• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you drink with your meals

I always love reading Soba's posts to the dinner thread because he always drinks something different with his dinner. I, on the otherhand, drink only water, just plain old water from the tap. My husabnd will occasionaly have a glass or wine or a beer.

So what do you all drink with your dinner?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

At home I may have a glass of kir before dinner, but with the actual meal I prefer just water. Occasionally I'll have a beer if I've ordered take-out food like ribs, wings or pizza.

At restaurants I'll have wine because someone has ordered it for the whole table, but I'm more interested in the food than the wine.

I always love reading Soba's posts to the dinner thread because he always drinks something different with his dinner. I, on the otherhand, drink only water, just plain old water from the tap. My husabnd will occasionaly have a glass or wine or a beer.

So what do you all drink with your dinner?

With dinner, a glass of wine. Always -- well, almost always. And filtered water with a lemon or lime wedge.

Socrates has a beer during the week, drinks wine with me on weekends.

I drink a lot of water and generally a glass or two of wine. The longer, the better the meal (or wine) them more wine I'll drink. I've been known to have a beer now and then. With certain foods I prefer beer.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Martinis. I know - I know. I've been criticized because supposedly martinis dull your tastebuds. However, I've never found that to be the case. The only other person in history I know of that drank martinis with dinner was my dad (RIP). He loved his food and appreciated all the nuances of flavor therein. His wife (my mom) was a super fantastic cook and Dad and I savored our martinis before and during her fantastic suppers. Great memories.

Me: beer or wine, sometimes only water (NYC tap). Tonight, nothing (very rare).

HWOE: the same beer or wine, always PLUS water.

The specific beer or wine depends on what we're the food is.

Never, EVER flavored soda of any sort; sometimes seltzer. Very rarely cranberry juice.

Never, EVER flavored soda of any sort; sometimes seltzer.  Very rarely cranberry juice.

I think Diet Coke goes great with certain meals, like tacos or pizza (especially delivery pizza)! But that might not be because they actually go well together. More likely because I'm a Diet Coke addict.

But usually I drink:

Water, sometimes with a lemon slice, and

A glass or two of wine.

Or, depending on the meal:

Beer

Sake

Green tea, hot or cold

Oolong tea, cold

Mugi-cha (barley tea), cold

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Sometimes a martini before dinner. Usually filtered water, or a glass of red wine for me, white for hubby. Never soda of any kind.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'll bet if we had a code for everyone's id according to what they drink, we'd be able to zero in on whose restaurant and cooking advice we'd care to take very quickly. People drink some strange things. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Usually spring water or juice. 50% of the time, a glass of wine (usually white, usually Riesling).

awbrig, mjc: does Fiji water REALLY taste different/better? If so, could you explain how?

I think Coke is a requirement with hamburgers of the fried sort (i.e. not grilled burgers made with quality chopped, not ground, beef). Pizza, too. But the Coke has to be so acidic it burns; it's all part of the balance. :wink:

What I drink with a meal otherwise really depends on the meal. Most things go well with wine, so I'll frequently have a glass with my dinner. I'm not very good at the pairings yet, though, so a lot of times I just think "ew". Fried chicken and BBQ require sweet tea. Other fried foods call for beer. If none of the above, I just drink water. Hot green tea for tempura, though.

I also really like the Fiji water a lot. It feels very smooth to me (but not greasy like Vittel, which I confess I cannot stand), tastes clean, and is refreshing. I haven't had any in a long time. Maybe it's time for a trip to Trader Joe's.

Jennie

I have posted this elsewhere, but cannot resist repeating it.

I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad.

Sometimes I drink it when I am alone.

When I have company I consider it obligatory.

I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am.

Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty.

Madame Lily Bollinger on her product

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

If it's not wine, it's beer; if it's not beer, it's water.

I always have a nasty, mid-day craving for Diet Dr. Pepper (thanks for getting me hooked, Dad), but there's no way I'd touch that stuff with food.

Fiji... boy, those bottles are sure pretty. :smile:

awbrig, mjc: does Fiji water REALLY taste different/better?  If so, could you explain how?

I think it does taste different (though plenty of people here at school make fun of me for that). Like S'kat said its very smooth. Its hard to describe, it sort of has "no taste"-- I find it very clean and pure. And it definetly has no aftertaste at all.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

When you look closely at what I drink, it's really just water -- either bottled water, mineral water, sparkling water, tap water or flavored in some way (tea). Or juice/cider/fruit punch.

I'm a little envious of ppl who can drink wine and beer.

Well....just a little. :wink:

Soba