• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish story

Florida Jim

I was in my favorite breakfast place this morning when Brian came in. He told me he had driven all night; ‘back from the coast where he had been fishing. Brian deep-sea fishes and usually brings home the goods. Today was no exception.

He’d gotten Wahoo, Mahi and Yellow fin tuna. He asked me if I wanted some.

“All you’ll part with” was my response.

About three pounds of fresh (never frozen) Yellow fin went home with me and tonight I cooked it for friends and added a little caper/garlic sauce. Along with a fresh arugala and tomato salad with goat cheese, we had these wines:

Aperitif:

2001 Belle Pente, Riesling: As folks arrived we served this with a little of the goat cheese that would dress the salads later. It was very well balanced and correct to its varietal. A nice “how do you do” wine.

With dinner:

1994 Panther Creek, Res. Pinot:

something is wrong here; not corked but no better than if it had been.

1996 Roumier, Chambolle Musigny:

expansive red fruit and spice scents; very focused, almost laser-like on the palate with pure red fruit and clean earth flavors; medium length finish.

Hold. Has a better future despite being tasty now.

1996 Damoy, Chapelle-Chambertin:

vinous and earthy on the nose; lots of black fruit and dirt on the palate with a certain rusticity which is attractive and morphs into a very fine, clean red and black fruit driven mid-palate; long finish.

Ready now, but a little air helps. Not of grand cru lineage but still sensual and well-behaved.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

AHHH, the Roumier. I have not revisted the 96s in awhile- how's that searing acidity going? Toning down a little or still vibrant as all get up? I didn't buy as I should have in that vintage (alas I was a poor single mother with an infant at the time....)

over it

AHHH, the Roumier. I have not revisted the 96s in awhile- how's that searing acidity going? Toning down a little or still vibrant as all get up? I didn't buy as I should have in that vintage (alas I was a poor single mother with an infant at the time....)

It is a streamlined and focused wine, but it is neither austere or overly acidic. Its purity is its high-point, but there is no doubt that this is village wine - good village wine, but village nonetheless.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Hello Jim

well I hardly know you but let me ask you this? How have your 2001 Burgundian experiences been? Thus far, and mostly at village and 1er cru levels, mine has been dismal with Moreys standing out among the red and the whites well... and granted I have only done about 200 (maybe 8 or 10 different makers) but it is shaping up to be a washed out little vintage for me anyway. Any thoughts? It is the same with 2000 Cabs ( I love em even though I was weaned on Burgundy). So glad I stocked up on the fabulous 1999s..... for Ca that is. :unsure:

over it

... and granted I have only done about 200 . . .

I have tasted none of the 01's. I too went long on the 99 Burgs.

As for Cal. cabs.; they are of little interest to me. Actually, cabernet in general as lost much of its appeal. Pinot and lighter wines fit with the food I eat most days.

So much for me being of help.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com