• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you drink with your meals

Back when I brewed beer, it was usually beer. Then, when I lived with a wine broker, it was whatever wine was open and went tolerably well with the food. Now, it's wine or beer if I have it around, but mostly nothing.

Last night when I had no beverage, HWOE asked, How could I eat without anything to wash it down? And I thought, who has to wash anything down -- I eat slowly, I chew thoroughly. If I have anything to drink, it's as an integral part of the meal, not to a sluice. Just felt like adding that.

Is there really any reason to drink anything but wine with dinner? My wife and I share a bottle of wine every evening.

With breakfast and lunch it's usually water (sometimes juice) or sparkling water, except on weekends - then it's another bottle of wine (with lunch, not breakfast).

There are occasions when I will have a beer, Compari or Balvenie (21-year, port wood) before dinner - just to clear the palate.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The wife and I always share a bottle of wine at dinner, usually a local red - temperatures are plummeting (20C daytime,down to 14C at night), so dinner is normally inside and we tend to heartier fare for dinner. Lunch is generally alfresco, with a single glass of wine, or two, followed by a post-prandial laze under the big thorn tree on the deck- sometimes we talk, sometimes we read, sometimes we just sit.....

deck.gif

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Is there really any reason to drink anything but wine with dinner?

Cash flow.

Extra calories.

It makes me vomit

not just wine, any sort of alcohol

I can't even touch alcohol laced desserts

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Is 24 too old to be having soda with meals?

certainly yes. i'm suprised they let you buy soda at that age :wink:

LOL

Well even my mother drinks a pepsi with dinner sometimes. But yeah, I need to learn a little something about wines and start sampling those with dinner more often. I just never know what to get.

The wife and I always share a bottle of wine at dinner, usually a local red 

Great wine down your way, 'tis true -- the reds, especially. :smile:

Lovely deck, btw; looks something like ours, only we live amongst the redwoods, with nary a thorn tree in sight.

Well even my mother drinks a pepsi with dinner sometimes.  But yeah, I need to learn a little something about wines and start sampling those with dinner more often.  I just never know what to get.

You do exactly what you like. For as long as you like.

At home, we would have a Cantonese style soup as one of the dinner dishes. I slurp from the bowl during the meal, so making any other lubrication redundant.

Sometimes instead of a savoury soup we get sweet soup, which we eat at the end of the meal. In this case we would drink (cooled) boiled tap water, like everyone else in Singapore. The government says the tap water is clean, but we boil it anyway. Boiling seems to make the water taste softer.

Sometimes we fancy bubbles, esp if it is very hot. Then it would be Pellegrino; or Diet Coke.

Edited by tonkichi (log)

we sure like having wine or beer, but - on workdays, we're often tired and we'll have to think of getting the small ones to bed, and the big ones to make their school lunch and remaining home work, etc. etc. etc.

so mostly, it's tap water. :sad:

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

But yeah, I need to learn a little something about wines and start sampling those with dinner more often. I just never know what to get.

Best way to get started is to start - simply dive in and you are sure to discover what appeals to you and what does not. Perhaps you could consider buying 6 bottles of a cultivar at a time and work your way through them.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

a glass o' wine, a glass o' water (tap, although i refrigerate a pitcher of it so it's extra cold and the weird pipe flavors aren't so noticeable... :smile: ).

not very exciting.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

• 3 weeks later...

I have no first hand knowledge of the geography of drinking habits, but people tell me that wine consumption in the US is largely confined to the northeast and California. Beer and bourbon, or so I'm told, rules in the midwest and perhaps in the south.

Here in Canada, I suspect that the wine belt is a little more evenly distributed, thanks in part to the arrival post war of millions of people from the wine drinking countries of Europe.

Where do you live and what do the people in your area drink with dinner?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I am in boston/Cambridge area and everyone I know is a wine drinker. I add pastis in the summer to my drinking.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Houston... About evenly divided between wine and beer as far as I can tell. With a lot of "Mexican" food and BBQ, that probably drives some of the beer consumption. I don't see a lot of cocktails at dinner tables.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose