.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Don't know how weird this is, but I've had fruitcake ice cream. Almost a rum raisin type of thing, with home dried fruit bits mixed in. Spicy, sweet, cold, and tangy from the fruit. But the person who made it won't give me the recipe. :angry:

And if you can find it, Steen's Ribbon Cane Syrup makes a fine ice cream as well. Especially over pancakes. Pecan pancakes are even better.

I've seen a recipe, (but I didn't write it down) for a butter flavored ice cream. That should go well with lots of things. Couple it with a roasted garlic ice cream over sauteed mushrooms... ooooohhhhhh. I may have to try that at some point.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Christina's Ice Cream in Cambridge, MA may have been on the bleeding edge of the wierd flavor trend-- I remember hearing about their Clam Chowder ice cream back in the early 90's. They also would do a turkey and gravy ice cream at T'giving.

Three of my favorites are:

Marie Brizzard "Cassis" Ice Cream

Hawaiian "Poha Berry" Ice Cre

Sorbet made with Chambord and Frangelico Liquors.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

For some interesting selection of flavors, Polly Ann Ice Cream in San Franciso pushes the envelope. Including the most famous fruit Durian. :biggrin:

Polly Ann Ice Cream Flavors

There's a place in Vancouver you can get this also. I also had pickle ice cream ( better than I thought), there was gorgonzola and pear, and curry.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Don't know how weird this is, but I've had fruitcake ice cream. Almost a rum raisin type of thing, with home dried fruit bits mixed in. Spicy, sweet, cold, and tangy from the fruit. But the person who made it won't give me the recipe. :angry:

And if you can find it, Steen's Ribbon Cane Syrup makes a fine ice cream as well. Especially over pancakes. Pecan pancakes are even better.

I've seen a recipe, (but I didn't write it down) for a butter flavored ice cream. That should go well with lots of things. Couple it with a roasted garlic ice cream over sauteed mushrooms... ooooohhhhhh. I may have to try that at some point.

Gary Rhodes has a recipe for fruitcake ice cream, and Delia Smith has one for Christmas Pudding ice cream, which should be fairly similar. If you want, I'll dig them out and PM you.

Never made ice crm but these sound good

ginger orange?

black pepper and vanilla?

A green chili ice cream has been recently launched in Bombay - have not tried it yet.

Rushina

Edited to add - could I please ave the recipe for the green tea icecream itch 22, It sounds interesting.

Edited by Rushina (log)

Does red pepper count as an unusual ice cream and sorbet flavor? It was part of a dessert I had at Aquavit in NYC. Peppers aren't really my thing, but I ate it anyway. Also, red pepper isn't very kind on my digestive system so I was tasting it over and over again for the rest of the night - bleh.

Oh, and the entree that I picked that night was sort of odd too, but I guess odd by my standards. A pan seared seabass with an espresso foam. It wasn't half bad either. It added a nice smoky element to the dish. My brother's brother in law used to work at the Minnesota Aquavit, and apparently, foam is Marcus Samuelson's favorite thing.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

• 4 months later...
Every year someone makes a garlic ice cream at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, which I understand is highly overrated (the ice cream -- but the festival isn't all that great, either, IMO).
Hundreds of people at last weekend's Gilroy Garlic Festival got some practice using new touch screen voting machines. Voters cast electronic ballots of their favorite and least favorite garlic dishes.

The clear winner? Garlic bread won with 201 votes.

Garlic fries took second place with 161 votes and garlic scampi followed in third place with 115 votes.

For the second year in a row, garlic ice cream was voted the last favorite food.

seems it ain't ever gonna attract the likes of Ben and Jerry's .. ever ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"