• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High-end Southern cooking

Timothy, welcome. I want to warn you that there are a lot of Neil Diamond fans here. I hope we'll see more of you, and please remember that home is the most excellent place of all.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks all for the signature advice. Once I got there I couldn't think of anything!

As for Gastronomica, there is a website: www.gastronomica.org, but it's only got one article that you can read online.

(now testing sig line -- crossing fingers)...

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

Hey, we drove Davis out of the shadows! I was about to reply that nobody who writes for Gastronomica qualifies as an amateur, but somebody beat me to the punch. Now all I have to worry about is the day Tim's regular employers get smart and set him loose on food writing. The competition will get a lot tougher.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Watch it, or I'll go back in those shadows!

I prefer "outsider." There's way too many food writers as it is -- and some damn good ones on here, even. I certainly have nothing but an autodidactic food background. I deal in marginalia, if you will. To do food writing specifically as a living would expose me for the (well-fed) fraud I am! (as might my next piece for Gastro, on that most fizzy of comestibles, Coca-Cola)

Kath, I owe you drinks. Now about that book deal....

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com