• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual ice cream and sorbet flavors

zilla369

In my garde manger class, we spent a week on ice creams and sorbets and ended up with a lot of unusual flavors, some good, some not so good. Some of my favorites were brown sugar & creme fraiche ice cream, and a lovely, delicate grapefruit-and-tarragon sorbet.

I made blood orange sorbet for my intermezzo course in the final for that class. Unfortunately, blood oranges were out of season at the time so i had to sort of cheat and use frozen blood orange syrup, but it was a fantastic ruby/purply color.

Seen but not tasted: Michael Symon made beet ice cream on "Melting Pot"...looked tasty

Also, i'm pretty sure i saw one of the Iron Chefs serve "Old Bay sorbet" during one of the seafood challeneges. I can't even imagine that tasting good.

Anyone?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Hi

(remember me?)

Not so unusual, but I love lavender and honey ice cream. Grapefruit and tarragon does sound good.

Does anyone know where I can buy it in Chicago? I used to get it at Dean and Deluca.

Hi

(remember me?)

I do! I thanked you in my bio thread ;)

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I've had sweet corn ice cream at Mesa Grill and, yes, it is wonderful! :wub:

Someone here does a Roasted Onion Ice Cream that sounds weird at first, but apparently works well as a condiment for roast beef. You might want to do a search; he/she has mentioned it a few times, and I think also gave a recipe.

I once submitted a tomato sorbet recipe to a contest; didn't win, but it was pretty good. Flavored with tarragon and anisette.

It was my Roast Onion Icecream; but it is not original to me. John Campbell gives a recipe in "Formulas for Flavour".

Lots of savoury icecreams are trendy at the moment:

Avocado

Parsley

Grain Mustard

Blumenthals Eggy Icecream (cook the custard out so it tastes eggy)

Bacon Icecream

Chocolate sorbet, made with just chocolate and water is pretty good too

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Chocolate and jalapeno, as they do it at Restaurant Alma in the Mission District in San Francisco: intense chocolate with minced jalapeno wandering through it, not hot, but a terrific chile finish.

Soba, I would think that since both Quik and Ovaltine have dried milk in them that you would get more of a chocolate sherbet, rather than sorbet. We make wonderful chcolate sorbet with Hershey's cocao powder (and sugar).

eGullet member #80.

Having a wine dinner tommorrow....

Dessert is a dueling melon soup with Ducasse's Mascarpone Sorbet, and Green Apple-Wild Mint Emulsion. That's the best sorbet I've had in a while. It's a full-on sensory assault, a slight lemon zip and then it bleeds into a round mouthfull of sweet mascapone. Wonderful stuff....

My favorite sorbet I've made is a peach, lemon verbena, Banyuls combo. I don't know how unusual it would be considered. I posted the recipe here a few years ago. I ate scoops of Paul Lemieux's tarragon ice cream and pear sorbet together and really liked that combination.

regards,

trillium

Not so unusual, but I love lavender and honey ice cream.

Killer stuff. There are a number of lavender-based sorbetti and gelati in northern Italy. Maybe better is lavender creme brulee. I have recipes for both from the ristorante Flipot in Italy. Will post them when I get back. I make a lot of ice cream, gelati and sorbetti, and on the domestic side, the all-time favorite (as judged by my eaters) is banana rum raisin, the key being to boil the raisins in the rum to plump and soften them and fill them with the concentrated rum flavor, and also to cook the alcohol out (microwave works great, by the way). The raisins, after being thus softened first, take on a nice light crunch when frozen in the ice cream. Pinch of cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, vanilla if you like, and you have a tropical delight.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com