• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian

dinetogo

Curious - has anyone ever been to La Riviera in Clifton? I believe it's on Rte. 46. Red sauce Italian with zero ambiance, but i have to say i have a soft spot in my heart for it. Servers are dedicated and friendly, and the food (i've found) is tasty and generously portioned.

One of my personal favorites is Caffe Capri in East Rutherford. The pizza is fantastic (try the gustoso if they have it on special) but the pasta is even better. The gnocchi sorrentina gave a similar meal in Sorrento a run for its money.

I haven't seen any mention of this place on the boards here. Any other thoughts/opinions?

Also, the same person who recommended Caffe Capri also raved about a more formal and expensive restaurant in town called Jerry's. I have yet to try it. Any positive or negative experiences?

Lots of people I know rave about Jerry's in Rutherford. I think its adequate at best. I find the food to be heavy and greasy. They also give you far too much. On the occasions I've eaten there I've always left feeling bloated. Much better in my opinion is Il Villaggio situated closeby on Route 17.

Porkpa

While we're on the subject of Italian ... wanted to mention that good friends are opening a contemporary Italian restaurant in Montclair this summer. Going to be named "Fascino," meaning to charm or allure. Family owned and operated. The son will be chef - he's very talented. Has worked for the last several years at Jean-Georges; prior to that, at JUdson Grill. His mother will be pastry chef. She's a recipe developer & tester and a superb cook. For years, she headed up the test kitchen at a big magazine and now writes for Cooking Light and other publications. Should be a really warm, nice place.

Tiny little place in Ridgewood, Pasta Y Pollo, wonderful calamari, chicken marsala, chicken francise - very very casual, warm staff - located on the "other side of the rail road tracks" Godwin Ave -

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Tiny little place in Ridgewood, Pasta Y Pollo, wonderful calamari, chicken marsala, chicken francise - very very casual, warm staff - located on the "other side of the rail road tracks" Godwin Ave -

always wondered about this place. i have a take-out menu, but never felt strongly enough to go or order. isn't it really a red sauce joint?

Yes, Jerry's Osteria in Tenafly. Definitely a cut above the rest of the Italian restaurants in the area.

Stretch's in Livingston is great for "peasant" Italian - the "chicken crisp on the bone" is outstanding.

Looking for good Italian in the Eatontown area to take my husband's father out for dinner. He is a "veal parm" kind of guy, but we'd like something a little better. Any suggestions for decent Italian at the shore? Thanks.

Edited by tkrongold (log)

www.cookstour.netMy Blog